What is this ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

George Tsavdaris

Re: What is this ?

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Smells 'Fishy' to me perhaps with a little Lemon 'Fruit' juice added for flavour how can they have Rybka 3.1 to test against?
When i saw this i thought it's just not legitimate and it's just a Robbolito/Ippolit case.

But since i learned that probably Toby is the name of the son of Chris Whittington and since we remember Thorsten saying something new(and good) is coming up for CSTal, a complete rewrite to bitboards, then this might be legitimate!!

I always thought, like Thorsten, that if CSTal II was using the new modern up-to-date algorithms along with its own unique algorithms would be easily the strongest.

Now instant future will tell.

Perhaps Thorsten Czub can tell us more.
I read him in one page that writes:
http://schachcomputerwelt.foren-city.de ... trong.html
Last edited by George Tsavdaris on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Thomas Mayer wrote: At least the given size of 120k for the engine is smaller then the .exe of Robbolito I know, but of course this doesn't mean anything, with different compiler / optimisation options you might get smaller exe files.
Pack Robbolito with UPX and guess what size you'll get!?
About 110kB. :mrgreen:
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Thomas Mayer wrote:
Damir wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
mariaclara wrote::D Yes. I guess it's real.

I txted my cousin in oxnard, ca to call tobychess ( 928-246-1580 ).
He said they're selling their engine+gui for 59US$.

Unfortunately, my cousin doesn't know much about chess , so he didn't know what questions to ask about their chess engine.

:wink: :wink:
FWCC wrote:It's REAL! I just talked to one of the developers(Phone number is shown)This will be revolutionary,it is SP now MP to come.They say the tactics are out of this world and it solves puzzles that other engines take days to solve.

FWCC
Who is the author would be a good one!
Hmm, maybe Chris Whittington ( author of Chess System Tal) as his son's name is Toby ?
No, imo it's just named Toby because the surname of the owner of that company is just Tobiason (http://www.tobychess.com/tobychess_2_004.htm).

For sure Chris is capable of making extraordinary things but so far I haven't seen extraordinary STRONG things from him... at least not engines... ;) and as far as I know he isn't interested in practical chess programming anymore ;)

Greets, Thomas

*edited to correct several grammatical nonsense to end up finally in even more chaos... ;)
Are you sure about that? A lot of engine authors who were on vacation are now suddenly interested in chess programming, and why shouldn't they be, with Ippo/Robbo beeing publicly available as open source...
I think you are wrong.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Check out the games running R3 on the side. I only checked out game 2 and it seems 100% moves of R3 as black. Maybe someone else can check it out.
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

F.Huber wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote: At least the given size of 120k for the engine is smaller then the .exe of Robbolito I know, but of course this doesn't mean anything, with different compiler / optimisation options you might get smaller exe files.
Pack Robbolito with UPX and guess what size you'll get!?
About 110kB. :mrgreen:
Hi "Franz",

the world is definitely to evil for me... ;)

Greets, Thomas
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

George Tsavdaris wrote: But since i learned that probably Toby is the name of the son of Chris Whittington and since we remember Thorsten saying something new(and good) is coming up for CSTal, a complete rewrite to bitboards, then this might be legitimate!!
According to the web site's About Us page:

"TobyChess started as Tim Tobiason Chess Supplies in 2002."

http://tobychess.com/tobychess_2_002.htm
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

M ANSARI wrote:Check out the games running R3 on the side. I only checked out game 2 and it seems 100% moves of R3 as black. Maybe someone else can check it out.
I tested game 3 with Rybka 3 in analysis mode. Interesting! R3 predicted all but 8 of Toby's moves. Even more interesting, R3 did not
predict many of the moves that are said to be made by R3. I guess I need to know the transposition table size used for R3.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Yes somehow the other played more like R3 than R3. Very strange.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

so R3 is not R3 ? :o :lol: :lol:
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Damir wrote:so R3 is not R3 ? :o :lol: :lol:
Sounds lik it... Maybe R3 is R3.1, or... R2D2...
Henrik