Fritz 12 Joke

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nimzovik

Fritz 12 Joke

Post by Nimzovik »

I am pulling hair out. I am sitting in fetal position on floor. I am sucking thumb. I tried everything.. I mean everything I know to udate Fritz 12. I uninstall, I reinstall, I uninstall AV and fire wall. Everything seems fine. I get upgrade box after download but inevitably I get :Fritz SP 12" not insatlled after I initialize downloaded upgrade!! I'll teach you Fritz!! "Just for that I.. I.. I will never go to the bathroom again!!" Wad u think of dat eh?!!

What is that Rybka sweetie? You wouldn't treat me like that? I luvs you! You and Aquarium too! Chantilly Lace: " Awwwww baby you knows what I like!!"

Never buying Chessbase database or chess program from chessbase ever again- regards-- Alex. Excuse me while I chew off big Toe. Just add a little salt....

|?%&!$#$!&#&$^%&*(/*_!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man! That hurts!!
Darkmoon

Re: Fritz 12 Joke

Post by Darkmoon »

I upgraded to windows 7 pro and had some difficulty with what I thought was a virus- formatted again after installing as before my programs. In short, I exceeded the "3" installs of Fritz 12 without having deactivated prior to my formatting(what a pain in the ass that fine print can be).

Anyhow, I contacted Chessbase tech support and was given another lease on Fritz 12's life with an accredited "3" activations.

P.S.

And, yes! During this whole escapade- at least I could turn to Aquarium 4.0.6 for solace-and continue to wonder why I even bother with Fritz 12 (probably because it was a gift from a good friend).

Happy Holidays!
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Personally I think chessbase products are vilified way too much. They really are not that bad and I have never had a problem updating. I do agree that the protection scheme is disgusting and hurts the honest users more than it thwarts hackers or pirates. I hate it so much that I don't even load a Fritz engine anymore simply because I don't want to go through the hassle of looking for the DVD every once in a while when I load the engine.
poisonedpawn

Post by poisonedpawn »

i agree. i have always found CB products to be good. but i have also had problems with updates in the past. the fritz 11 (deep rybka) patch was almost impossible to find. i looked on the CB site but nothing, in the end i got a link from a rybka forum member that directed me to the 'german' CB site and there it was. so why it was only available in the german and not the english sites i have no idea. often the GUI will say it is up to date with all updates when this is clearly not the case. but overall i do think their products are still the best out there and the fritz GUI is definitely my favourite.
the geeks shall inherit the earth
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Yah.... Chessbase -as advertised- if they function- are indeed quite good. However just right now I am feeling like a jilted lover. I contacted (sent e-mail) to chessbase. I am awaiting a response.

My Fritz 12 did not update on the first install! Perhaps is because I bought it (legitimately) from Viva Media from an Office Max store. Curious as I already had Fritz 11 on my machine. I installed Fritz 12 and Fritz 11 still remained. Historically if I recall correctly that is not past practice. Or is it? If this is indeed the issue then Chessbase needs a fix for this when they use alternative companies to sell their product.

Note also the non updated program appears to be quite buggy. I had my clocks disappear once I started a blitz game!

Will keep posting on saga until resolved or I eat my other big toe. :cry: :cry:
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Nimzovik wrote:I am pulling hair out. I am sitting in fetal position on floor. I am sucking thumb. I tried everything.. I mean everything I know to udate Fritz 12. I uninstall, I reinstall, I uninstall AV and fire wall. Everything seems fine. I get upgrade box after download but inevitably I get :Fritz SP 12" not insatlled after I initialize downloaded upgrade!! I'll teach you Fritz!! "Just for that I.. I.. I will never go to the bathroom again!!" Wad u think of dat eh?!!

What is that Rybka sweetie? You wouldn't treat me like that? I luvs you! You and Aquarium too! Chantilly Lace: " Awwwww baby you knows what I like!!"

Never buying Chessbase database or chess program from chessbase ever again- regards-- Alex. Excuse me while I chew off big Toe. Just add a little salt....

|?%&!$#$!&#&$^%&*(/*_!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man! That hurts!!
I'm presuming you are going on this giant rant after contacting their support.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

I am ranting, as you put it, as I am severely frustrated. I am still awaiting support response.
Tom Barrister

Post by Tom Barrister »

In business as a general rule, the bigger a company gets, the more complacent it gets, and the less it cares about customer service or public relations (i.e. support).

In 1936 A&P was the largest grocer in the United States, bar none. In 1950, Penn Central (Railroad) was the largest corporation in the United States, bar none. In 1948, Montgomery Ward was the largest department store chain in the U.S.. In 1970, General Motors was the largest auto producer in the U .S. (about 55% of the domestic market).

These corporations have three other things in common: they got complacent, they quit caring about what their customers wanted, and they've all gone bankrupt at some point in time.

Apple was once the largest personal computer manufacturer. It stopped caring about its customers and almost went under. Microsoft is the largest software manufacturer. Nintendo once had a near-monopoly on the console video game market. It turned into a dictator, telling software manufacturers and retailers alike what they could and couldn't do. Both abandoned Nintendo for others (i.e. Sega, Sony). Nintendo would have gone bankrupt had it not been for Gameboy. Microsoft had a stranglehold on the O/S software for a while. Up until very recently, it treated its customers and software vendors like dirt. It suffered for it, and while it's still the biggest, it's lost some ground. Back in the mid and late 90's, Netscape had the lion's share of the browser market.

I could go on and on with examples. They all have three things in common: each got complacent, each stopped caring what the customers and/or end-users/businesses thought, and each one got hit hard because of it. The phrase "Too big for their britches" comes to mind, and we all know what happens to people/entities who get too big for their britches.

Now, Chessbase has supposedly the best database software. It doesn't seem to take care of its customers. Rybka is supposedly the strongest engine in the world. From what I read, it doesn't seem to take care of its customers. Wal Mart has the largest retail outlet business. I can tell you for a fact that it doesn't take care of its customers. What do you suppose will happen to each of those in the future? History repeats itself, and in a free society, customers will only stand for so much before they vote with their feet.

As expensive as Chessbase is, I wouldn't think that they could afford to slight their customers, but I guess it's their call. I don't own or use any of their software, including the free things.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

At our company, I have a saying I always bring up in meetings whenever anyone gets an idea:
"If you want your company to prosper, make your customers prosper."
Anything that does not fit that goal is a mistake.

I have lots of ChessBase software. I rarely use any of it.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Tom Barrister wrote:In business as a general rule, the bigger a company gets, the more complacent it gets, and the less it cares about customer service or public relations (i.e. support).
Chessbase is a big company??
Back in the mid and late 90's, Netscape had the lion's share of the browser market.
And they got complacent and didn't care about support, is that it?
Now, Chessbase has supposedly the best database software. It doesn't seem to take care of its customers.
You base this on what exactly?
As expensive as Chessbase is, I wouldn't think that they could afford to slight their customers, but I guess it's their call.
I am missing the point of this post I guess. Who was this insulted customer?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."