Houdini 1.5 is released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

yanquis1972

Re: Houdini 1.5 is released

Post by yanquis1972 »

Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Houdini wrote:The new Houdini 1.5 is available.

Main features are improved evaluation and search (by about 35 Elo), and Gaviota EGTB support.
Detailed information and download can be found at http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .

I've created a mailbox for problem reports, suggestions or requests, you'll find the address on the web page.
If you enjoy Houdini, feel free to donate to the development of Houdini. Donations will be used for purchasing hardware to improve the testing of Houdini and will contribute directly to future versions.

Cheers,
Robert
I am really glad about the GTB support. This is especially valuable for me right now, because I am analyzing a big clump of checkmates ( a few hundred thousand of them).
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Thanks Mr. Houdart. Great engine.

Yikes. Mcaffee toolbar gives last posted site for download as questionable. I will wait till better site is provided.

Major :shock: Paranoid :shock: regards - :?
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

should be ok, but you can avoid if you wish. there are probably lot of scripts running there...best to wait if you're on the paranoid side.
gerold

Post by gerold »

yanquis1972 wrote:should be ok, but you can avoid if you wish. there are probably lot of scripts running there...best to wait if you're on the paranoid side.
Thanks John . No problem with the site.

Best,
Gerold.
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

Hi Robert,
Did you get permission to use the Nalimov endgame tablebases? I have seen Eugene Nalimov give permission here on talk chess years ago for another engine author to use the tablebases on his program maybe he is no longer active in chess. My question to everybody is at what point does the Nalimov endgame tablebases become public domain that either because the author either is never available for permission or the age of the content or the author is dead. Mr. Nalimov doesn't charge for the endgame tablebases so could you add the Nalimov tablebase support as an undocumented feature? Maybe Kirill Kryukov can find Mr. Nalimov , he has ran several Nalimov endgame boards and projects in the past, otherwise maybe Stefan Meyer-Kaylen (Shredder) might offer some help he is always very nice and helpful when I contact him it's a longshot but worth asking him. Thanks for your hard work. Daniel :D
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

daniel71 wrote:Hi Robert,
Did you get permission to use the Nalimov endgame tablebases? I have seen Eugene Nalimov give permission here on talk chess years ago for another engine author to use the tablebases on his program maybe he is no longer active in chess. My question to everybody is at what point does the Nalimov endgame tablebases become public domain that either because the author either is never available for permission or the age of the content or the author is dead. Mr. Nalimov doesn't charge for the endgame tablebases so could you add the Nalimov tablebase support as an undocumented feature? Maybe Kirill Kryukov can find Mr. Nalimov , he has ran several Nalimov endgame boards and projects in the past, otherwise maybe Stefan Meyer-Kaylen (Shredder) might offer some help he is always very nice and helpful when I contact him it's a longshot but worth asking him. Thanks for your hard work. Daniel :D
He is using Gaviota tablebase files.
Nalimov would become public domain when the copyright runs out. Copyrights last a surprisingly long time.

Time for the Nalimov tablebase files to fade into obscurity and for the Gav files to rule the world. The dinosaurs are dying and the mammals have gotten the toehold.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

I didn't manage to get in contact with Eugene Nalimov and consequently did not include the Nalimov probing code in the Houdini 1.5 release.
Any assistance in this matter would be appreciated, for me it's just a matter of compiling Houdini with the appropriate compilation switches.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Houdini wrote:
I didn't manage to get in contact with Eugene Nalimov and consequently did not include the Nalimov probing code in the Houdini 1.5 release.
Any assistance in this matter would be appreciated, for me it's just a matter of compiling Houdini with the appropriate compilation switches.
You'll also need to contact :
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-kadatch/3/74b/66
eberle

Post by eberle »

Thanks Robert!
Does version 1.5 use large parges? I see no UCI option.
Regards Dieter