Denis, Norman, JAblett- Can you help me with Grapefruit?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

Denis, Norman, JAblett- Can you help me with Grapefruit?

Post by geots »

I have a dual core Vista box, and i already have Grapefruit 1.0 b1j loaded and it works perfectly. Then last night i tried to load Grapefruit Alpha 3 and the new Grapefruit Beta into Chessbase GUI. Each one says the exe has stopped working and it needs to close when i try to load the engine. then i go back to the engine folder in Chessbase engines, and try to run each exe. I get the same message: the exe has stopped working and needs to close. I would really really like to load these engines. Could anyone tell me what might be wrong and what i might do- considering the 1.0 b1j is working fine? I would greatly appreciate help here.

Thanks much,

George
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: Denis, Norman, JAblett- Can you help me with Grapefruit?

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hi George,

Denis wrote that he had problems with the latest Sourceforge Grapefruit Alpha version on his 64-bit operating system and maybe similar with the later version. Maybe that is the same you see with your Vista computer?

Denis made a new compile, could be even faster as Denis' compiles are usually fast. I'm assuming this is the latest version of Grapefruit, I have not tried it myself.

Denis writes on Toga forum;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: GRAFEFRUIT 1 ALPHA 3
by Denis P. Mendoza on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:28 am

Grapefruit has been updated this Nov. 30. I had problems with the released compile so i made an all-purpose one (w/ and w/out icon). Now it's running well for me, even on older pc too.

Get tit here.

http://computerchessengines.mylivepage. ... /1325/4031

PS. Maybe I'll do the 'up to 32 threads later' for jpqy for his benchmarks..sorry i forgot Denis P. Mendoza
Best,
Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
kranium

Post by kranium »

geots wrote:I have a dual core Vista box, and i already have Grapefruit 1.0 b1j loaded and it works perfectly. Then last night i tried to load Grapefruit Alpha 3 and the new Grapefruit Beta into Chessbase GUI. Each one says the exe has stopped working and it needs to close when i try to load the engine. then i go back to the engine folder in Chessbase engines, and try to run each exe. I get the same message: the exe has stopped working and needs to close. I would really really like to load these engines. Could anyone tell me what might be wrong and what i might do- considering the 1.0 b1j is working fine? I would greatly appreciate help here.

Thanks much,

George

George-

'the exe has stopped working and needs to close.'

sounds like Windows is indicating the engine is still active (hung) in memory..i.e. didn't end properly after last run...

use the task manager to kill the process (es)...
or
simply reboot.

after that i suggest: go directly to UCI options and test with 1 thread...(i.e. set maxthreads=1) before trying to run it again.

(grapefruit sets the # of threads = number of logical processors that exist on the target machine, on a dual-core i believe this=4).
Michel

Post by Michel »

Linux version of 1.0a3 seems to work fine on dual core 64bit :D

I only tried a gcc compile.
Denis P. Mendoza

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

geots wrote:I have a dual core Vista box, and i already have Grapefruit 1.0 b1j loaded and it works perfectly. Then last night i tried to load Grapefruit Alpha 3 and the new Grapefruit Beta into Chessbase GUI. Each one says the exe has stopped working and it needs to close when i try to load the engine. then i go back to the engine folder in Chessbase engines, and try to run each exe. I get the same message: the exe has stopped working and needs to close. I would really really like to load these engines. Could anyone tell me what might be wrong and what i might do- considering the 1.0 b1j is working fine? I would greatly appreciate help here.

Thanks much,

George
I'm sure this is related to egbbdll.dll usage. At the moment, you may still use Grapefruit 1.0 beta w/out bitbase support. Just rename egbb folder and see if it works (temporarily). It will state :

Code: Select all

Grapefruit 1.0 beta based on Toga II 1.4 beta5c.
EgbbProbe not Loaded!
Denis
geots

Post by geots »

Thanks to all the guys who have answered trying to help me here, but nothing has worked. I can tell you before i even try that i can transfer the files to my XP box and wont have a problem. I have seen this before, and its just this damn Vista. I even tried going from Control Panel to Data Execution Prevention and listing the exe so it would be allowed, and even that wont work. Hell with Vista. But thanks to you all.

Best,
Denis P. Mendoza

So sorry George. I only made my last statement as I had managed to use the default Grapefruit on my WinXP x64. I usually had this fault before:

http://www.freewebs.com/computerchessen ... D=19164569

Then click, "click here", and another dialogue box showing the error signature. It shows who's the culprit - egbbdll.dll.

http://www.freewebs.com/computerchessen ... D=19164570

I tried many other crazy ideas that may or not work:
1. rename the egbb folder
2. remove the egbb folder
3. use 3-4 men (with older egbbdll.dll v1.0 or any other older version below 3.1)
4. default eggb folder with only egbbdll.dll (old version) - no bitbases
5. used different versions of bitbases (mixing the old and new dll)
6. used my own generated 3-4 men bitbases using v1.0 (DC sources)
7. use polyglot..get polyglot.ini from polyglotGUI using my own compile, edit egbb folder (or whatever), set Max threads to 1 and use it on default binary..... etc...

I still hope something here would help.

Are the other Vista users experiencing this? We need help here!

Denis
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hello Denis, someone on Rybkaforum suggested a 64-bits compile of the egbbdll.dll would be needed. I don't think we need the egbbso.so for the UCI funtionality? Daniel Shawul I believe has made the sources public. But maybe he would have a better idea. We could put a question in the Winboard Forum about it hoping Daniel finds it there, or maybe you could take a look at the code?

It seems like the best thing to try as a cure for the problems on 64-bits operating systems.

For George and other Vista owners, I just came across a small article that says the final version of Service Pack 2 for Vista is on the way, now still in Beta. http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/techn ... 764371.stm
Several hundred bugfixes :roll: Final version expected early 2009 but not more precise than that. I don't think it will help with this egbbdll.dll kind of incompatibility though.

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
geots

Post by geots »

Denis P. Mendoza wrote:So sorry George. I only made my last statement as I had managed to use the default Grapefruit on my WinXP x64. I usually had this fault before:

http://www.freewebs.com/computerchessen ... D=19164569

Then click, "click here", and another dialogue box showing the error signature. It shows who's the culprit - egbbdll.dll.

http://www.freewebs.com/computerchessen ... D=19164570

I tried many other crazy ideas that may or not work:
1. rename the egbb folder
2. remove the egbb folder
3. use 3-4 men (with older egbbdll.dll v1.0 or any other older version below 3.1)
4. default eggb folder with only egbbdll.dll (old version) - no bitbases
5. used different versions of bitbases (mixing the old and new dll)
6. used my own generated 3-4 men bitbases using v1.0 (DC sources)
7. use polyglot..get polyglot.ini from polyglotGUI using my own compile, edit egbb folder (or whatever), set Max threads to 1 and use it on default binary..... etc...

I still hope something here would help.

Are the other Vista users experiencing this? We need help here!

Denis

Hi Denis. Thank you for your concern. It is appreciated. I thought i should tell you that Jim Ablett compiled an exe of alpha 3 that will work on my Vista, and Graham gave me one of your links that has the GrapeFruit 1.0 Beta and the all-purpose 1.0 Beta exe in the file, and i loaded the 1.0 Beta (not the all-purpose one) and it also works fine in Vista. So thanks to you and Jim Ablett, i now have alpha 3 and 1.0 Beta loaded and working great. Again, thanks for your compile and your concern.

Best Always,

George
Denis P. Mendoza

Eelco de Groot wrote:Hello Denis, someone on Rybkaforum suggested a 64-bits compile of the egbbdll.dll would be needed. I don't think we need the egbbso.so for the UCI funtionality? Daniel Shawul I believe has made the sources public. But maybe he would have a better idea. We could put a question in the Winboard Forum about it hoping Daniel finds it there, or maybe you could take a look at the code?

It seems like the best thing to try as a cure for the problems on 64-bits operating systems.

For George and other Vista owners, I just came across a small article that says the final version of Service Pack 2 for Vista is on the way, now still in Beta. http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/techn ... 764371.stm
Several hundred bugfixes :roll: Final version expected early 2009 but not more precise than that. I don't think it will help with this egbbdll.dll kind of incompatibility though.

Eelco
This problem is case to case. and I pedict it's just a compiling issue.

what you mentioned solves the crashing because it doesn't initialize the dll, it's as if there's none. Even my 32-compiles won't initialize EGBBprobe. Only a 64-bit Grapefruit can call the 64-bit egbbdll.dll.

The egbbso.so is probably a Linux counterpart of Windows egbbdll.dll. The 64-bit dll was supposedly made to make use of the bitbases when using 64-bit (egbb enabled) engines like, Sloppy, Scorpio and/or 64-bit Togas.That was the reason why I requested the new sources from Daniel Shawul. CCRL testers noticed that Scorpio64-bit can't access the bitbases.

Master Jim already compiled and included it on his 64-bit Sloppies and Scorpios. I've made mine too in some thread with Ray Charles at CCRL regarding this egbb 64-bit problems of Scorpio.

I've informed Vadim about this and he'll probably resolve this on his next update.

Thanks Eelco.

Denis