The Fate of Future WCCC's..??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

The Fate of Future WCCC's..??

Post by Steve B »

seems to be in the hands of the programmers themselves:

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2434

Steve
Christopher Conkie

Re: The Fate of Future WCCC's..??

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Steve B wrote:seems to be in the hands of the programmers themselves:

Steve
It's a good idea. 30 voters i make that.

I always knew that one day EtaBeta might "beat" Rybka.

Go vote Nietta go go go.....

:lol:

Christopher
bob

Post by bob »

Steve
Sorry but it isn't. We were polled this year, but then told "it is too late to change it back" even though no one had voted to change it to 8-core-max in the first place. The ICGA will do what it wants, or what it is pressured to do by parties unknown.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

bob wrote:

Steve
Sorry but it isn't. We were polled this year, but then told "it is too late to change it back" even though no one had voted to change it to 8-core-max in the first place. The ICGA will do what it wants, or what it is pressured to do by parties unknown.
I know that several voted for the limit. Although last time it was not a formal vote. At the players meeting in Pamplona many favoured the limit or uniform hardware.
Maybe you are using the 'Royal' we? ;-)
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

bob wrote:

Steve
Why do you think it should be unlimited?

Surely an unlimited use of hardware encourages larger hardware and not better search and eval?

We have a parallel here in football whereby the richest clubs always win because they can buy the best players. This is why the World Cup (country based) is more important than any club tournament.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Christopher Conkie wrote: Surely an unlimited use of hardware encourages larger hardware and not better search and eval?
No.

(If you want an explanation why, just look up the 100 other threads about this)
Harvey Williamson

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote: Surely an unlimited use of hardware encourages larger hardware and not better search and eval?
No.

Please give us 100 links ;-) I would also like to know of those shouting on the forums how many have played in the last 5 years?
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Harvey Williamson wrote:I would also like to know of those shouting on the forums how many have played in the last 5 years?
Maybe a few didn't play anymore because they don't like what's happening with the event. Like the 8-core rule.

Organizations which only listen to happy customers usually don't last long.
Harvey Williamson

Harvey Williamson wrote:I would also like to know of those shouting on the forums how many have played in the last 5 years?
Maybe a few didn't play anymore because they don't like what's happening with the event. Like the 8-core rule.

Organizations which only listen to happy customers usually don't last long.
You sound like you are not a happy customer although you will probably get a vote. I do not see why any reasonable person would object to 5 years. Why should those that do not play get a vote? Surely the event is primarily for the teams that can be bothered to turn up and pay the entry fees.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
No.

Please give us 100 links ;-) I would also like to know of those shouting on the forums how many have played in the last 5 years?
Well the audience is important, as well as the players. Delicate balance. If the players don't like the rules, they won't play, and if the audience don't like the rules they won't follow the tournament. Maybe some players won't care about that, but I do believe that is what the WCCC is all about - putting on a show for the chess community. So in a way the people shouting on the forums' opinions are the most valuable of all.