Houdini 1.5 is released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Flesher

Re: Houdini 1.5 is released

Post by Robert Flesher »

yanquis1972 wrote:
Houdini wrote:
milan123 wrote:Houdini probably doesn't use large pages :(
When Ivanhoe is using large pages, "Working Set" is lower than "Private Bytes":
(Just after restart, 6GB ram.)
You're absolutely right.
It appears that I've managed to compile the current release version with the Large Page support disabled. :( :( :(

For the people that intend to use this feature, I promise to release in a couple of days a compile with the large page support enabled (but otherwise perfectly identical to the current version). Hopefully this is the only gaffe of the release...

Thank you for testing, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Robert
hi robert,

quickly running through your engine & while it seems to be an improvement, it also (as far as i can tell) still lacks the 'creativity' that it shares with its lineage (i don't believe any of ippolit, crafty or stockfish are particularly good speculative engines). do you have any plans to address this and/or have you attempted to do so with 1.5?

Although I am very fond of the attacking speculative engines I believe that your assessment does not reflect or address what Robert Houdart has managed to do. It would appear he has created the strongest chess engine in the world. Period! Also, I happen to feel Houdini's style is elegant and beautiful. Perhaps, instead of making obscure statements, play a few more games, you make see the light. Maybe, Houdini can even show you the Dragon is still viable. :wink:
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

sigh...robert, i appreciate your posts, but using words like 'elegant' and 'beautiful' are, to say the least, 'obscure'. sure houdini plays its own way, a la shredder but with better tactics. nevertheless, the coding seems to have room for improvement in the area i mentioned. perhaps not.

if you don't get what i'm saying, fine. i notice that houdini, for all its strength still may be relatively weak on matters of king attack and king safety. it's by no means an insult, & as i said, it's after a very quick preview of the engine.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Houdini wrote:The new Houdini 1.5 is available.

Main features are improved evaluation and search (by about 35 Elo), and Gaviota EGTB support.
Detailed information and download can be found at http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .

I've created a mailbox for problem reports, suggestions or requests, you'll find the address on the web page.
If you enjoy Houdini, feel free to donate to the development of Houdini. Donations will be used for purchasing hardware to improve the testing of Houdini and will contribute directly to future versions.

Cheers,
Robert
Thanks for the very strong engine Robert.

Looks for sure to be the strongest engine now.

Best,
Gerold.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

yanquis1972 wrote:sigh...robert, i appreciate your posts, but using words like 'elegant' and 'beautiful' are, to say the least, 'obscure'. sure houdini plays its own way, a la shredder but with better tactics. nevertheless, the coding seems to have room for improvement in the area i mentioned. perhaps not.

if you don't get what i'm saying, fine. i notice that houdini, for all its strength still may be relatively weak on matters of king attack and king safety. it's by no means an insult, & as i said, it's after a very quick preview of the engine.
I think I do understand, but I disagree. For example : test Houdini in any tactical suite and it will perform amazing! Houndini often attacks with brilliance, but it does not take risky chances. Many VERY famous and strong grandmasters Petrosian, Karpov, Capablanca, Kramnik ( and many more) also played like this. It's a style that is very hard to crack. Even Kasparov was unable to beat Kramnik's slow positional steem roller style and eventually lost his title to him. This speaks volumes for this type of play.

Again I will say I love the aggressive , speculative engines. Infact the settings I created ( dissident aggressor) for Zappa Mexico II is still the most aggressive I have seen yet. But I remember this quote ,
( not verbatim)
" The delight in gambits is a sign of chess youth... In very much the same way as the young man, on reaching his manhood, lays aside the Indian stories and stories of adventure, and turns to the pyschological novel, we with maturing experience leave off the gambit playing and become interested in the less vivacious but withal more forceful maneuvers of the positional player. -Emanual Lasker-
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

I guess I might sign up and donate for all your efforts Robert.

Nice engine for analysing and... yes the GTB support is really appreciated.
It was the first thing I checked after configuring.
Keep up the good work.

:D
JManion

Post by JManion »

In CB 10, when I open a new game, and turn on Houdini 1.5 x64 for infinite analysis, the engine and the program will freeze every few moves.

I will be unable to move any pieces, and the depth and node counts will freeze.
LaurenceChen

Post by LaurenceChen »

JManion wrote:In CB 10, when I open a new game, and turn on Houdini 1.5 x64 for infinite analysis, the engine and the program will freeze every few moves.

I will be unable to move any pieces, and the depth and node counts will freeze.
Unable to duplicate your problem. Works fine with CB10 in infinite analysis.
brinan
Full name: bri nan

Post by brinan »

Thanks for new release.

Will add to my chess ladder.

Next set of challenges will include Deep Rybka 4 v Houdini 1.5 (both with Large Page support off).
Click on www button for all event details and games.
News can be received automatically by subscribing to my RSS feed (click on icon near top).
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Houdini banned on CEGT & CCRL ?

Post by Sylwy »

:evil: :twisted: WHY ? :twisted: :evil:
===========================
It's the best chess engine I ever seen !

:roll: S :roll:
===========================

Robert Houdart working to his telescope ! He want to know if extraterrestrials use his celestial engine !!! :lol:

De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Houdini wrote:The new Houdini 1.5 is available.

Main features are improved evaluation and search (by about 35 Elo), and Gaviota EGTB support.
Detailed information and download can be found at http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm .

I've created a mailbox for problem reports, suggestions or requests, you'll find the address on the web page.
If you enjoy Houdini, feel free to donate to the development of Houdini. Donations will be used for purchasing hardware to improve the testing of Houdini and will contribute directly to future versions.

Cheers,
Robert
Thank you very much for your brilliant new Houdini 1.5!

With kind regards from Belgium,

DVW.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.