I was Not a Software Pirate

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: I was Not a Software Pirate

Post by Graham Banks »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Yes Kerostave, I know your community exists.

Oddly enough Azaad apologies here, yet is still a contributing member of the "new" Lionroad.

So much for the apology...

Peter
You frightened them off Peter. Their posts have stopped all of a sudden! :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Graham Banks wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:

Oddly enough Azaad apologies here, yet is still a contributing member of the "new" Lionroad.

Peter

Ooops - spoke too soon. :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Graham Banks wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:

Peter

Ooops - spoke too soon. :lol:
You ruined the whole thread Graham :lol:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

Azaad wrote:I realise that file sharing harms chess software developers and stifles further development. I wish to thank the developers for providing chess players with software to help us improve our chess. I would also like to thank you for continuing your development in spite of losing income through file sharing. You have given much enjoyment to chess enthusiasts the world over. Azaad
I assume when you talk about "file sharing", you mean copyright infringement because there is plenty of chess software, chess publications, and chess media that can be legally shared.

Anyway, the idea that illegal copying has a net negative impact is dubious at best. In many cases, I think the net impact is actually positive. For example, I think that there is a real possibility that if DOS hadn't been copied illegally, there wouldn't be Windows, or that it would be owned by Xerox.
rlsuth

Post by rlsuth »

bnemias wrote:For example, I think that there is a real possibility that if DOS hadn't been copied illegally, there wouldn't be Windows, or that it would be owned by Xerox.

Was Dos copied illegally? I was under the impression that Bill Gates had a license from IBM to use it, and in fact, purchased the 86Dos version to create MS-Dos?

ps Does anybody else doubt that this is the Azaad from Lionroad in the first post?
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

rlsuth wrote:Was Dos copied illegally? I was under the impression that Bill Gates had a license from IBM to use it, and in fact, purchased the 86Dos version to create MS-Dos?
I don't know about that. But that wasn't my point at all. I was talking about end users copying DOS illegally, making it ubiquitous, resulting in ever more sales of DOS and eventually to the adoption of Windows.
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

bnemias wrote:I was talking about end users copying DOS illegally, making it ubiquitous, resulting in ever more sales of DOS and eventually to the adoption of Windows.
Another way of making this point is the idea that the way to speed GNU/Linux adoption would be to improve the effectiveness of the WGA program so that Windows couldn't be pirated.

Here's an article that discusses in depth this idea. See near the end where it talks about "What can be done with this information?"
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

bnemias wrote:
bnemias wrote:I was talking about end users copying DOS illegally, making it ubiquitous, resulting in ever more sales of DOS and eventually to the adoption of Windows.
Another way of making this point is the idea that the way to speed GNU/Linux adoption would be to improve the effectiveness of the WGA program so that Windows couldn't be pirated.

Here's an article that discusses in depth this idea. See near the end where it talks about "What can be done with this information?"
One of the reasons I hate piracy is because it slows down the development of genuine free alternatives.

Miguel
slobo

Post by slobo »

michiguel wrote:
bnemias wrote:

One of the reasons I hate piracy is because it slows down the development of genuine free alternatives.

Miguel
LOL!
Do you mean that developing of your engine is so slow because of piracy?
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

michiguel wrote:
bnemias wrote:

One of the reasons I hate piracy is because it slows down the development of reverse engineered alternatives.

Miguel
FYP