Linares 2008

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Philippe

Linares 2008

Post by Philippe »

Nobody is talking of the Linares Tournament here.
Time to switch for a good chess forum.
Graham Banks

Re: Linares 2008

Post by Graham Banks »

Philippe wrote:Nobody is talking of the Linares Tournament here.
This is a computer chess forum. What has Linares got to do with computer chess?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

[quote="Graham Banks"][quote="Philippe"]Nobody is talking of the Linares Tournament here.
Time to switch for a good chess forum.[/quote]

This is a computer chess forum. What has Linares got to do with computer chess?[/quote]

Hey Graham, of course it is a computer chess forum but on Rybka forum they mention this super tournament at least once.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Philippe wrote:Hey Graham, of course it is a computer chess forum but on Rybka forum they mention this super tournament at least once.
But that the forum is "good" or "bad" doesn't depend on mentioning Linares or not.
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

[quote="Ovyron"][quote="Philippe"]Hey Graham, of course it is a computer chess forum but on Rybka forum they mention this super tournament at least once.[/quote]

But that the forum is "good" or "bad" doesn't depend on mentioning Linares or not.[/quote]

I agree with this notion of "good" or "bad" but I am disapointed that nobody did not drop a single line for a fantastic tournament which started a [b]week ago[/b].
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Philippe wrote:I agree with this notion of "good" or "bad" but I am disapointed that nobody did not drop a single line for a fantastic tournament which started a week ago.
I guess that it's a tournament for humans and we're more interested about tournaments between computers.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:
Philippe wrote:Nobody is talking of the Linares Tournament here.
This is a computer chess forum. What has Linares got to do with computer chess?
I do agree here Graham 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

Ovyron wrote:
Philippe wrote:I agree with this notion of "good" or "bad" but I am disapointed that nobody did not drop a single line for a fantastic tournament which started a week ago.
I guess that it's a tournament for humans and we're more interested about tournaments between computers.
I wouldn't say that I have ever been interested in any computer tournament more than in a good human tournament.
However, this is a computer chess forum.
Thus being said, this Linares is quite remarkable, with around half of the games being decisive. Anand loses to Aronian with white, then Topalov to Carlsen (Alekhine defence, figure that out!).
Uri

Post by Uri »

Linares is just for humans. However it would be interesting to see how a top program like Rybka 2.3.2a, Zappa Mexico II and Deep Shredder XP running on fast hardware would perform in Linares.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Uri wrote:Linares is just for humans. However it would be interesting to see how a top program like Rybka 2.3.2a, Zappa Mexico II and Deep Shredder XP running on fast hardware would perform in Linares.
They would tear apart all their opposition...
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.