New fide rule that will help you beat your computer : )

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

emerson4301972

New fide rule that will help you beat your computer : )

Post by emerson4301972 »

Short won over Cheparinov because Cheparinov refuses to shake hand Short.

Mmmm... my computer doesn't know how to shake hands

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4397
Uri Blass

Re: New fide rule that will help you beat your computer : )

Post by Uri Blass »

emerson4301972 wrote:Short won over Cheparinov because Cheparinov refuses to shake hand Short.

This rule is illogical.
I know about few chess players who refuse to shake hands with people with the opposite sex from religious reasons.

It is not logical to decide that they lose the game when they had no problem in the past.

I also think that it is illogical to force me to shake hands with some criminal that I know that he was in prison in the last 20 years for some serious crime.

People should be allowed to show disrespect for other people.
Shaking hands is something that I usually do but I am against a rule that force me to do it and I think that short's behaviour was ugly because trying to win a game not on the board but because your opponent does not want to shake hands with you is ugly.

Uri
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

To me, it is logical that FIDE considers FIDE chess events not as appropriate places to demonstrate individual disrespect, and that such actions disturb the character of a fair sport event.

While I appreciate that, I also take note that FIDE is aware that other forms of friendly social behaviour may take place, because they explain "(...) shake hands with the opponent (or greets the opponent in a normal social manner in accordance with the conventional rules of their society) before the game starts (...)" For example, I can imagine that in a tournament between military chess teams, players salute instead of shaking hands :mrgreen:

In general, I think the tradition of shaking hands is not optimal from a health/medical viewpoint. It is clear that - for instance in periods where influenza is dangerous - viruses are spread by shaking hands. Recently, I was shocked to learn that even in a small country like Austria where I am, 3,000 people per year die from influenza. I think the traditions of shaking hands could be replaced by a similar gesture, but without actually touching each other. That would save lifes! The United Nations should propagate that.
Regards, Mike
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

Mike S. wrote:To me, it is logical that FIDE considers FIDE chess events not as appropriate places to demonstrate individual disrespect, and that such actions disturb the character of a fair sport event.

While I appreciate that, I also take note that FIDE is aware that other forms of friendly social behaviour may take place, because they explain "(...) shake hands with the opponent (or greets the opponent in a normal social manner in accordance with the conventional rules of their society) before the game starts (...)" For example, I can imagine that in a tournament between military chess teams, players salute instead of shaking hands :mrgreen:

In general, I think the tradition of shaking hands is not optimal from a health/medical viewpoint. It is clear that - for instance in periods where influenza is dangerous - viruses are spread by shaking hands. Recently, I was shocked to learn that even in a small country like Austria where I am, 3,000 people per year die from influenza. I think the traditions of shaking hands could be replaced by a similar gesture, but without actually touching each other. That would save lifes! The United Nations should propagate that.
I am glad that my opponent was not present this Saturday to play the game, I could have died when I shake hands.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

pedrox wrote:
Mike S. wrote:To me, it is logical that FIDE considers FIDE chess events not as appropriate places to demonstrate individual disrespect, and that such actions disturb the character of a fair sport event.

I am glad that my opponent was not present this Saturday to play the game, I could have died when I shake hands.
When you consider that we probably breathe in about 20,000 germs with every breath, I don't think we need to worry about shaking hands.
I'd hate to see us all walking around with face masks and gloves! :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Hi Mike,
Viruses of the Influenza spread by air,not by shaking hands :mrgreen:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:
pedrox wrote:

When you consider that we probably breathe in about 20,000 germs with every breath, I don't think we need to worry about shaking hands.
I'd hate to see us all walking around with face masks and gloves! :lol:
Correct Graham....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Uri Blass wrote:
emerson4301972 wrote:Short won over Cheparinov because Cheparinov refuses to shake hand Short.

This rule is illogical.
I know about few chess players who refuse to shake hands with people with the opposite sex from religious reasons.

It is not logical to decide that they lose the game when they had no problem in the past.

I also think that it is illogical to force me to shake hands with some criminal that I know that he was in prison in the last 20 years for some serious crime.

People should be allowed to show disrespect for other people.
Shaking hands is something that I usually do but I am against a rule that force me to do it and I think that short's behaviour was ugly because trying to win a game not on the board but because your opponent does not want to shake hands with you is ugly.

Uri

Short might have felt very hurt, and lost his good mood for the game.

Allowed to show DIsrespect? Or "be indifferent" to respect due?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Decision of the Appeals Committee in the dispute between GMs Ivan Cheparinov and Nigel Short (English)
January 20 2008 – Corus Chess Press

Decision of the Appeals Committee in the dispute between Grandmasters Ivan Cheparinov and Nigel Short (8th round Grandmastergroup B) on January 20th 2008.

The Appeals Committee (GMs Vladimir Kramnik, Michal Krasenkow, Judit Polgar) agrees that refusal to shake hands with one’s opponent before the game is an obvious violation of the behavioural norms of players in chess events.

According to the decision of FIDE Presidential Board taken in June 2007, any player who doesn’t shake hands with his/her opponent (and doesn’t do it after being asked to do so by the arbiter) will immediately lose the game.

However, according to the information obtained by the Appeals Committee, in the relevant case GM Cheparinov, after his initial refusal to shake hands with GM Short, didn’t clearly reject the arbiter’s request to do so.

Therefore:

We declare that GM Cheparinov must make a public excuse to GM Short in a written form before 11.00 hours January 21st 2008 for his refusal to shake hands.
Then the game between Ivan Cheparinov and Nigel Short has to be replayed on Monday January 21st 2008 at 13.30 hours.
Both players must shake hands at the start of the game.
Any player failing to comply with the present decision forfeits the game.
In order to avoid any conflicts in future we suggest the following procedure in similar cases: if one of the players deliberately refuses to shake his/her opponent’s offered hand at the start of the game, the arbiter shall officially warn him/her and demand him/her to do so. Only if the player again refuses to shake hand, he/she automatically forfeits the game.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Mike S. »

pedrox wrote: I could have died when I shake hands.
While this seems funny, it is a realistic danger. Maybe not in 999 from 1,000 cases, but nevertheless. So, if we have the choices:

1. keep a risky tradition, or
2. go for zero risk with no downside

what should we choose? I guess mankind is intelligent enough to respect and greet each other without touching hands. Maybe I still overestimate mankind's intelligence (despite experiences from CCC :mrgreen: )...
Regards, Mike