Allow steroids

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

benstoker

Allow steroids

Post by benstoker »

How about this. Quit testing and just let all athletes use steroids, HGH, EPO, bionic limbs, whatever, and let's just see who runs the fastest.

How about this. Allow ALL chess engines in tournaments regardless of origin and originality. Everybody has copied alpha-beta. You engine authors are ALL plagiarists. Don't you realize this? You all use the same algorithms. Every one of you. The differences are only slight shades of gray, really amounting to little more than tweaks and optimizations of parameters. Which engine author today actually owns a truly original and revolutionary idea? Who?

Just let ALL engines enter and compete and let's just see who's fastest.

There can be two camps. Camp One includes all authors who make available their source for inspection by tournament directors. Camp Two includes those who choose not to reveal source for inspection.

All Camp Two engines get little asterisks next to their name in the final tally.

Guess what? Now we get to see who the real champ is, even if the real champ is just another iteration of another iteration of chess engine tweaks to a plagiarized body of source code.

After all, at the end of the day, don't we all just want to know which engine is the best? If Houdini is the top dog, that's all that the majority of chess players give a damn about. Call it the Top Dog Criterion. The Top Dog Criterion always enjoys, let's call it "senior lien status", and forecloses all the other "junior lien" interests of legitimacy, originality, etc.

Do you really think all the GMs refrain from using Houdini or the Ippo bunch?
michiguel

Re: Allow steroids

Post by michiguel »

benstoker wrote:How about this. Quit testing and just let all athletes use steroids, HGH, EPO, bionic limbs, whatever, and let's just see who runs the fastest.

How about this. Allow ALL chess engines in tournaments regardless of origin and originality. Everybody has copied alpha-beta. You engine authors are ALL plagiarists. Don't you realize this? You all use the same algorithms. Every one of you. The differences are only slight shades of gray, really amounting to little more than tweaks and optimizations of parameters. Which engine author today actually owns a truly original and revolutionary idea? Who?
On the other hand, I would propose a doping test for the people posting here. For instance, if you smoked some sort of a weed or inhaled some type of a glue, you cannot post here for 48 hrs. We should allow truly crazy outrageous people to stand out, not its mere chemical imitations.

Miguel

Just let ALL engines enter and compete and let's just see who's fastest.

There can be two camps. Camp One includes all authors who make available their source for inspection by tournament directors. Camp Two includes those who choose not to reveal source for inspection.

All Camp Two engines get little asterisks next to their name in the final tally.

Guess what? Now we get to see who the real champ is, even if the real champ is just another iteration of another iteration of chess engine tweaks to a plagiarized body of source code.

After all, at the end of the day, don't we all just want to know which engine is the best? If Houdini is the top dog, that's all that the majority of chess players give a damn about. Call it the Top Dog Criterion. The Top Dog Criterion always enjoys, let's call it "senior lien status", and forecloses all the other "junior lien" interests of legitimacy, originality, etc.

Do you really think all the GMs refrain from using Houdini or the Ippo bunch?
Michel

Post by Michel »

And it goes on and on and on and on and on and on.....
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

michiguel wrote: On the other hand, I would propose a doping test for the people posting here. For instance, if you smoked some sort of a weed or inhaled some type of a glue, you cannot post here for 48 hrs. We should allow truly crazy outrageous people to stand out, not its mere chemical imitations.

Miguel
You must be on crack, dude!
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

benstoker wrote:How about this. Allow ALL chess engines in tournaments regardless of origin and originality.
This is already done. In the playchess engine room. So if that makes you happy, why not go there?
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

hgm wrote:
benstoker wrote:How about this. Allow ALL chess engines in tournaments regardless of origin and originality.
This is already done. In the playchess engine room. So if that makes you happy, why not go there?
You mean get rid of all the tournaments in favor of just one arena at playchess?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Why do you think I could mean that? Doesn't that thought strike you as absurd?
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

hgm wrote:Why do you think I could mean that? Doesn't that thought strike you as absurd?
Yes. That's why I asked. Doesn't make sense to expect everybody to just go to playchess. What do you mean?
hgm

Post by hgm »

I still don't get it. How would help "getting rid of all tourneys" prevent people from having to go to playchess?
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

hgm wrote:I still don't get it. How would help "getting rid of all tourneys" prevent people from having to go to playchess?
I don't know. It was your idea.