Excerpts from the speech of Mr.Rajlich to e-chess players

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Excerpts from the speech of Mr.Rajlich to e-chess players

Post by Sylwy »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Alternative Rental Possibilities : http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=20058
ChessBase GmbH and Convekta Ltd. are now working on solutions which will allow their customers to access the Rybka Cluster at any time without advance booking on a per-minute basis. We'll provide information about these possibilities when they become available.

Additionally, cheaper Rybka Cluster configurations of less than 40 physical cores will be made available later in 2011.

Huraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !
The e-chess players from the 15-th world are saved ! :roll:
Long live Mr.VR & his team ! :lol:
I think will be also some scholarships giving access -for free- to these clusters ! :lol:

Give me your money gentlemen !

Clustering regards,
:roll: S :roll:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE !
Robert Flesher

Re: Excerpts from the speech of Mr.Rajlich to e-chess player

Post by Robert Flesher »

Sylwy wrote:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Alternative Rental Possibilities : http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=20058
ChessBase GmbH and Convekta Ltd. are now working on solutions which will allow their customers to access the Rybka Cluster at any time without advance booking on a per-minute basis. We'll provide information about these possibilities when they become available.

Additionally, cheaper Rybka Cluster configurations of less than 40 physical cores will be made available later in 2011.

Huraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !
The e-chess players from the 15-th world are saved ! :roll:
Long live Mr.VR & his team ! :lol:
I think will be also some scholarships giving access -for free- to these clusters ! :lol:

Give me your money gentlemen !

Clustering regards,
:roll: S :roll:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE !
I'd suggest that some should read this fine excerpt :

"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them, the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave."

Ernest Miller Hemingway
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Yes, Rybka is a commercial enterprise. Do you have problems with that? :roll:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

hgm wrote:Yes, Rybka is a commercial enterprise. Do you have problems with that? :roll:
I do :evil:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
hgm

Post by hgm »

Do you have something against capitalism in general, or just in the context of software, or specifically for strong Chess programs?

It seems clear we would not have engines as strong as we have them now if there had not been commercial engnes. We would probably be stuck at the level of GNU Chess...
Gino Figlio

Post by Gino Figlio »

Houdini, Stockfish, Critter, Spark, Komodo and Crafty are examples that commercial engines are not indispensable nowadays.

I personally do not have any problems with any commercial enterprise. Furthermore I would rent the rybka cluster if someone tested it and demonstrated it's the best option available. The fees would have to be reasonable of course.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Gino Figlio wrote:Houdini, Stockfish, Critter, Spark, Komodo and Crafty are examples that commercial engines are not indispensable nowadays.
But that was not the question. If there never would have been commercial engines, there also would be no Houdini, Stockfish, Spark or Komodo today, and no Crafty as we know it. And it seems naive to think thee is no future after today. I have little doubt that the top Chess engines 10 years from now will be much stronger in the scenario where a large number of talented proffessionals will be payed to devote their time to research and improvement of engines, than in the scenario where this is left only to volenteers. There is little academic interest left in computer Chess, nowadays; it is considered a solved problem in AI. But if there is no money to be made in computer Chess, people will in stead get obs todo something else.
fern

Post by fern »

I do not see which is the point of all this supposedly funny tirade.
Rybka is a commercial program, you can purchase it or not. The author get a life from it, so he ask money. I do ask money for my work and surely you do the same.
If someone does not like the product or the service or whatever he can simply not to buy.
If someone believe with reason or not that there are free engines better than Rybka, surely he will not buy either.
In all this I do not see which is the problem.

Fern
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

hgm wrote:Do you have something against capitalism in general, or just in the context of software, or specifically for strong Chess programs?

It seems clear we would not have engines as strong as we have them now if there had not been commercial engnes. We would probably be stuck at the level of GNU Chess...
I have something against not releasing Rybka 3+ as a free bug fix for the customers as promised by this creature in the picture and instead selling it as Rybka 4 to the customers....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
hgm

Post by hgm »

Sounds like crappy customer service. But are you sure this service was included and promised with the original purchase?