Excerpts from the speech of Mr.Rajlich to e-chess players

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nimzovik

Re: Excerpts from the speech of Mr.Rajlich to e-chess player

Post by Nimzovik »

After reading all the above I am still araid I am slipping into becoming a Decemberist!
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Nimzovik wrote:After reading all the above I am still araid I am slipping into becoming a Decemberist!
Everyone likes free money but that has a big downside if everyone gets free money.
Terry McCracken
notyetagm

Post by notyetagm »

Sylwy wrote:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Alternative Rental Possibilities : http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=20058
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
ChessBase GmbH and Convekta Ltd. are now working on solutions which will allow their customers to access the Rybka Cluster at any time without advance booking on a per-minute basis. We'll provide information about these possibilities when they become available.

Additionally, cheaper Rybka Cluster configurations of less than 40 physical cores will be made available later in 2011.

Huraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah !
The e-chess players from the 15-th world are saved ! :roll:
Long live Mr.VR & his team ! :lol:
I think will be also some scholarships giving access -for free- to these clusters ! :lol:

Give me your money gentlemen !

Clustering regards,
:roll: S :roll:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE !
ROFLMAO!

Happy New Year!
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Yah. No duh! :!: Ok I am now officially off two chess companies. Lets all chant "Robert Houdart Robert Houdart Robert Houdart!!" Please Oh mighty Robert! Deliver us from exploitation! Start your own server!

Going back to FICS regards --Alex.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

hgm wrote:Sounds like crappy customer service. But are you sure this service was included and promised with the original purchase?
Yep.You can ask the people here,they will confirm my statement....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

The R3 + has been a sore point for a very very long time.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
hgm wrote:Sounds like crappy customer service. But are you sure this service was included and promised with the original purchase?
Dr.D
Well, if he does not live up to the conditions of the sale, why doesn't anyone sue him? The fact that no one took him tocort is proof that he is within his rights, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

hgm wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dr.D
Well, if he does not live up to the conditions of the sale, why doesn't anyone sue him? The fact that no one took him tocort is proof that he is within his rights, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the subject of court cases, the exchange below may explain why Vas did not pursue the Ippolit case through the courts. He really does seem to be very very unfortunate!!
Harvey Williamson wrote:
benstoker wrote:
Sven Schüle wrote: Re. Rybka 3 source code: Unfortunately, I don't have it. (Yes, it was careless. I'm keeping the Rybka 4 source code.) It's not necessary for writing up the Ippolit case, but it would probably make a court case more difficult.

Best regards,
Vas
Vas says he doesn't have the source code for Rybka 3. Surely he doesn't mean he lost it. Did he just sell it to Chessbase or something? Is that what he means? Even so, why would he be so "careless"? What does that mean? Careless in losing the source code? Careless to sell it to someone?

He says he's keeping the source for Rybka 4, but doesn't have the source for Rybka 3. Therefore, Rybka 4 must have hardly any code from Rybka 3.
I think it is a clever use of words. He does not have the exact source from R3 that may be true. I bet he has source from a version very close to R3. It is not uncommon to produce several versions every week.
wims

Post by wims »

Getting paid is not directly related to performance, infact, I could argue that it has no effect whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

This video clearly proves that chess programs would have come just as far as they have today, even if there were no payware engines out there
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

hgm wrote:
Gino Figlio wrote:Houdini, Stockfish, Critter, Spark, Komodo and Crafty are examples that commercial engines are not indispensable nowadays.
But that was not the question. If there never would have been commercial engines, there also would be no Houdini, Stockfish, Spark or Komodo today, and no Crafty as we know it.
This is only an opinion and we do not know it.

Not all programmers who spend time on chess engines do it for money and the fact that there are many free source engines prove it.

I think also that the main motivation of part of the commercial programmers is also not the money and
it is possible that we could see more free source code in the case of no commercial engines(because in that case programmers who understand that they cannot make money may decide that they want to release their source).