Best human style chess software

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jon12345

Best human style chess software

Post by Jon12345 »

I want the following chess software:

- one that plays a human style
- one where you can alter the styles of play (solid, passive, active etc.) but it randomly chooses
- one where I can edit the standard of play by ELO.

Any recommendations?

Jon
Jon
yanquis1972

Re: Best human style chess software

Post by yanquis1972 »

i dont think you can have the software randomly choose the style. as far as pay programs, shredder, hiarcs & junior all have easily adjustable elo levels & styles (both shredder & hiarcs have the 3 you mentioned pre-set, essentally; shredder has about 5 i think & hiarcs has solid, active (default) & aggressive). junior is probably the most & easiest customizable of the three as well as the most active. when the last junior came out i created some pretty awesome master-level strength personalities that were ridiculously aggressive & sacrificial & would be me sure to give most any human a real brainmelting challenge, even if a machine would cut through almost all of the attacks. iirc it performed at or above the level of fritz 5.32 in head to head games. the new junior has a customizable elo feature as well.
menniepals

Post by menniepals »

Delfi is good. Everybody claims their engines play like humans.
arturo100

Post by arturo100 »

Jon12345 wrote:I want the following chess software:

Why you want to give to a software all our weaknesses? :wink:
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

- one where you can alter the styles of play (solid, passive, active etc.) but it randomly chooses
- one where I can edit the standard of play by ELO.

Any recommendations?

Jon

My vote goes to Rebel 12.0.
fern

Post by fern »

Just get a not too strong engine and that is, there you have a human style player, a player that commits mistakes of every kind but at the same time can play good moves between the mistakes.
I cannot see what other thing to play human could means.

Fern
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 22&t=33555
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Play the Turk.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

fern wrote:Just get a not too strong engine and that is, there you have a human style player, a player that commits mistakes of every kind but at the same time can play good moves between the mistakes.
I cannot see what other thing to play human could means.

Fern
oh fern, you truly do not have an aesthetes bone in your body.

i realize 'style' in chess is always oversimplified, even re computers, but it does exist...say you're 2100. would you rather play against a machine who randomly moves so as to equalize over several games as a 2100, or one which has a distinctive style, perhaps preferences, as humans do? eg likes sacrificing pawns, kinghunting, prophylaxis just-try-to-beat-me sort of play...these things are fun, no? these are the things that can simulate a human OTB experience. otherwise you are merely playing against a dumb machine, & there is no real joy to be found there, win or lose, move by move.
fern

Post by fern »

Oh my dear friend, I do have some of those bones or I could not to be a writer. In my answer I just went partially tongue in cheek as you say....
Nevertheless, there is a point in what I told to our pal. Middle strength engines are not as you put them, playing randomly here and there. They really try but they have positional shortcoming and so they play as a middle human player, too. My experience with Homer has been of that kind. Same with other middle engines.
I tend to think a middle player han not style at all...beyond the style coming from mistakes.

a hug
Fern.