Pocket PC Thinkerboard update

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BeatMachine

Re: Pocket PC Thinkerboard opening book?

Post by BeatMachine »

hi Werner ,

I found some good books for Thinkermobile and other Guis for pocket pc in this link :

http://raitpref.hotbox.ru/ct-file.htm
BeatMachine

Re: Pocket PC Thinkerboard update

Post by BeatMachine »

It's question of time :wink:, i'm just waiting for this release .

Thank you Lance !
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

I finally got the UI to work on Pocket PC 2002, and tested it on a used Dell Axim that I got just days ago.

However, the engines still only work on PPC 2003 and newer PDAs. I made PPC 2002 specific builds for the engine DLLs, but still a no go - they would load but would not communicate with the UI.

For now, you should be able to use your PPC 2002 device to play on FICS and ICC. And btw, I also threw in some improvements to the built-in time seal.

As usual, its available from the chessthinker site.

Cheers!
BeatMachine

Post by BeatMachine »

Thank you very much Lance :D !
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

Hi Lance

The latest versions of the Thinker Engine don't work on my WM5 PPC. If I try to play a game against Thinker, Thinker doesn't make any moves, and the application quickly crashes. Crafty and Amy still seem to be OK.

regards
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

I suspect that it is due to the lack of memory.

Please try editing the MobileThinkerBoardCfg.txt file, and change the Thinker engine DLL to:

Code: Select all

Engine ThinkerWCEDLL.dll hashsize=3
If that does not work still, try a hashsize of 1.

I actually have code in there that detects the available memory and adjusts the hashsize if it won't fit. Maybe in WM5, it does not work correctly.
James Constance

Hi Lance

I usually have about 11Mb of RAM to play with.

I tried setting the hash to 3 and then to 1, but the behaviour was the same. On the 3m + 1s, with Thinker playing black, after I make the first move, Thinker's clock counts down to 2:54 and then the application disappears!

Hope this is useful info.

regards
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

The program is terminating because of stack memory overflow in the recursive search.

I suggest that you free-up some more memory and try again (starting with hashsize=1).

I'll do something with the engine to reduce its memory requirement. But that fix would take a while. For now, you would have to make sure that there is enough free memory for the engine to run.

Cheers!
James Constance

Hi Lance

There's no more memory for me to free up - after a soft reset my ipaq 1950 only has about 12.5Mb. As I said before, even with the hash=1, the program crashed.

Good Luck!

James