To Jeroen and interested minds, re. Tiger node count

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jeroen

Re: To Jeroen and interested minds, re. Tiger node count

Post by Jeroen »

Huh? You must be kidding. Calling me a 'collaborator' (which is a very negative word in the Dutch language) is pretty offensive, so I am filing an official complaint here. I don't accept such language, especially not from a moderator.

So basically other programmers can question anything about Rybka and not vice versa. OK, you made that perfectly clear.

In that case I wish you a lot of success with the 'impartial CCC where everybody can ask what he wants'. Maybe you should change its name into 'The Anti Rybka Forum'.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks Christophe. At least you use respectful language, which I cannot say about Chris W unfortunately.

As I told in the Rybka forum I enjoyed working together with you (do you still have my paper regarding CT improvements?) and we celebrated successes and I have always admired you as a person. I recall Paderborn 1999, where we went together with Ed. Very nice time, enjoyed it :-).

My question regarding the node count was not made as 'the other side', but as a Tiger customer. I bought CT 14 and 15 from ChessBase, so therefore I'd like to know - as a user of these products - if I get the right node count on my screen. That was the basic question.

In any case I'd like to wish you all the best, for you and your family!

Kind regards, Jeroen
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

jeroen, nobody has anything against you or the rybka team in general. nor against the product rybka.

collaborate means e.g.
1 : to work jointly with others or together especially in an intellectual endeavor
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/collaborator

this is not an anti rybka forum. why should it.
i remember paderborn. and how anybody jumped into the air in the last round... even ed did.
tiger

Post by tiger »

Mike S. wrote:
tiger wrote: I'm just waiting for a confirmation that we are going to play with the cards on the table.
I am almost sure you are a better chess player than a poker player. :mrgreen: Because with your first reply above, you have actually given the main answer already. Because if Tiger would "like anybody else" simply and normally count nodes which have an (almost) clear definition, as Bob Hyatt has explained, than there would be no need for talk like that...

But I think neither that this is a very interesting question. Also, I do not assume that Vas Rajlich is interested how Tiger counts nodes. But who knows. Anyway, I would not bet on it.

From the user viewpoint, it is of course desireable that any engine (but especially commercial engines) count and report nodes and kN/s in a standard way, if such a quasi or de facto standard exists. We don't want phantasy numbers. But I am afraid the opinions about if such a standard exists and/or if a programmer has to follow it, will be different among different persons.

Contrary to what you think, there are legitimate reasons to count nodes differently.

If Rybka has a legitimate reason to count the way it counts, the offer could be taken by the Rybka team. They must somehow be concerned by the questions about their node counts, as somebody from the team is trying to play it smart by returning the question.

My offer is a sure way to put an end to these questions.

// Christophe
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

In Spanish there is a saying that says: the "pela" is the "pela"

pela refers to the old currency used in Spain before the arrival of the euro (the peseta), 1 euro = 166 pesetas
tiger

Post by tiger »

Jeroen wrote:Thanks Christophe. At least you use respectful language, which I cannot say about Chris W unfortunately.

As I told in the Rybka forum I enjoyed working together with you (do you still have my paper regarding CT improvements?) and we celebrated successes and I have always admired you as a person. I recall Paderborn 1999, where we went together with Ed. Very nice time, enjoyed it :-).

My question regarding the node count was not made as 'the other side', but as a Tiger customer. I bought CT 14 and 15 from ChessBase, so therefore I'd like to know - as a user of these products - if I get the right node count on my screen. That was the basic question.

In any case I'd like to wish you all the best, for you and your family!

Kind regards, Jeroen

Jeroen, you must be kidding.

You are working in the Ryba team after having worked in the Tiger team, and let's not forget the Rebel team, and now you come here and present yourself as a simple customer?

I would say that's a quite a demonstration of the purest form of modesty. ;-)

// Christophe
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

A collaborator in the Dutch language means f.e. Dutch people who joined the Nazis during world war II and betrayed their own people. So maybe now you understand why I am upset?
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Well, yes :-). I am buying products, you know!? So then I am a customer. And I bought CT 14 and 15, paid money for it and hence I am a customer of the CT products.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

as somebody from the team is trying to play it smart by returning the question.

Which you refuse to answer (and I know why :-)).
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Chris W uses the word 'collaborator' and here is a link where you can see what this means:

http://www.mijnwoordenboek.nl/vertalen.php

Collaborator: 'a traitor to one's country'.

So a mod uses this word addressing me. I'd like official excuses for this.