Shitta, Bugga, Tossa, a disgrace to Computer Chess?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Anton

Shitta, Bugga, Tossa, a disgrace to Computer Chess?

Post by Anton »

I recently found myself on the Exactachess web page, and I came across several engines with names such as Bugga, Shitta, etc.

Does anyone know who is the authors of these engines?

The files contain no read-me, no source code, is this the work of a 10 year old?

disgusted regards,

Anton.
Graham Banks

Re: Shitta, Bugga, Tossa, a disgrace to Computer Chess?

Post by Graham Banks »

In answer to your question, engines with such names are a disgrace to computer chess and are a sign of great immaturity. Just my opinion. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
adieguez

Post by adieguez »

Graham Banks wrote:In answer to your question, engines with such names are a disgrace to computer chess and are a sign of great immaturity. Just my opinion. :wink:
few days ago I found AlQaedaChess, it had terrific algorithms, and its killers implementation was kind of suicide.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Anton wrote:
Does anyone know who is the authors of these engines?

Yes
Anton wrote:
The files contain no read-me, no source code, is this the work of a 10 year old?
No
Anton wrote: disgusted regards,
The name is not important, remember Susan Boyle ? All were laughing at her and were disgusted by her looking just like you. They have come near learning something...names and looking doen't count. If I make an engine I can name it the way I want just what the authors did. You would be surprised, but I don't think you'll ever find out...

So those are original engines by their original authors.

Michael
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Michael Diosi wrote: So those are original engines by their original authors.

Michael
.........who are too ashamed to put their names to them for obvious reasons.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Graham Banks wrote: .........who are too ashamed to put their names to them for obvious reasons.
Ashamed? Really? I was under the impression that a certain group of programmers cloned their own engines and assigned them these silly names as a form of protest against widespread cloning and the damage that it has done to their favorite hobby.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Graham Banks wrote:
Michael Diosi wrote: So those are original engines by their original authors.

Michael
.........who are too ashamed to put their names to them for obvious reasons.
Nope. It was deliberate. I think the authors showed their frustration quite well.

They are quite popular, so it seems some here will play with anything.

Anyway, Anton was just trying to make a mess here and that really is a disgrace to computer chess.

Christopher
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

tmokonen wrote:
Graham Banks wrote: .........who are too ashamed to put their names to them for obvious reasons.
Ashamed? Really? I was under the impression that a certain group of programmers cloned their own engines and assigned them these silly names as a form of protest against widespread cloning and the damage that it has done to their favorite hobby.
Exactly and IIRC Tord is one of these authors....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
tmokonen wrote:
Dr.D
How can you remember what has never been divulged?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
tmokonen wrote:
Dr.D
How can you remember what has never been divulged?
I don't remember exactly but reading the posts regarding this issue back then,I was pretty sure about at least 2 authors that participated in this project....Call it sixth sense,extra ability,whatever you like,but you know that one of these engines with the funny names is Glaurung....
:wink: regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….