Rybka 4

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nimzovik

Rybka 4

Post by Nimzovik »

Ok. So am I correct in saying R4 is good for long (time) analysis. I don't wanna buy the thing, however I need the best analysis tool. Comments?
mwyoung

Re: Rybka 4

Post by mwyoung »

Nimzovik wrote:Ok. So am I correct in saying R4 is good for long (time) analysis. I don't wanna buy the thing, however I need the best analysis tool. Comments?
I have both Rybka 4 and Houdini. Bar none IMO Houdini is the best analysis engine you can have. It is a myth that Rybka 4 is better at long time controls IMO.

When both programs were new, I would use Rybka 4 and Houdini to look at my games, after using them for some time. I found Houdini to be the better program to give correct evaluations of the games I was looking at with the chess programs.

Houdini is much better at endgame evaluations then Rybka 4 no matter how much time you give Rybka 4. Rybka 4 is a joke when looking at R & P or R & B endgames. Rybka 4 will show + 2 eval in many of these endgames. when the position is a dead draw. Houdini does not have this problem in these type of endgames.
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Post by gaard »

It's great until it crashes in Multi-PV mode... a well known bug that has not been fixed yet.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Nimzovik wrote:Ok. So am I correct in saying R4 is good for long (time) analysis. I don't wanna buy the thing, however I need the best analysis tool. Comments?

Why pay 100 Euro for Deep Rybka 4 if you can download stronger programs (Houdini, IvanHoe, Fire and Deep Saros 2.3.c4)for free and get better customer service from the free programs! They let you know about a MPV bug in their program (Houdini) and it is fixed with a new release in a few days. With a Sorry from the programmer for putting out a version with a bug!! :)

Rybka 4 is going down the same road as Rybka 3, and no bug fix will be provided. When is Vas going to fix those bugs? It's been over 6 months now and still no bug-fix for Rybka 4!
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Kevin Frayer wrote an interesting post in 2009.
He was banned for telling the truth in a certain forum.

DATE 2009-11-19 18:13 EDITED 2009-11-19 18:28

Well, well here they all are. Disappointed in their high priest Vasik Rajlich. He stood on the shoulders of geniuses to develop his program, while at the same time jealously claming any improvements as his personal intellectual property. Fat and bloated with success he has no need to fix the bugs found in Rybka 3 and 4. Keeping them all tagging along like so many puppy dogs trying to be useful to their master. Now as the clear light of morning comes streaming through the window, only now they see. Greed is the great destroyer of men.

For over months they have been waiting for an update that did not come. Vas made many promises that went unfulfilled. Many on his forum contributed to the development of Rybka from its very beginnings. Testing and offering solutions to problems that directly lead to increasing its strength. They all paid tribute, literally gold from their pockets went into his hands. The engine chess community put all their eggs in one basket, only to find the entrusted man making deals with his competitors and failing to act upon the consensus of his customers.

My question now is: Shall we stand behind a man we no longer trust to work in our best interests or return to the proven method of scientific development of allowing others to build upon past work. Should we help protect Vas’s profits by yelling “Clone” every time we see a chess engine that possibly used some of his ideas in its code. Or should we all work together to encourage others to build upon his work and continue the advancement of chess programs. Let us have this debate.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

If the money is in the way, then don't buy it.
Obviously, it is an excellent analysis tool.

I recommend that you collect as many as you can and decide for yourself.

See the following:
http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/
http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/40_40%2 ... liste.html
http://www.inwoba.de/

With EGTB installed, Rybka 4 is as good as any other engine for long time analysis.

I personally recommend the following (in no particular order):
1. Rybka 4
2. Critter 0.90
3. Houdini 1.3a
4. Ivanhoe 999950k
5. Stockfish 1.91

You will find haters for all of the above. I don't know what's wrong with them, because all of these engines are excellent.

As soon as SMP versions are available, Gull and Komodo will be absolute must haves.

And, if you want fresh ideas, you should also try other engines as well that are not on the biggest muscles list. Gaviota springs to mind.

IMO-YMMV
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Dann Corbit wrote:If the money is in the way, then don't buy it.
Obviously, it is an excellent analysis tool.

I recommend that you collect as many as you can and decide for yourself.

See the following:
http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/
http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/40_40%2 ... liste.html
http://www.inwoba.de/

With EGTB installed, Rybka 4 is as good as any other engine for long time analysis.

I personally recommend the following (in no particular order):
1. Rybka 4
2. Critter 0.90
3. Houdini 1.3a
4. Ivanhoe 999950k
5. Stockfish 1.91

You will find haters for all of the above. I don't know what's wrong with them, because all of these engines are excellent.

As soon as SMP versions are available, Gull and Komodo will be absolute must haves.

And, if you want fresh ideas, you should also try other engines as well that are not on the biggest muscles list. Gaviota springs to mind.

IMO-YMMV
Agreed !
A honest post !

Silvian

PS: Critter 0.90 is amazing !
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Thanks. Sounds about right. R 4 is a valid engine then with tablebases. I just hate to buy it as the 3+ never came out and I feel defrauded. At this juncture I think I will make do with R3 , firebird,Houdini,stockfish and Ivanhoe. Although my old Shredder 11 has surprided me against some of these engines in deep manoevering games. Curious.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

rybka 4.1 (a patch, not an upgrade, afaik) is being beta tested & should be released soon, fwiw. the main thing is it will allow mpv analysis, which is a huge setback for MP R4 users. it may have a couple new features as well. i think the rook endgame scaling feature in R4 is useful for analysis purposes, so if there are one or two more on that level or better it could become a worthy investment. you may just want to wait a couple weeks & see what 4.1 offers, assuming it comes.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

yanquis1972 wrote:rybka 4.1 ..............., assuming it comes.

Hi John !

Do you belive ?

:lol:

Silvian

PS: what about rental Rybka ?????