WMCCC 1984 Glasgow - Who is tha guy?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gerd Isenberg

WMCCC 1984 Glasgow - Who is tha guy?

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Hi,

on this picture from the WMCCC 1984 in Glasgow, the man on the right is mentioned as Ulf Rathsman (on Thorsten's site). That seems wrong according to other pictures with Ulf. Who is that guy?

Thanks,
Gerd
Steve B

Re: WMCCC 1984 Glasgow - Who is tha guy?

Post by Steve B »

i dont know who the guy is Gerd but i do know from looking at the photo that the chess computer on the left is a Mephisto(probably an Exclusive ) and the chess computer on the right is a Conchess Ambassador

the WMCCC ended in a four way tie for first place that year

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 923814103/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 922173914/

Devil In The Details Regards
Steve
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Yes, the 4th WMCCC had four shared titles, probably due to some commercial interests from H&G and Fidility:

Two years later, WCCC in Cologne, there were also four programs tied for the first place, but Cray Blitz won by resistance points.

Rathsman played with Conchess X (6502) and the Princhess X (6502, 2nd + WMCCC title). The guy on the (first posted) picture is definitly not Rathsman, but looks like operating Conchess, so may be a team member.

CC History Research Regards,
Gerd
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

He looks like Lars Hjörth, see bottom pp 217 of Lindner's A SZÁMÍTÓGÉPES SAKK KÉPEKBEN (pdf) from Mikitovics János page.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

thanks i will correct this.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:He looks like Lars Hjörth, see bottom pp 217 of Lindner's A SZÁMÍTÓGÉPES SAKK KÉPEKBEN (pdf) from Mikitovics János page.
It is not mentioned in the pdf from Laszlo Lindner but for historical interest playing in the simul there I think is Ed Schröder with one of his programs, with the beard directly behind Kasparov. Are those Apple floppy drives? And directly behind Ed in the picture we see Jan Louwman sitting there in the back row in conversation with the person next to him.

Simultaneous exhibition with Kasparov in Hamburg, 1985

Another picture with Jan Louwman in a similar simultaneous exhibition, now playing, against the same young Kasparov, it's a different occasion because Kasparov is wearing a different shirt and slightly longer hair but with much the same pose at the board:

Eelco
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Nice photo of Bob Hyatt on Pg 215

personally i prefer the photos of all the chess computers

:P

Picky Regards
Steve
towforce

Post by towforce »

Steve B wrote:Nice photo of Bob Hyatt on Pg 215
Better one on page 229. Astonishing how old these photographs look: they were taken in the mid 1980s - but they could easily be from the 19th century.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Post by rainhaus »

Hallo,
I shot this picture as a member of the Mephisto-Team in the tournament room of the Ingram Hotel, Glasgow. The name of this young man is Lars Hjorth. He was the Co-Programmer of the Conchess-Modul by Ulf Rathsmann and he also did his job as an operator on the tournament board.
I faced him during a tournament game beween conchess and mephisto and I remember him as a likable and fair guy who didn't speak very much for 5 reasons:
He was a chess player, he was a programmer, he was my opponent, he was a Swede or a Norwegian and I also prefered to be in silence. Nevertheless, there was one communicative event during this game. When I once touched unfortunately the wrong piece Lars didn't cry for the referee, but he only asked very astonished: "why are you so nervous"! A very honest guy this Lars Hjorth, indeed!
I know, there is only asked for the name of that guy, but I can't help it, many memories are bubbling up. Once again the "Who's Who" of Computer Chess came together in Glasgow: legendary programmers like Dan and Kate Spracklen (Fidelity), Richard Lang (Psion) or Martin Bryant (Colossus). And you were sitting on the same table with Jan Louwman, Monroe Newborn and David Levy to talk about Computerchess. When I remember correctly, Harry Schnapp, well known as author of the current Arena Main Book, also honoured the fourth WMCCC at Glasgow with his presence:)

Rainer Neuhäusler
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Rainer Marian wrote:Hallo,
I shot this picture as a member of the Mephisto-Team in the tournament room of the Ingram Hotel, Glasgow. The name of this young man is Lars Hjorth. He was the Co-Programmer of the Conchess-Modul by Ulf Rathsmann and he also did his job as an operator on the tournament board.
I faced him during a tournament game beween conchess and mephisto and I remember him as a likable and fair guy who didn't speak very much for 5 reasons:
He was a chess player, he was a programmer, he was my opponent, he was a Swede or a Norwegian and I also prefered to be in silence. Nevertheless, there was one communicative event during this game. When I once touched unfortunately the wrong piece Lars didn't cry for the referee, but he only asked very astonished: "why are you so nervous"! A very honest guy this Lars Hjorth, indeed!
I know, there is only asked for the name of that guy, but I can't help it, many memories are bubbling up. Once again the "Who's Who" of Computer Chess came together in Glasgow: legendary programmers like Dan and Kate Spracklen (Fidelity), Richard Lang (Psion) or Martin Bryant (Colossus). And you were sitting on the same table with Jan Louwman, Monroe Newborn and David Levy to talk about Computerchess. When I remember correctly, Harry Schnapp, well known as author of the current Arena Main Book, also honoured the fourth WMCCC at Glasgow with his presence:)

Rainer Neuhäusler
Very interesting recollection Rainer
thank you for describing it here
so let me ask you..
was the Mephisto board you were operating the Mephisto Munchen or was it an Exclusive board?

Best Regards
Steve