Whether Rybka 4 Should Be Allowed To Play At the WCCC?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Whether Rybka 4 Should Be Allowed To Play At the WCCC?

Rybka 4 is a derivative program and should be banned from the WCCC
51%
Rybka 4 is an original program and should not be banned from the WCCC
49%

Total votes: 113

Wayne Lowrance

Re: Whether Rybka 4 Should Be Allowed To Play At the WCCC?

Post by Wayne Lowrance »

No, it is not confrontational to fire back in disagreement. It is the tone of your voice that is and your choice of phraseology . Your not polite in these circumstance, certainly not humble. Why is this ? A man of your stature should not need to portray a image of grumpy disrespectful old man.

On your thread regarding clustering. I think you can conclude that Vas knows what he is doing regarding his cluster programming. It works and is nearly unbeatable, I said nearly :D
Vas has demonstrated superior programming skill I think. It is fair to judge based on performance of his works.
Wayne
Last edited by Wayne Lowrance on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Wayne Lowrance wrote:No, it is not confrontational to fire back in disagreement. It is the tone of your voice that is and your choice of phraseology . Your not polite in these circumstance, certainly not humble. Why is this ? A man of your stature should not need to portray a image of grumpy disrespectful old man.

On your thread regarding clustering. I think you can conclude that Vas knows what he is doing regarding his cluster programming. It works and is nearly unbeatable, I said nearly :D
Vas has demonstrated superior programming skill I think. It is fair to judge based on performance of his works.
Wayne
When you say programming skill does that include copy and paste of Fruit code and possibly Crafty code into Rybka? As of now, I still have not seen adequate evidence to confirm that Rybka is NOT a derivative program and should be banned from competing at the WCCC.

Cordially,

Sean
Wayne Lowrance

Post by Wayne Lowrance »

Look pal. I am a EE an old retired EE. I have a number of patents from my engineering development. Why do I say this ?
I want you to understand when a engineer, programmer is engaged in a developmental program he will, if he is any good, at the very beginning investigate existing technology to broaden his knowledge and go on from there.
I can guess that Vas for sure followed this course, and why not. Your positioning Vas as a cheater, a copier of fruit and crafty, Goodness, ("CRAFTY") is not a proven accuracy. So why cannot all of these accusations cease ?
Wayne
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Wayne Lowrance wrote:Look pal. I am a EE an old retired EE. I have a number of patents from my engineering development. Why do I say this ?
I want you to understand when a engineer, programmer is engaged in a developmental program he will, if he is any good, at the very beginning investigate existing technology to broaden his knowledge and go on from there.
I can guess that Vas for sure followed this course, and why not. Your positioning Vas as a cheater, a copier of fruit and crafty, Goodness, ("CRAFTY") is not a proven accuracy. So why cannot all of these accusations cease ?
Wayne
Don't encourage it.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

bob wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Certainly that - the confrontational issues - is a fundamental process of science. But it's also clear that this means that you shouldnt make premature allegations and insults. Because only if based on facts a statement could be sound but hey, this famous quotation isnt sound, where Theron offered, that if he would have no ethics, he could also stand on top of all other competitors. And obviously you didnt put this under any thinkable confrontational examination. You agreed with that insult. I remember well because already then I opposed that dirt. Note well, this was when no ZW webpages existed nor anything else as potential evidence for such a dirty campaign which goes on and on. Now this is certainly strange for a scientist to be involved with. Perhaps Wayne means something like that.
I don't make "premature allegations and insults" so what is your point?
Of course you did towards Vas. Let me clarify this.

Long, many years, before ZW showed up with his webpage, you, together with ChT, accused Vas of a lack of ethics. So you condemned him although you had no evidence at the time. Let's not talk about later, the Strelka story, but long before that you accused Vas. The whole allegations were in the air right from the start when Dr Donninger thought it as good mission to make public declarations about R1 after he had RE or disassembled the R1 code. That role model brought the whole hystery into the community.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Wayne Lowrance wrote:Look pal.
Pal? Wayne there is no need for animosity we are discussing in peace :)
I am a EE an old retired EE. I have a number of patents from my engineering development. Why do I say this ?
I don't know why?
Investigate it good, copy and paste bad.
I can guess that Vas for sure followed this course, and why not. Your positioning Vas as a cheater, a copier of fruit and crafty,
As I recall it was Vas who did that not I. As you have publicly advised us you are a retired EE, with plenty of experience and time on your hands are you able to refute this document in the slightest?

https://webspace.utexas.edu/zzw57/rtc/eval/eval.html
Goodness, ("CRAFTY") is not a proven accuracy. So why cannot all of these accusations cease ?
I agree, Crafty is not a proven accuracy; however, there does appear to be Crafty code in Rybka. Perhaps, Bob Hyatt the author of Crafty can elucidate for you/us on this fascinating derivative issue.
Wayne
Cordially,

Sean