Biased moderators

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Wayne Lowrance

Biased moderators

Post by Wayne Lowrance »

Robert Hyatt comes to mind. He is very biased concerning Vas and Rybka. He is totally oblivious that some recent clones are strongly suspect. How in heck could all of these free programs come out almost at once and so strong. I expect Robert Hyatt will run for moderator. I am total against this.
Btw, the current moderators are doing a good job under very difficult times in my opinion.
swami

Re: Biased moderators

Post by swami »

Wayne Lowrance wrote:Robert Hyatt comes to mind. He is very biased concerning Vas and Rybka. He is totally oblivious that some recent clones are strongly suspect. How in heck could all of these free programs come out almost at once and so strong. I expect Robert Hyatt will run for moderator. I am total against this.
Btw, the current moderators are doing a good job under very difficult times in my opinion.
Hi Wayne,

Every time there's some sort of controversy, you always pop up to throw in an insult against Bob in a form of a new thread.

Please look into your old posts. I'm curious as to why you dislike Bob.

I think he will do fine as a moderator. and remember this kind of thread belongs in Forum help and Suggestion.

Best,
Swami
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

swami wrote:Hi Wayne,

Every time there's some sort of controversy, you always pop up to throw in an insult against Bob
Just like Bernhard Bauer and one or two others do to me, but that never seems to bother you. :wink:
By the way, where is Wayne's insult?
Last edited by Graham Banks on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Wayne Lowrance wrote:Robert Hyatt comes to mind. He is very biased concerning Vas and Rybka. He is totally oblivious that some recent clones are strongly suspect. How in heck could all of these free programs come out almost at once and so strong. I expect Robert Hyatt will run for moderator. I am total against this.
Robert is a very respected member here so why don't you take your hatred and go someplace else. What have you ever done to for chess at all? You realize that they created a new chess forum for people just like you so why not join your unhappy friends there?
Bill, member of 10 years standing.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

swami wrote:
Hi Wayne,

Every time there's some sort of controversy, you always pop up to throw in an insult against Bob in a form of a new thread.

Please look into your old posts. I'm curious as to why you dislike Bob.

I think he will do fine as a moderator. and remember this kind of thread belongs in Forum help and Suggestion.

Best,
Swami
Different philosophy no doubt. For me it belongs in the Mod forum. All these threads designed to supposedly discuss issues but are in fact just designed to say that Bob, Graham, Vas, you name it, stinks, is this, is that, are nothing but slightly camouflaged personal attacks. IMHO.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
swami

Post by swami »

Graham Banks wrote:
swami wrote:Hi Wayne,

Every time there's some sort of controversy, you always pop up to throw in an insult against Bob
Just like Bernhard Bauer and one or two others do to me, but that never seems to bother you. :wink:
By the way, where is Wayne's insult?
Moderators are open to criticism. I don't delete posts that are critical of moderators such as I never deleted posts since the start of this moderation term, especially those which are critical of me.

Wayne attacks somebody who is not even a moderator by even creating a new _thread_ and posting in irrelevant board "Computer Chess General Topics". Bill Rogers immediately found it insulting.
Last edited by swami on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

swami wrote: Moderators are open to criticism. I don't delete posts that are critical of moderators such as I never deleted posts since the start of this moderation term, especially those which are critical of me.
Where in the charter does it say that open season on moderators is allowed?
Personal attacks apply to everybody from what I can read. This is one aspect in which we've always had differing opinions. Constructive criticism is okay, but personal attacks or abusive remarks should never be okay.
Despite this, I'm happy to shift the thread if Bob consents.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
bob

Post by bob »

Grow up and learn to read and think a bit. You have _never_ found me claiming that ip* is _not_ derived from Rybka. By the same token, you have not found me claiming that it _was_ derived from Rybka either. There is simply not enough evidence. The most recent detailed analysis from bb+ on openchess has certainly pointed out a ton of _differences_ between Rybka and ip*. And a few similarities. For the moment, this is not a resolved issue. And, as a result, ip* and family should not be ostracised just because one person said it was a derivative, with no supporting evidence almost one year later.

I may well run. If I do, feel free to not vote for me. That's what a democratic process should look like. But you ought to make your mind up based on actual facts, not the garbage you provided above.
Wayne Lowrance

Post by Wayne Lowrance »

Howdy Swami. Yes you are right. I originally liked and supported Robert Hyatt. My problem, with him shaped long before the Rybka program existed.
I soured on him for his downright insulting, condescending of others. Bob always had to have the last word. I wrote several posts suggesting that his confrontational personality was not proper behavior for a university professor and asked him to back off some.

So yes, it is fair to say he is not my favorite person.
Wayne
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

Robert Hyatt comes to mind.
"DUH" If you post here Robert Hyatt is on our minds very much

He is very biased concerning Vas and Rybka.
I think what you are trying to say is that Robert is part of a very large group that believes Vas crossed the line when he wrote Rybka code.

He is totally oblivious that some recent clones are strongly suspect.
Everyone here is very aware of this

How in heck could all of these free programs come out almost at once and so strong.
Of course we all are agreeing with you on that---but many know lots of code came from Crafty and Fruit.

I expect Robert Hyatt will run for moderator.
Many feel better when he is in.

I am total against this.
dont worry, you and I will cancel each other out during the moderator voting. if Robert runs he will win.

they are doing the best that they can

"I searched the Fruit code forward and backwards, i studied the code like no one has, and I took many, many, many ideas but I did not copy or keep any line of code in its original order"
kgburcham
Last edited by kgburcham on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.