GM Kaufman v.Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds (Moves 1-40)

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

govert

Re: GM Kaufman v. Novag Constellation 3.6 QR Odds Game

Post by govert »

so much for a simple little friendly game between a GM and a Computer. :roll:
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Don wrote:I'm relaying a move for Larry as he does not seem to have access to talk-chess for some reason.

Here is what he said:

For some reason I can't log in to TalkChess; even resetting the password didn't help. So at your convenience could you relay my move 33.Kh2 with the comment "Connie won't repeat here. I hope the motivation of ...Qc6 was to take the pawn on h5."
Well you are indeed correct that Connie avoids repeating moves
She does however play the rather strange...

33..Re5

[d] 6k1/p1pr1p1p/1pq3p1/3nr1BP/2Bp2R1/1Q6/P4P1K/8 w - - 0 33

Startled Regards
Steve
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Steve B wrote: Well you are indeed correct that Connie avoids repeating moves

33..Re5

Startled Regards
Steve
If I were Larry, I would now play the immediately losing, but spectacular, Bb5. :evil: :P

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Don

Post by Don »

I relayed your move to Larry.
Steve B wrote:
Don wrote:I'm relaying a move for Larry as he does not seem to have access to talk-chess for some reason.

Here is what he said:

For some reason I can't log in to TalkChess; even resetting the password didn't help. So at your convenience could you relay my move 33.Kh2 with the comment "Connie won't repeat here. I hope the motivation of ...Qc6 was to take the pawn on h5."

33..Re5

Startled Regards
Steve
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Don wrote:I relayed your move to Larry.
Thanks!
Steve
bob

Post by bob »

Terry:

The PM is not "rather nasty". And it makes a reasonable point. If you have followed discussions by me for the past 15 years or so, you might have noticed that I have great respect for GM players. And I agree with his point that there is no need to "needle" a GM and tell him he is lost. I suspect he knows that far better than you do. He _was_ a rook down when the game started. It's fun to watch these, and kibitz comments, just as we did when IM Mike Valvo played the two deep thought 24-hour-per-move games back in the early 90's (maybe even late 80's) on r.g.c.c. But nothing says that the kibitzing can't maintain a respectful tone when the target is IM or GM. They've earned our respect by their OTB accomplishments...
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bob wrote:Terry:

The PM is not "rather nasty". And it makes a reasonable point. If you have followed discussions by me for the past 15 years or so, you might have noticed that I have great respect for GM players. And I agree with his point that there is no need to "needle" a GM and tell him he is lost. I suspect he knows that far better than you do. He _was_ a rook down when the game started. It's fun to watch these, and kibitz comments, just as we did when IM Mike Valvo played the two deep thought 24-hour-per-move games back in the early 90's (maybe even late 80's) on r.g.c.c. But nothing says that the kibitzing can't maintain a respectful tone when the target is IM or GM. They've earned our respect by their OTB accomplishments...
It sure the heck was rude Bob, and I wasn't needling Larry. I suspect I've more respect for GM's here than almost anyone. I use to play IM's and GM's. I've played all my life and although rusty understand chess. Larry is very good but has no special powers. In fact he hasn't demonstrated to me that he has a better understanding of this position than I do.

Like to wager the outcome?

I guess you guys don't get that? Larry isn't a target and until you realize that fundamental point I may as well talk to a brick wall.
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

Terry McCracken wrote:

It sure the heck was rude Bob, and I wasn't needling Larry. I suspect I've more respect for GM's here than almost anyone. I use to play IM's and GM's. I've played all my life and although rusty understand chess. Larry is very good but has no special powers. In fact he hasn't demonstrated to me that he has a better understanding of this position than I do.

I guess you guys don't get that? Larry isn't a target and until you realize that fundamental point I may as well talk to a brick wall.
If you look at your posts, they don't come across as you state above. Whether that is intentional or not, I wouldn't try to guess. But just read back thru your comments, suggesting the he should resign and such. I have some GMs that I have known for _years_ and I wouldn't needle them like that. Larry's pretty laid back and is not easy to offend, and I doubt he was. But still... if you look carefully at the "tone" of your posts, it was a little awkward at the least.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

[quote="Steve B[/quote]

33..Re5

I'm able to log in again now, thanks to Sam. I play 34.hxg6. My only chance is to weaken the Black king. ..Re5 was a bit strange looking, but perhaps not a bad move.

Startled Regards
Steve[/quote]
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bob wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:

If you look at your posts, they don't come across as you state above. Whether that is intentional or not, I wouldn't try to guess. But just read back thru your comments, suggesting the he should resign and such. I have some GMs that I have known for _years_ and I wouldn't needle them like that. Larry's pretty laid back and is not easy to offend, and I doubt he was. But still... if you look carefully at the "tone" of your posts, it was a little awkward at the least.

The problem is you don't know me so the tone is your interpretation.

If you read carefully you'll notice I support Larry and even apologised if I came across differently.

It's easy to send the wrong message and apparently I did to some, Don for certain.
Terry McCracken