A Fitting Punishment?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

A Fitting Punishment?

Post by Steve B »

While the ICGA investigation proceeds in Ernest i wonder what the CCC members think would be a fitting punishment ASSUMING all of the allegations are true?

i imagine those charged with hammering out justice in this case will try to match the crime with a fitting punishment

i quote from section 3 of the ICGA Clone and Derivative Investigation Panel founding statues( February 22nd 2011)
(Bold type and underling are my own)

--------------------------------------------------

h] The ICGA shall consider the reports and recommendations of the Panel and shall at its sole discretion decide upon what action if any should be taken. The sanctions that the ICGA might take against those found guilty of cloning or creating a derivative include but are not limited to:

Banning the guilty person(s)from participation in future ICGA events for any period deemed appropriate by the ICGA;

[ii] Publicizing, wheresoever it deems appropriate, the allegations and the names of those who have been investigated by the Panel and the findings of the Panel;

[iii] Recommending to other computer event organizers the exclusion of persons who have been found guilty by the Panel.

[iv] Annulling any titles that have already been awarded to programs that have since found by the Panel to have been clones or derivative programs, and demanding the return of any prize money paid to the offending programmer(s).

-------------------------------------------------------

Some think that each Rybka engine that won from 2007-2010 should be treated differently and if Rybka 2007 is found to be an illegal derivative then this does not carry to Rybka 2008 which should stand on its own..like wise for Rybka 2009 and so on

my own personal feeling regarding the punishment issue is pretty straight forward
IF Rybka is found to have been an illegal derivative for ANY ICGA tournament it entered .. then the engine author should be banned from all events.. past ..present and future
all titles (starting with the first titled engine declared illegal)should be revoked and any prize money clawed back
declaring Rybka 2007 illegal and then allowing Rybka 2010(for example) to retain the world title sends the wrong message to the larger CC community that is watching these proceedings very closely(see thread about mainstream media )
ICGA needs to send a strong and clear message to any future aspiring engine authors that this sort of nonsense will not be tolerated and to the world at large that it can police its own events
ANY Engine author caught entering illegal programs in ICGA events .. forever forfeits the right of participation in future ICGA events
the CC community and ICGA should reward hard working engine authors who try to create something original and not those who play it loose and easy
an example needs to be set in this egregious case
YMMV
Hammer Of Justice Regards
Steve
Sean Evans

Re: A Fitting Punishment?

Post by Sean Evans »

Its Hammer-Time!

[Picture of a large hammer smashing down!]
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Steve B wrote:While the ICGA investigation proceeds in Ernest i wonder what the CCC members think would be a fitting punishment ASSUMING all of the allegations are true?

i imagine those charged with hammering out justice in this case will try to match the crime with a fitting punishment

i quote from section 3 of the ICGA Clone and Derivative Investigation Panel founding statues( February 22nd 2011)
(Bold type and underling are my own)

--------------------------------------------------

h] The ICGA shall consider the reports and recommendations of the Panel and shall at its sole discretion decide upon what action if any should be taken. The sanctions that the ICGA might take against those found guilty of cloning or creating a derivative include but are not limited to:

Banning the guilty person(s)from participation in future ICGA events for any period deemed appropriate by the ICGA;

[ii] Publicizing, wheresoever it deems appropriate, the allegations and the names of those who have been investigated by the Panel and the findings of the Panel;

[iii] Recommending to other computer event organizers the exclusion of persons who have been found guilty by the Panel.

[iv] Annulling any titles that have already been awarded to programs that have since found by the Panel to have been clones or derivative programs, and demanding the return of any prize money paid to the offending programmer(s).

-------------------------------------------------------

Some think that each Rybka engine that won from 2007-2010 should be treated differently and if Rybka 2007 is found to be an illegal derivative then this does not carry to Rybka 2008 which should stand on its own..like wise for Rybka 2009 and so on

my own personal feeling regarding the punishment issue is pretty straight forward
IF Rybka is found to have been an illegal derivative for ANY ICGA tournament it entered .. then the engine author should be banned from all events.. past ..present and future
all titles (starting with the first titled engine declared illegal)should be revoked and any prize money clawed back
declaring Rybka 2007 illegal and then allowing Rybka 2010(for example) to retain the world title sends the wrong message to the larger CC community that is watching these proceedings very closely(see thread about mainstream media )
ICGA needs to send a strong and clear message to any future aspiring engine authors that this sort of nonsense will not be tolerated and to the world at large that it can police its own events
ANY Engine author caught entering illegal programs in ICGA events .. forever forfeits the right of participation in future ICGA events
the CC community and ICGA should reward hard working engine authors who try to create something original and not those who play it loose and easy
an example needs to be set in this egregious case
YMMV
Hammer Of Justice Regards
Steve

If he is found “guilty” by the ICGA, an organisation without legal jurisdiction, the first thing that needs to be done is to look for mitigating circumstances. If he is guilty by ICGA standards, then they may well take the view that almost all, if not all, of his actions subsequent to the release of Rybka 1 have made matters worse. He could, of course obtain ”Brownie points” by giving his full cooperation to the ICGA but he would need to be incredibly stupid to do that...........................
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

any chance the mods can remove Evans post?
the size of the cartoon makes any subsequent posts unreadable

Thanks
Steve
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Steve B wrote:any chance the mods can remove Evans post?

Thanks
Steve
I've asked as well...it's ruining the thread as it's huge!

scrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscroll
Terry McCracken
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Terry McCracken wrote:

Thanks
Steve
I've asked as well...it's ruining the thread as it's huge!

scrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscrollscroll
Me thinks we know the intent lol

“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
bob

Post by bob »

Thanks
Steve
I can not find a way to remove just the one post, nor edit it to delete the link. Any pointers???
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

click on the Evans post using thread view
as a mod you will have an option in the upper right corner to DELETE the post..same spot where you would normally click to reply to a post..look for a box with an X

Steve
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

bob wrote:

Thanks
Steve
I can not find a way to remove just the one post, nor edit it to delete the link. Any pointers???
Viewers can right-click on the image; there should be a popup menu allowing the image to be blocked by your browser.
Matthew Hull
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Steve B wrote:click on the Evans post using thread view
as a mod you will have an option in the upper right corner to DELETE the post..same spot where you would normally click to reply to a post..look for a box with an X

Steve

Hello Steve,

Is it better now?

Later.