Rybka 4 vs Stockfish 1.8 - Long TC Match - LIVE BROADCAST!

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pacifist

Re: Rybka 4 vs Stockfish 1.8 - Long TC Match - LIVE BROADCAS

Post by pacifist »

S.Taylor wrote:
By the way, is your interest in music (according to your profile) Classical? (in my case, it is).
Hi, I would have liked to like more classical music but I was born in a family where the father was a fanatic of flamenco :). Didn't learn music in school either. So I like a bit of flamenco (but not in excess), pop music, pop rock, blues, jazz. I appreciate classic music anyway. I updated my profile in case you want to know more...And you play music too?

Well on topic again, I like the way G18 turned for black (I'm a grunfeld player so that explains it :) ). Black is a little better but more I don't know. 31...f5 is a critical move, opens path to h file maybe.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

pacifist wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
By the way, is your interest in music (according to your profile) Classical? (in my case, it is).
Hi, I would have liked to like more classical music but I was born in a family where the father was a fanatic of flamenco :). Didn't learn music in school either. So I like a bit of flamenco (but not in excess), pop music, pop rock, blues, jazz. I appreciate classic music anyway. I updated my profile in case you want to know more...And you play music too?

Well on topic again, I like the way G18 turned for black (I'm a grunfeld player so that explains it :) ). Black is a little better but more I don't know. 31...f5 is a critical move, opens path to h file maybe.
Classical. Violin, piano.
This game has been unbelievable, for me.
When i used to play chess vs humans, I liked the Grunfeld. I don't know why.
SF seemed to understand nothing about the normal ways of this opening, and seemed to invent completely new ideas that no human would be temted to even consider (I think). Yet, with the innocence of a computer, it didn't fall into any traps, but just did the right moves, which left White with no further superiority. I don't know if any human on earth could have played such a game as Black.

I wouldn't have even minded if black will have lost, as the entertainment value was enough for me!
pacifist

Post by pacifist »

SF will maybe lose that game too but it seems a knight in d7 can hold the position. Only problem is zugzwang, the balck king doesn't have many squares to prevent infiltration...
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

This match is now also relayed on chessbomb.com!

http://chessbomb.com/o/2010-sf-r4/

Thanks for the huge interest from everyone!
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

pacifist wrote:SF will maybe lose that game too but it seems a knight in d7 can hold the position. Only problem is zugzwang, the balck king doesn't have many squares to prevent infiltration...
And you say he should have lost the knight without stopping the Pawn? And whites bishop could have stopped any black queening business on the Q-side? Yet they decided it was a draw?
So perhaps this was a mistake?
Martin Thoresen

S.Taylor wrote: And you say he should have lost the knight without stopping the Pawn? And whites bishop could have stopped any black queening business on the Q-side? Yet they decided it was a draw?
So perhaps this was a mistake?
Draw from 50-move rule.
pacifist

Post by pacifist »

Yes SF found another way to draw and more active than was I was suggesting since there was no problem to let white's king infiltrating on the queenside :). My suggestion was to put the knight on d7 to prevent the king to cross the 5th rank.

Now in game 21 they reached a drawn rook ending with 2 pawns up for R4 :). Still +4 games for R4 but considering vs Houdini there was at some point a 6 pts difference I'm not worried yet for SF :)
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

At last! SF wins G 23. I nearly thought SF had stopped winning!

Comment: It seems like it is very very hard work (for humans) with N and B vs R endings, but that the side with N and B CAN polish off pawns with very hard work, Vs Rook.
Would a human GM manage to do all this without error?

Congrats SF!

(It is a shame, however, that we cannot see how things finish, and some games are suddenly taken off, just when you think one side might be starting to win, simply because (Is it?) both evaluations agree it will win. _I_ would like to see it go a bit further, in many cases, such as this, so i can see a little how it is being done)
Martin Thoresen

S.Taylor wrote: (It is a shame, however, that we cannot see how things finish, and some games are suddenly taken off, just when you think one side might be starting to win, simply because (Is it?) both evaluations agree it will win. _I_ would like to see it go a bit further, in many cases, such as this, so i can see a little how it is being done)
Currently the "resign" option in Fritz GUI is set to "early", which means both engines have to have an evaluation 4.8 pawns or more for 6 consecutive moves.

Two other options are "late" and "never".

"Late" is the same as early but with 6.5 pawn advantage.

"Never" is, well, played until mate. The disadvantage with this option is that the games will take quite a bit longer to finish.

I am considering the options here if people really want to see the games played out all the way.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Martin Thoresen wrote:
S.Taylor wrote: (It is a shame, however, that we cannot see how things finish, and some games are suddenly taken off, just when you think one side might be starting to win, simply because (Is it?) both evaluations agree it will win. _I_ would like to see it go a bit further, in many cases, such as this, so i can see a little how it is being done)
Currently the "resign" option in Fritz GUI is set to "early", which means both engines have to have an evaluation 4.8 pawns or more for 6 consecutive moves.

Two other options are "late" and "never".

"Late" is the same as early but with 6.5 pawn advantage.

"Never" is, well, played until mate. The disadvantage with this option is that the games will take quite a bit longer to finish.

I am considering the options here if people really want to see the games played out all the way.
"Late" might make it more easy for the human eye to see enough why it is lost. The difference between that, and all the way might be a long time. (Or, maybe not so long?)

[just because no one mentioned it until now, doesn't mean that they would not like it a few moves longer, since it is normal that people are afraid that it might make them look stupid, therefore they remain silent].