Last Rybka Thread for now...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Last Rybka Thread for now...

Post by Graham Banks »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Because they have tunnel vision. They're only interested in discrediting Rybka it would seem.
Fritz 11 is based on Fritz 10, Fritz 10 on Fritz 9 and so on. Same for Naum. Be sure some people check this.

Rybka 1.0 Beta is not based on Rybka 1.6.1. It's a rewrite -> A new engines. And it has similaries that Fritz, Naum and all others do not have... Thats why some people take a closer look...
In order to convince people that this is not just a Rybka witch hunt, perhaps your group should be putting other top engines under the microscope also.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
bob

Post by bob »

Damir wrote:Yes, but Rybka 1.0 beta was 100 elo stronger than commercial version of Fruit when it was released.
Surely some of the ideas were unlike to be found in Fruit which make the Rybka 1.0 beta no Fruit like.
Fruit was probably 100 elo better than other programs when _it_ was released...

But that isn't the point.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Zach Wegner wrote:
chrisw wrote:Yes, I sent it and yes he has responded.

He says he is going to wait for some sort of formal statement as it seems this is in the works. Maybe, he says, at the end they'll just retract everything and apologise.
Are you serious? So any questions we give to Vas can just be ignored if he thinks it's not "complete"?

And of course, you will be right there to support that.
Sounds fair enough to me Zach.
Present your case in its entirety so that Vas can respond. Much better to do this rather than a piecemeal approach.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

what's the point?
bob

Post by bob »

Uri Blass wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Because they have tunnel vision. They're only interested in discrediting Rybka it would seem.
Fritz 11 is based on Fritz 10, Fritz 10 on Fritz 9 and so on. Same for Naum. Be sure some people check this.

Rybka 1.0 Beta is not based on Rybka 1.6.1. It's a rewrite -> A new engines. And it has similaries that Fritz, Naum and all others do not have... Thats why some people take a closer look...
No evidence that Fritz11 is based on Fritz10
It may be a rewrite.

Uri
No evidence, but "logical reasoning" suggests that is true. we are currently on crafty version 22.x, and I have _not_ rewritten everything from version to version. There are still parts of crafty v1.0 in the current code.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Graham Banks wrote:In order to convince people that this is not just a Rybka witch hunt, perhaps your group should be putting other top engines under the microscope also.
I could really care less what people think about my motivations. Facts are facts.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Zach Wegner wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:In order to convince people that this is not just a Rybka witch hunt, perhaps your group should be putting other top engines under the microscope also.
I could really care less what people think about my motivations. Facts are facts.
Fair enough. I guess that's where we differ. I do care about what others think.

Cheers, Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
bob

Post by bob »

Damir wrote:what's the point?
Was a program written from scratch, or did an author copy program A and then modify it to make program B.
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

Graham Banks wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:

In order to convince people that this is not just a Rybka witch hunt, perhaps your group should be putting other top engines under the microscope also.
In order to do that you first need some initial suspicion, at least in my book. In case of Rybka Beta it was the UCI output similarity discovered by Alexander Schmidt.
A strength improvement alone can not be a justification for that.
Morsch managed to improve his program before Rybka.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dr.Ex wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: In order to convince people that this is not just a Rybka witch hunt, perhaps your group should be putting other top engines under the microscope also.
In order to do that you first need some initial suspicion, at least in my book. In case of Rybka Beta it was the UCI output similarity discovered by Alexander Schmidt.
A strength improvement alone can not be a justification for that.
Morsch managed to improve his program before Rybka.
I believe that others do have their suspicions and have had them for a while.

Regards, Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com