Common sense returns to CCRL

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Re: Common sense returns to CCRL

Post by Sean Evans »

John Conway wrote:CCRL now tests "controversial" engines including Rybka 4 64 bit and Houdini 1.5a 64-bit :D

http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040.l ... ons_only=1
If so, that will be the end of Houdini playing in any further tourneys, the lid is being shut on Houdini, with no escape :D

<center>Image</center>
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

gerold wrote:Sad day for chess when Graham and CCRL go to the other side.
You all know very well my personal views regarding Houdini. They haven't changed.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

Graham Banks wrote:
You all know very well my personal views regarding Houdini. They haven't changed.
lol you can't win graham.

btw, "the other side".. :roll:
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

John Conway wrote:CCRL now tests "controversial" engines including Rybka 4 64 bit and Houdini 1.5a 64-bit :D

http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040.l ... ons_only=1
i'm glad houdini is being tested...not sure why we need the 'controversial' label. that seems awfully subjective compared to the others. if a site wants to pride itself on being objective i'd suggest at very most nothing more than an addendum somewhere. labeling like this is a bit silly.
Tom Barrister

And where do we draw the line?

Post by Tom Barrister »

How do you prove that a closed-source engine does or does not violate the rules, unless the author releases the source?

Also, how can you prove an open-source engine does or does not violate the rules by being a clone/whatever of a closed-source engine, unless the author of the closed-source engine reveals the source?
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"
gerold

Post by gerold »

yanquis1972 wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
lol you can't win graham.

btw, "the other side".. :roll:
Just kidding about the " Going to the other side". Those were the words
Graham used on someone on the other side before. LOL.

Of course Graham can win. He can start his own testing lab.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Graham Banks wrote:
oh yeah? Right.... but Houdini is in CCRL ... and the other side is not so bad :lol: Welcome Graham and don't cut yourself with the razor.... :lol:

With kind regards buddy,

DE VOS W.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I think it is good that CCRL now tests unique engines.It is for the good of CCRL that it does and so therefore for the general population.Don't get caught up in the political aspects of certain engines, one day a squeaky clean engine will come along and be #1 and you will gladly test it.But in the mean time you still have to keep testers and the computer chess enthusiasts on board.
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Gerold,

a rating list have to test engines.
Main order for an engine is to play chess and not which political reasons are in background.

Best
Frank
Possible theft is something different than "political reasons".
For the rest i agree with the purpose of a rating list.

Best regards,
Kaj
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Cubeman wrote:I think it is good that CCRL now tests unique engines.It is for the good of CCRL that it does and so therefore for the general population.Don't get caught up in the political aspects of certain engines, one day a squeaky clean engine will come along and be #1 and you will gladly test it.But in the mean time you still have to keep testers and the computer chess enthusiasts on board.
It amazes me, not pointing at any individual, how easily people are prepared to let common decency and civilization go, for a short moment of possessing something known as the best or so. Some new top chess programmers, who came out of the blue, put hard working original authors out of business.
We are on the highway back to medieval savagery.

Best regards,
Kaj