Houdini 1.5 is released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nelson Hernandez

Re: Houdini 1.5 is released

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

You might have some luck if you go into Task Manager and change Houdini's base priority from Normal to Low. Houdini is quite a resource hog.
Nelson Hernandez

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

Robert, I have read similar problems from multiple people. I suspect the root of the problem is that Houdini loads with "Normal" base priority and slows down everything on your computer including GUI. You might take a slight performance hit, but I suspect a lot of these problems would disappear if it was simply changed to "Low" priority.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Graham Banks wrote:
BTO7 wrote:Why most go to Open Chess forum now.

BT
It's a shame they don't stay there and pollute that forum with their crap instead of this one.
Mr. Banks,

You go from bad to worse man.
Your place is not in a chess-forum but in kindergarten.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Nelson Hernandez wrote:Robert, I have read similar problems from multiple people. I suspect the root of the problem is that Houdini loads with "Normal" base priority and slows down everything on your computer including GUI. You might take a slight performance hit, but I suspect a lot of these problems would disappear if it was simply changed to "Low" priority.
Nelson,

It's not up to Houdini to decide at what priority it should run. The GUI is in full control of the engines, and decides when and at what priority they run.

This is demonstrated by the fact that some GUIs have a specific option for controlling the engine process priority, whereas other GUIs don't have this option but will run the engine by default at lower priority.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Milos wrote:
Steve B wrote:Several posts in this thread have been removed due to complaints and charter violations
if a post of yours is missing as a result of splitting the thread
we apolgize for the inconvience
members should refrain from making OT posts that have nothing to do with computer chess
So posts about Panda, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc. are not OT right?
Great job Steve, really great job...
OMG, you're still whinging...Want a tissue?
Terry McCracken
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

Thanks, Robert. 50 Elo is a fantastic achievement!
swami

Post by swami »

Hi Robert,

The engine is extremely good at analysis, and top GM no less than Peter Svidler uses it.

I'd like to see Iphone or Android version of Houdini! Is it in the works? Ofcourse, I understand improving the PC strength of Houdini even more is top priority.

Keep up the good work!

Best wishes,
Swami
James Constance

How do you know Peter Svidler uses Houdini?
tano-urayoan

Post by tano-urayoan »

James Constance wrote:How do you know Peter Svidler uses Houdini?
http://www.crestbook.com/en/node/1390

"ChemaAnton: Hello, Peter! Which engine do you use for analysis? (if it’s not a secret).
Тактик: Which chess programs do you prefer – which engines do you use?

I’ve put together quite a large collection – although I’ve also seen much more complete menageries than mine. At the moment the ones I use most are Houdini, Fire and Rybka."
James Constance

Thanks. Actually, I'd be surprised if there was any top GM that wasn't using Houdini. I'm sure the word gets around pretty quickly.