"Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nimzovik

Re: "Promotion" of engines in CCC.

Post by Nimzovik »

Ok call me arrogant and intrusive... I feel like I am sensing that I do not know all the undertow in this particular issue. Ergo I am opting out. However I do hope these issues can be addressed with decorum and reason as opposed to open hostility.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

SzG wrote:I think the decision to move the Ippo posts to a separate subforum was right as they polluted the general forum.
Only the decision to hide the Ippo subforum was wrong.

Hello Gabor,

This is actually going to surprise some but I believe that the decision to conceal the forum was done for the best of reasons. I am not prepared to outguess the admin/mods on that decision much as I have my own views on it.

Where I have a problem is when the pollution as you put it is moved without regard to consistency or regards to content.

I mean, why move Engine X cannot work with a particular UCI gui to a hidden forum when if it had said Gaviota does not work with (insert UCI gui) there would be no problem with it remaining?

I am selecting Gaviota as an engine that recently implemented the UCI protocol and is unearthing quirks peculiar to each UCI gui as users employ it in Aquarium etc.

So toss everything that has a Ip* in it to EO sub-forum whilst leaving everything unrelated to EO in that sub-forum.

The EO sub-forum is a bit of a mess because of that policy.

Not that I expect that to change soon....

Later.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Roger Brown wrote:
SzG wrote:I think the decision to move the Ippo posts to a separate subforum was right as they polluted the general forum.

Hello Gabor,

This is actually going to surprise some but I believe that the decision to conceal the forum was done for the best of reasons. I am not prepared to outguess the admin/mods on that decision much as I have my own views on it.

Where I have a problem is when the pollution as you put it is moved without regard to consistency or regards to content.

I mean, why move Engine X cannot work with a particular UCI gui to a hidden forum when if it had said Gaviota does not work with (insert UCI gui) there would be no problem with it remaining?

I am selecting Gaviota as an engine that recently implemented the UCI protocol and is unearthing quirks peculiar to each UCI gui as users employ it in Aquarium etc.

So toss everything that has a Ip* in it to EO sub-forum whilst leaving everything unrelated to EO in that sub-forum.

Later.
actually i never had any issues with hidden or unhidden forums
for a long time the CTF was not hidden and then it became hidden a few years ago
no biggie
personally i could care less what unregistered guests can or cannot read
it takes all of 5 minutes to register and then every sub-fora is open
actually it is a bonus for registering if you think about it

i cant really cry for unregistered lurkers

but i guess that's just me Regards
Steve
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Steve B wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:

Hello Gabor,

Later.
actually i never had any issues with hidden or unhidden forums
for a long time the CTF was not hidden and then it became hidden a few years ago
no biggie

Steve
Same opinion here....
Great minds think alike regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

SzG wrote:
Steve B wrote: actually i never had any issues with hidden or unhidden forums
no biggie

Steve
Why should I log in just to be able to read the 4th of 4 subfora and see there is nothing interesting for me at the time? I don't mind that CTF is hidden as I'd never want to read a forum like that.
it takes a great deal of effort to log on?
maybe 1 second
surely this cannot be an undo hardship Gabor
i have logged on while on business trips..on vacation..at hotels ..using whatever computers were at my disposal

Steve