The silence of Robert Houdart

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Don

Re: The silence of Robert Houdart

Post by Don »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
I don't believe that Houdart has no original ideas. In fact I think it's clear that he does have good ideas.
I don't Don. I think he knows nothing about anything. There has been nothing technical from him ever. Not once.....ever.

I don't even think he compiles it......there you go and now you know what I think.
Who compiles his code?

I'm pretty sure he is the front for something made by someone else. I'd stake good money on it in fact.

:)

FWIW
Do you have some evidence of that? I mean I agree with you in principle, but you are taking it to another level. So you are saying that you have reason to believe that he is not even the guy working on Houdini?

If that is true, it takes this grift to a new level.

But I don't see any evidence that this is the case (although I have no way of knowing.) I think he is just a random half way decent engineer who grabbed the sources of Ivanhoe, put his name on it and thus started his computer chess career at the very top without writing a single line of code, but then worked from there.

Chris
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

I don't believe that Houdart has no original ideas. In fact I think it's clear that he does have good ideas.
I don't Don. I think he knows nothing about anything. There has been nothing technical from him ever. Not once.....ever.

I don't even think he compiles it......there you go and now you know what I think. I'm pretty sure he is the front for something made by someone else. I'd stake good money on it in fact.

FWIW

Chris
RH plugged the probing code to Gaviota tablebases to Houdini. We can argue how difficult/easy that may be, but the fact is he found a bug in the probing code (which I fixed and thank him for it).
http://sites.google.com/site/gaviotache ... e/releases

That requires a certain level of skill that goes beyond what you imply. What I am trying to say is that this qualifies as a technical contribution so I do not think your perception is correct. I am not defending him or attacking him, but trying to make sure that all facts are taking into account.

Miguel
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

michiguel wrote:

I don't even think he compiles it......there you go and now you know what I think. I'm pretty sure he is the front for something made by someone else. I'd stake good money on it in fact.

FWIW

Chris
RH plugged the probing code to Gaviota tablebases to Houdini. We can argue how difficult/easy that may be, but the fact is he found a bug in the probing code (which I fixed and thank him for it).

That requires a certain level of skill that goes beyond what you imply. What I am trying to say is that this qualifies as a technical contribution so I do not think your perception is correct. I am not defending him or attacking him, but trying to make sure that all facts are taking into account.

Miguel
I am pretty sure that Mr. Conkie was being sarcastic.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Dann Corbit wrote:
michiguel wrote:

FWIW

Chris

Miguel
I am pretty sure that Mr. Conkie was being sarcastic.
Slightly Mr. Corbit....ever so slightly.

Christopher Conkie

Milos wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:I am pretty sure that Mr. Conkie was being sarcastic.
Mr. Conkie cannot differ head from butt even when he's sober. Your upper statement on the other hand is sarcastic...
Ahhh acerbic Milos. King of the trolls. Shouldn't you be bucket raking?
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Carlos Ylich wrote:Thanks Robert!
I do not mean to offend, just wondering if you have resisted temptation.
Thanks for your great work on behalf of dem who likes chess. :P
Carlos,

Thank you for your kind words.
As to the reason for my relative silence on this forum, you have to look no further than this thread... apparently the slightest topic about Houdini or myself on this forum generates a level of nonsense that is beyond redemption :lol:.

All the best,
Robert
Christopher Conkie

Houdini wrote:
Carlos,

As to the reason for my relative silence on this forum, you have to look no further than this thread... apparently the slightest topic about Houdini or myself on this forum generates a level of nonsense that is beyond redemption :lol:.

All the best,
Robert
Seeking to forget makes exile all the longer; the secret of redemption lies in remembrance. (Richard von Weizsaecker)
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Houdini wrote:
Carlos,

All the best,
Robert
Don't worry about those posters that try to bring you down, they are in the minority, even though they repeat there assumptions and theories many times.Out of the 100's of members of this forum that appreciate your work there are probably a vocal 10 that like to post cheap pot shots and spam this forum with nonsense.
Matt Weaver

Post by Matt Weaver »

Regarding "level of nonsense that is beyond redemption":

it seems that it all boils down to 2 questions for which different parties obviously have different answers:
1) is "re-writing code" in this way actually "copying code" or it's not?
2) is similarity of Houdini's output to Robbo's output explainable by something else than copying code or there is no other explanation?

Some quotations from the past (from OpenChess) and a random screenshot:

Here is a direct and easy question for you: Did you write Houdini from scratch, i.e. is it all your own code?
—Sean Evans

To answer your direct and easy question with a direct and easy answer, Houdini is all my development, and I've always given due credit in the
readme file, on the web site, and in the various forums.
—Robert Houdart

Robert you certainly did a fine job with Houdini..It is very strong and is beating Rybka 4 on my machine - What I don't understand is why not make the simple statement: I took the ippolit sources, studied them, and made changes to produce what we have now.
Is there anything wrong with saying that? Isn't that a bit more honest? Are you claiming that there is absolutely no identical code between ippolit
and houdini, and/or that houdini is not derived from ippolit at all?
—Charles

Because the simple fact is that this is not an accurate description of how Houdini was created.
—Robert Houdart

Robert Houdart said "...Houdini is all my development...". There should not be any doubt about the usual interpretation of the statement - that it is an original work written from scratch without any cut-and-paste from any illegitimate sources (here usually mean Ipp*).
It is not unusual that a person write an "original" program with the strength of Houdini - there is nothing more really original after the Ippo* codes was released . Just as Osipov Yuri rewrote Fruit in bitboard, a person also could "rewrite" Ippo* cloning most of search and evaluation to start with. Such a program is, in some consideration, completely original. If I were to write a commercial chess engine for money, this is how I would start.
—Chan Rasjid

Is this you statement then:
"Houdini is all my development, and I've always given due credit in the readme file, on the web site, and in the various forums. ?"
Because that implies to me that you designed Houdini from the ground up, and only absorbing ideas from ippolit and others.
That would also imply that there is no (or very little) identical code ...
Would you agree with my above conclusions from your earlier statement?
—Charles

Exact, I have never claimed otherwise. [...] Also Rasjid's previous post is quite accurate.
—Robert Houdart

Even a non-programmer like myself can see that it's a modified Robolito chess engine....I mean you must be a plain idiot to refuse to see the truth....
—Dr.Wael Deeb

tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Matt Weaver wrote:Regarding "level of nonsense that is beyond redemption":

it seems that it all boils down to 2 questions for which different parties obviously have different answers:
1) is "re-writing code" in this way actually "copying code" or it's not?
2) is similarity of Houdini's output to Robbo's output explainable by something else than copying code or there is no other explanation?

Some quotations from the past (from OpenChess) and a random screenshot:

Here is a direct and easy question for you: Did you write Houdini from scratch, i.e. is it all your own code?
—Sean Evans

To answer your direct and easy question with a direct and easy answer, Houdini is all my development, and I've always given due credit in the
readme file, on the web site, and in the various forums.
—Robert Houdart

Robert you certainly did a fine job with Houdini..It is very strong and is beating Rybka 4 on my machine - What I don't understand is why not make the simple statement: I took the ippolit sources, studied them, and made changes to produce what we have now.
Is there anything wrong with saying that? Isn't that a bit more honest? Are you claiming that there is absolutely no identical code between ippolit
and houdini, and/or that houdini is not derived from ippolit at all?
—Charles

Because the simple fact is that this is not an accurate description of how Houdini was created.
—Robert Houdart

Robert Houdart said "...Houdini is all my development...". There should not be any doubt about the usual interpretation of the statement - that it is an original work written from scratch without any cut-and-paste from any illegitimate sources (here usually mean Ipp*).
It is not unusual that a person write an "original" program with the strength of Houdini - there is nothing more really original after the Ippo* codes was released . Just as Osipov Yuri rewrote Fruit in bitboard, a person also could "rewrite" Ippo* cloning most of search and evaluation to start with. Such a program is, in some consideration, completely original. If I were to write a commercial chess engine for money, this is how I would start.
—Chan Rasjid

Is this you statement then:
"Houdini is all my development, and I've always given due credit in the readme file, on the web site, and in the various forums. ?"
Because that implies to me that you designed Houdini from the ground up, and only absorbing ideas from ippolit and others.
That would also imply that there is no (or very little) identical code ...
Would you agree with my above conclusions from your earlier statement?
—Charles

Exact, I have never claimed otherwise. [...] Also Rasjid's previous post is quite accurate.
—Robert Houdart

Even a non-programmer like myself can see that it's a modified Robolito chess engine....I mean you must be a plain idiot to refuse to see the truth....
—Dr.Wael Deeb

The Houdini guy never quite answers the questions directly. He always gives himself just a bit of an out.

If he ever answered directly I would believe him.