Chess Challenger 9

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Wayne Lowrance

Chess Challenger 9

Post by Wayne Lowrance »

I just found my chess challenger 9 in a storage area. I have the original box, manual. Missing chess pieces and ac converter. It appears to not work ! The light above the a2 pawn is on but no response on anything I do. I have the extra book module. Any one interested please PM me.
Regards
Wayne
Steve B

Re: Chess Challenger 9

Post by Steve B »

Wayne Lowrance wrote:I just found my chess challenger 9 in a storage area. I have the original box, manual. Missing chess pieces and ac converter. It appears to not work ! The light above the a2 pawn is on but no response on anything I do. I have the extra book module. Any one interested please PM me.
Regards
Wayne
Try the SC9 with/without the module
sometimes its the module that can be defective and this could block the computer
conversely.. sometimes the computer can work fine if a module is inserted where otherwise it doesn't

regardless ..that book module is probably worth more then the SC9 even if the SC9 was working
if the module is the CB16 it is worth more then the CB9 but either one is worth at least ..$75-100

do you have the small box and manual for the module?

Regards
Steve
Wayne Lowrance

Post by Wayne Lowrance »

Thank you Steve. Yes the module is CB16. Module in/out does not make a difference. only the A2 light is on in the battery position. with a radio shack 9 volt ac adapter nothing happens including no A2 light on. No I do not have the module box and manual.
Regards Wayne
fern

Post by fern »

I wonder, dear Steve, how many worthy chess computers are forgotten in closets, storage areas, cellars, old boxes, etc ..
Archaeological regards
Fern
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:I wonder, dear Steve, how many worthy chess computers are forgotten in closets, storage areas, cellars, old boxes, etc ..
Archaeological regards
Fern
You forgot to mention the huge bank deposite rooms big as the U.S.A Federal Reverve building....
Not that we envy him Fern,
Dr.D

P.S.I am pretty sure that if our dear friend Steve sells 1/4 of his dedicated computer units,he'll be able to buy one of the Bahamas islands 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
fern wrote:I wonder, dear Steve, how many worthy chess computers are forgotten in closets, storage areas, cellars, old boxes, etc ..
Archaeological regards
Fern
You forgot to mention the huge bank deposite rooms big as the U.S.A Federal Reverve building....
Not that we envy him Fern,
Dr.D

P.S.I am pretty sure that if our dear friend Steve sells 1/4 of his dedicated computer units,he'll be able to buy one of the Bahamas islands 8-)
actually guys i will soon know exactly how many forgotten computers there are in back room musty old closets and dusty attics and basements
i have only to check Greenland and Tasmania and i will have checked every closest,attic ,basement and storage shed ..Worldwide

Collecting is no Disco Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

Archaeological regards
Fern
I've often wondered this myself. A lot of them are the legacy of
older family members that have since passed on, or people who are
basically just too plain lazy to have a cleanout. Most change hands
for a fraction of their true value in yard sales. A crying shame, when
us bona fide collectors have a few cubic feet of spare space still left
in our closets.
On the positive side, a well put together chess computer collection
can be truly free... you just have to know how much each is worth
for resale.
hoarding regards,
Larry
Growth is the problem; not the solution
Larry

Post by Larry »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Shhhhh..... don't give Steve ideas, if he sells one tenth of his
collection that will flood the market and devalue collections all
round the world.
LH
Growth is the problem; not the solution
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Shhhhh..... don't give Steve ideas, if he sells one tenth of his
collection that will flood the market and devalue collections all
round the world.
LH
Actually Larry
i think you have more SC9's then any one in the Milky Way Galaxy
not to mention that you are the worlds leading expert in that model which was one of Fidelity's top all-time best sellers
i seem to recall you were looking for one of the book modules weren't you?

Vague Recollection Regards
Steve
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Wayne Lowrance wrote:Thank you Steve. Yes the module is CB16. Module in/out does not make a difference. only the A2 light is on in the battery position. with a radio shack 9 volt ac adapter nothing happens
oops, i'm afraid, that you maybe killed it with this adapter as the SC9 is a DC device (adapter has positive center/tip)! (contrary to most other older Fidelity computers, which are AC)

Try it with batteries, maybe it is still ok?

With a little luck, it is just the voltage regulator, which might be defective now. Should be relatively easy to replace...

regards,
Robert