Quote for GM Shabalov on Chess FM.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mwyoung

Quote for GM Shabalov on Chess FM.

Post by mwyoung »

"No one uses Rybka or Fritz to analyse games anymore, at least not in this tournament. There are better programs out.....like Firebird...."
yanquis1972

Re: Quote for GM Shabalov on Chess FM.

Post by yanquis1972 »

i would say that's true for 99% of the population. FB is simply much faster & has some corrected bugs. correspondence players with quads or greater, and perhaps anyone else looking to do really indepth analysis of specific positions, might be safer to go with rybka 3 though.
mhalstern

Post by mhalstern »

I was watching as well. His statement caused me to download the latest (Fire_12_x64_new_SMP_popcnt_KLO.exe) version. I am now getting the totalbases and triplebases.

I'll run a gauntlet, then play a few hundred games against Rybka 3 to see the true strength.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

this has been done, many times over. FB/ippolit family is significantly stronger at bullet, less so at blitz, and marginally stronger at long TC.

of course it's still worth testing on your machine as it could be a case of YMMV. my guess would be that the slower the h/w the bigger the benefit from using FB but i could be wrong.
mwyoung

Re: Quote from GM Shabalov on Chess FM.

Post by mwyoung »

It is striking what he said if true. The US Championship has the 24 best players in the US. And he said not one of them use Fritz or Rybka anymore.
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

mwyoung wrote:It is striking what he said if true. The US Championship has the 24 best players in the US. And he said not one of them use Fritz or Rybka anymore.
Not that it really matters, but I happen to know for a fact that it is not true as it relates to the US Championship.

-Sam
metax

Post by metax »

yanquis1972 wrote:of course it's still worth testing on your machine as it could be a case of YMMV. my guess would be that the slower the h/w the bigger the benefit from using FB but i could be wrong.
I also think so because the edge of the Ipp*/Fire engines vs Rybka decreases with longer time control, so it would probably also decrease with better hardware.
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

yanquis1972 wrote:this has been done, many times over. FB/ippolit family is significantly stronger at bullet, less so at blitz, and marginally stronger at long TC.
Blitz and Bullet strength is most important for serious chess players. Nobody cares about long time controls.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Dr.Ex wrote:
yanquis1972 wrote:this has been done, many times over. FB/ippolit family is significantly stronger at bullet, less so at blitz, and marginally stronger at long TC.
Blitz and Bullet strength is most important for serious chess players. Nobody cares about long time controls.
complete nonsense
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Guenther wrote:
Dr.Ex wrote:
complete nonsense
No, it is true. No serious chess player analyzes a position for more than 10 seconds.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."