Impressive Preliminary Results of Rybka 3 by Larry Kaufman!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milton

Impressive Preliminary Results of Rybka 3 by Larry Kaufman!

Post by Milton »

By lkaufman Date 2008-07-08 09:51 Since yesterday I've been testing a version of Rybka that is very close to Rybka 3, with the improved scaling and all my latest eval terms added. I'm running it against 2.3.2a mp. It appears that on a direct match basis, we will reach the goal of a 100 Elo gain, at least on quads. As of now, after 900 games total, the lead is 110 Elo (105 Elo on quads, 120 on my octal). This is with both programs using the same short generic book, each taking White once in every opening. To achieve this result Rybka 3 has to win about 4 games for each win by 2.3.2a on the quads and about 5 for 1 on the octal, due to draws. How this will translate to gains on the rating lists remains to be seen.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Impressive Preliminary Results of Rybka 3 by Larry Kaufm

Post by mclane »

what the people want is to buy this program.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Milton wrote:By lkaufman Date 2008-07-08 09:51 Since yesterday I've been testing a version of Rybka that is very close to Rybka 3, with the improved scaling and all my latest eval terms added. I'm running it against 2.3.2a mp. It appears that on a direct match basis, we will reach the goal of a 100 Elo gain, at least on quads. As of now, after 900 games total, the lead is 110 Elo (105 Elo on quads, 120 on my octal). This is with both programs using the same short generic book, each taking White once in every opening. To achieve this result Rybka 3 has to win about 4 games for each win by 2.3.2a on the quads and about 5 for 1 on the octal, due to draws. How this will translate to gains on the rating lists remains to be seen.
So Vas strikes again?
Nid Hogge

Post by Nid Hogge »

Great, So now you will to be able to watch Rybka win 1000-0 against everyone, instead of 999-1.

Hooooooooray.

Compe-what?
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

i wonder WHEN we will be able to test the program ourselves.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

mclane wrote:i wonder WHEN we will be able to test the program ourselves.
The Aquarium GUI is not finalized yet, so... I will guess August, but that's all it is: a guess. No inside info.

GUI looks spectacular. A truly huge leap for Convekta.

Albert
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Milton wrote:As of now, after 900 games total, the lead is 110 Elo (105 Elo on quads, 120 on my octal). This is with both programs using the same short generic book, each taking White once in every opening. To achieve this result Rybka 3 has to win about 4 games for each win by 2.3.2a on the quads and about 5 for 1 on the octal, due to draws. How this will translate to gains on the rating lists remains to be seen.
This result of Rybka 3 beta - Rybka 2.3.2a = 64.5% for Rybka 3 beta.
Means that Rybka 3 beta is +105 ELO more for Rybka 2.3.2a

Jeroen gave these results:
Rybka Leiden (Rybka3.ctg) - Rybka 2.3.2a (RybkaII.ctg) 72-28
Means that Rybka 3 Leiden(R3.ctg) is +164 ELO more for Rybka 2.3.2a(RII.ctg)

Rybka Leiden (R3.ctg) - Toga II 1.4beta5c (Compmaster.ctg) 80.5-19.5
With +66 -5 =29 !!!!! Kills the competition!
Means that Rybka Leiden(R3.ctg) is +246 ELO more for Toga II 1.4beta5c (Compmaster.ctg)

And Rybka Leiden was a more old version. The newest Rybka 3 beta against it:
Rybka 3 beta (Rybka3.ctg) - Rybka Leiden (RII.ctg) 65-35
Means that Rybka 3 beta(R3.ctg) is +108 ELO more for Rybka Leiden(RII.ctg)

From all that we can assume that:
•Rybka 3 will be a lot stronger than Rybka 2.3.2a (in games between them, but i guess this will translate generally in games against other engines or humans too)
•Rybka 3.ctg book is a lot stronger than Rybka II.ctg book.
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Nid Hogge wrote:Great, So now you will to be able to watch Rybka win 1000-0 against everyone, instead of 999-1.

Hooooooooray.

Compe-what?
Shredder dominated for ages. Now it's Rybka's turn. I think that it is wonderful that we can get analysis of this level for the cost of going to a baseball game.

Eventually, even Rybka will be dethroned. After all, "a dragon lives forever, but not so, little boy."
Nid Hogge

Post by Nid Hogge »

George Tsavdaris wrote:
Milton wrote:As of now, after 900 games total, the lead is 110 Elo (105 Elo on quads, 120 on my octal). This is with both programs using the same short generic book, each taking White once in every opening. To achieve this result Rybka 3 has to win about 4 games for each win by 2.3.2a on the quads and about 5 for 1 on the octal, due to draws. How this will translate to gains on the rating lists remains to be seen.
This result of Rybka 3 beta - Rybka 2.3.2a = 64.5% for Rybka 3 beta.
Means that Rybka 3 beta is +105 ELO more for Rybka 2.3.2a

Jeroen gave these results:
Rybka Leiden (Rybka3.ctg) - Rybka 2.3.2a (RybkaII.ctg) 72-28
Means that Rybka 3 Leiden(R3.ctg) is +164 ELO more for Rybka 2.3.2a(RII.ctg)

Rybka Leiden (R3.ctg) - Toga II 1.4beta5c (Compmaster.ctg) 80.5-19.5
With +66 -5 =29 !!!!! Kills the competition!
Means that Rybka Leiden(R3.ctg) is +246 ELO more for Toga II 1.4beta5c (Compmaster.ctg)

And Rybka Leiden was a more old version. The newest Rybka 3 beta against it:
Rybka 3 beta (Rybka3.ctg) - Rybka Leiden (RII.ctg) 65-35
Means that Rybka 3 beta(R3.ctg) is +108 ELO more for Rybka Leiden(RII.ctg)

From all that we can assume that:
•Rybka 3 will be a lot stronger than Rybka 2.3.2a (in games between them, but i guess this will translate generally in games against other engines or humans too)
•Rybka 3.ctg book is a lot stronger than Rybka II.ctg book.
Oh Jeebus. I wonder when the others will catch up. Hiarcs 22? Deep Shredder 500? Fritz QuadBillion?

This is going to look ugly fellas. Not that it's not like that already, you know. But this is going to be pure abasement. Bah.
Nid Hogge

Post by Nid Hogge »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Nid Hogge wrote:Great, So now you will to be able to watch Rybka win 1000-0 against everyone, instead of 999-1.

Hooooooooray.

Compe-what?
Shredder dominated for ages. Now it's Rybka's turn. I think that it is wonderful that we can get analysis of this level for the cost of going to a baseball game.

Eventually, even Rybka will be dethroned. After all, "a dragon lives forever, but not so, little boy."
Yes, But did it have such a large gap over No.2?

Did it improve 100~ ELO with every version? I remember Shredder 7.04, Shredder 8, And Shredder 9 wer'e pretty much the same, with some really minor strength improvment.

Also, It never had such a large performance gap over the competition when it was on the verge of releasing a new version. And when a new version did come out, they wer'e minimal.

What wer'e seeing with rybka is completely different if you ask me. Such a large disparity between itself and the other competitors. and wer'e not seeing them catching up at the desired rate. Sure, it will be dethroned, sooner or later. This is the nature of all things, And that's the way it should be. Ofcourse, it's wonderful to see things progress and playing level that we never seen before. I just wish there wer'e more capable competitors, so we could really the highest level of games and have some fun.

Really, no competition equals no fun. Just look at the OS and the CPU Business.