As it stands now...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nimzovik

Re: As it stands now...

Post by Nimzovik »

Ok...... What would trigger a false positive? Barring selective site "nudging..."
Dave Mitchell

Post by Dave Mitchell »

Try Avast - it has a free version, updates daily (takes just seconds), and has only given me 3 false positives in 4 years.

AVG is another free version that I like, but Avast is my favorite.

What I didn't like about McAfee was 1) it required too many resources, and 2) somehow, the viruses kept getting in, despite doing everything I could except go off-line.

Since I started with AVG and/or Avast, I've been hit with one virus, and it went through every anti-viral software when it first came out.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Most of the Anti Virus software bring your computer to its knees. They usually introduce a bunch of crap that is useful to nobody and as far as I am concerned, they end up acting like malware themselves. Best is probably Kaspersky as it seems to have a very tiny footprint. Better yet is just to simply be careful and have your latest security updates on. I mean don't press "accept" on everything and anything and you really don't need anti virus. I usually keep one computer that I use for reading emails and going places where I shouldn't be going ... and I have Kaspersky on that. On my other computers I run them without any protection except that I keep my data on a separate partition, and I usually have a mirror Image of my setup just after I have updated and installed all the software I like. This way if something goes wrong I just simply reformat and install the image.
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Points taken. However I was referencing the Mcafee tool bar site rater.

No AV...... Probably right! :?