CCT 11: Games so far...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: CCT 11: Games so far...

Post by Damir »

Why not move this event on the Playchess server, since it is much more stable than the one on ICC ??
Damir

Post by Damir »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Damir wrote:It seems that CCT11 event is not stable and should never have been run in the 1st place, if such games can occure where the losing side should be awarded a win because of engine error or crash on the benefit of another engine..... It happened in previous event, and it still happens.
Should not the TD make sure such thing no longer occurs, as he is the one responsible, that everything runs smoothly ?
Such results give wrong impressions to the audience.
How does an engine crash make the CCT11 event unstable?
because it happens way too often, and not enough has been done to prevent such thing??
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Damir wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Damir wrote:It seems that CCT11 event is not stable and should never have been run in the 1st place, if such games can occure where the losing side should be awarded a win because of engine error or crash on the benefit of another engine..... It happened in previous event, and it still happens.
Should not the TD make sure such thing no longer occurs, as he is the one responsible, that everything runs smoothly ?
because it happens way too often, and not enough has been done to prevent such thing??
That is the responsibility of the engine author/operator nothing to do with CCT.
swami

Post by swami »

Damir wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Hyatt(64): I have a solution for those kinds of bugs. Play about 5 million games a week and you wont have 'em. :)

Ofcourse Bob is exaggerating but he put it quite right.
Damir

Post by Damir »

Let's move CCT11 event on Playchess Server, than we will see how many crashes will be there... My guess is none
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Damir wrote:It seems that CCT11 event is not stable and should never have been run in the 1st place, if such games can occure where the losing side should be awarded a win because of engine error or crash on the benefit of another engine.....
The losing side was not awarded a win because the winning side crashed: It was awarded because the winning side resigned. Apparently, there was some sort of bug in the program that caused it to automatically resign when disconnected. That a program loses because a bug causes it to resign is no more unfair than that a program loses because a bug causes it to make a bad move.

The TD's decision was therefore entirely correct, but I think this incident does illustrate what I'm been trying to say earlier: The ICC and its protocol are designed for humans, and are unnecessarily difficult for computer players. There are too many technical problems. I would like to see a special server and protocol designed exclusively for running official computer vs computer tournaments, and where an effort is made to make everything as simple as possible for the participants.

Tord
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Damir wrote:Let's move CCT11 event on Playchess Server, than we will see how many crashes will be there... My guess is none
That would be even worse: That server is proprietary, and many of us wouldn't be able to play there at all.

Tord
Damir

Post by Damir »

You can create a nick there for 30 days, after that it will expire, and you would no longer be able to use it unless you renew it by buying a serial from Chessbase...
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Damir wrote:Let's move CCT11 event on Playchess Server, than we will see how many crashes will be there... My guess is none
Absolutely not. I will never play there, and its not even possible if i wanted to.
Damir

Post by Damir »

why not try and make a vote ?