Will Chessbase support Gaviota endgame tablebases?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

daniel71

Will Chessbase support Gaviota endgame tablebases?

Post by daniel71 »

Hi everybody,
I just wrote Chessbase to ask if they will support the Gaviota tablebases and I hope you will too! I have to admit I didn't pay much attention to this this tablebase standard before because of the lack of a 6-piece dataset and I have 2 sets of the 6-piece Nalimov gold 100GB set from Convetka. The Gaviota tablebases looks like a better way to go now.

Ps to Robert Houdart I found the phone number and address for Eugene Nalimov but cannot give it here but maybe it's not necessary now to add Nalimov support if Gaviota tablebases are better.
Houdini

Re: Will Chessbase support Gaviota endgame tablebases?

Post by Houdini »

daniel71 wrote:Ps to Robert Houdart I found the phone number and address for Eugene Nalimov but cannot give it here but maybe it's not necessary now to add Nalimov support if Gaviota tablebases are better.
Daniel, if possible please send it to me via PM or to houdini(at)cruxis.be .
Thank you!
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

Hi Robert,
Please check your website e-mail for contact information for Mr. Nalimov.
Good Luck and let us know if he approves the tablebases for Houdini! :D
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

I think it unwise to expect Chessbase to consider anything other that which is WIIFM for them.
mhalstern

Post by mhalstern »

What means WIIFM?
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

mhalstern wrote:What means WIIFM?
I think it stands for "What's In It For Me?".
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

Hi, they can sell the data like Nalimov endgame tablebases. I would buy the the DVDs before downloading the data. No virus's and other trojan horses to worry about in data. Downloading data might get you into trouble from your ISP also they can start selling blu-ray discs and say it's more advanced 64-bit tablebases or some other marketing angle. Besides if people ask for this they will move to please their customers (yes Chessbase still cares about their wallet) no business will ignore customer request if there is a market for it. Next I will contact Convetka and see what their response will be for supporting Gaviota tablebases :P
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

correct
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

I am sure they will and in the next ChessBase prospects you will be able to read :"ChessBase is now the first Chess GUI to support the Gaviota Tablebases" . They have done the same way with many other featuers that were supported by other chess GUIs first: UCI-support, FRC,...

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Michael Diosi wrote:Hi,

I am sure they will and in the next ChessBase prospects you will be able to read :"ChessBase is now the first Chess GUI to support the Gaviota Tablebases" . They have done the same way with many other featuers that were supported by other chess GUIs first: UCI-support, FRC,...

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com

Hello Michael,

Now you are just being mean to poor Chessbase! I am sure they will be careful to say that they are the first commercial gui to support GTB's.

:-)

Later.