Glaurung and Abaia Ipod version

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Glaurung and Abaia Ipod version

Post by AdminX »

Are Glaurung and Abaia still at the same version level? I just bought a 32GB Ipod Touch and wonder if I should jailbreak it for Abaia.

Thanks
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: Glaurung and Abaia Ipod version

Post by Tord Romstad »

AdminX wrote:Are Glaurung and Abaia still at the same version level? I just bought a 32GB Ipod Touch and wonder if I should jailbreak it for Abaia.
Yes, they are at the same version, and there is no reason to jailbreak just for Abaia.

It's been a while since the last update, but I hope to have a new version ready some time within the next two months.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Hi Tord,

Thanks for the reply, I installed Glaurung on my new ipod and it plays well. Thank you for a great app I can use in my down time. I do have just one suggestion for you. In analysis mode it would be nice to see the thinking time being displayed.

Thanks Again
Ted Summers

Post by Tord Romstad »

AdminX wrote:Hi Tord,

Thanks for the reply, I installed Glaurung on my new ipod and it plays well. Thank you for a great app I can use in my down time. I do have just one suggestion for you. In analysis mode it would be nice to see the thinking time being displayed.
The time used to analyse the current position, you mean? I'll consider that. The main problem is to find a good place to put the information. I could include it in the analysis line below the board, but that would truncate the already rather short PV even further. Another possibility would be to let the clocks at the top of the screen display the time used on the current move rather than the remaining time when analysis mode is enabled.

The next version will use Stockfish as the chess engine, and ship with a new default piece set and a professionally designed icon.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Tord Romstad wrote:
AdminX wrote:Hi Tord,

The time used to analyse the current position, you mean? I'll consider that. The main problem is to find a good place to put the information. I could include it in the analysis line below the board, but that would truncate the already rather short PV even further. Another possibility would be to let the clocks at the top of the screen display the time used on the current move rather than the remaining time when analysis mode is enabled.

The next version will use Stockfish as the chess engine, and ship with a new default piece set and a professionally designed icon.
Yes, the time used to analyse the current position. I think it would be wise to use the clocks at the top because of the space issue you mention. Thanks again Tord, I really like your ipod app. Look forward to seeing the Stockfish version as well. :D

Post by Tord Romstad »

AdminX wrote:Yes, the time used to analyse the current position. I think it would be wise to use the clocks at the top because of the space issue you mention.
Does this look OK?

yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

i know this wont make me popular here, but are you considering charging for it?

i downloaded it on my sisters iphone while on vacation & its really a great program -- btw is it true that it plays at 2500 elo? i thought i read that here somewhere, but shredder claims its max elo is 2400 & thats probably exaggerated.
istolacio

Post by istolacio »

Superb solution. Another request: In 'Edit position', ask for confirmation when you press 'Clear'.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

yanquis1972 wrote:i know this wont make me popular here, but are you considering charging for it?
No. I am a hobbyist, not a professional chess programmer.

I am surprised that the professionals seem to ignore the iPhone platform, though. There are huge amounts of money to earn there. The download statistics for the iPhone version of Glaurung are stunning.
i downloaded it on my sisters iphone while on vacation & its really a great program -- btw is it true that it plays at 2500 elo? i thought i read that here somewhere, but shredder claims its max elo is 2400 & thats probably exaggerated.
I'm glad you like it! I have no idea about the rating. It probably depends on a number of factors, like what kind of iPhone or iPod Touch you are running the program on, the time control used, whether you are playing against humans or computers, and so on.

The program is about 100 times slower on the 2nd-generation iPhone than on a single core of a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo. If we assume that doubling the CPU speed is worth 60-70 Elo points (a quite common estimate), the program is about 400-470 rating points weaker on the 2nd-generation iPhone than on the Core 2 Duo. It's far from sure that the 2x speed = 60-70 Elo points relationship holds for such extreme speed differences, though.

I let Glaurung on an iPod Touch play against humans on the ICC a couple of nights last winter, but didn't get enough games to get a reliable estimate of the strength. I think it played around 50 games total, with 3 draws and no losses. Most of the games were against much weaker players, but there were a few IMs among the opponents.

The coming Stockfish-based version will be a lot stronger. I let the old and the new version play a 100-game match on my iPod Touch tonight, and the new version won by a devastating 77-23 (+63,=28,-9).
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

istolacio wrote:Superb solution. Another request: In 'Edit position', ask for confirmation when you press 'Clear'.
Sounds like a good idea, and easy to implement. I'll try to remember it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

P.S: Did anyone notice the new piece set? :)