Critter 1.0 available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

alpha123

Re: Critter 1.0 available

Post by alpha123 »

Don wrote: Is there any way to get a linux 64 bit version? There are Pascal compilers for Linux, probably the same one you are using.
AFAIK Critter has been written in C++ since version 0.52.

Peter
Don

Post by Don »

alpha123 wrote:
Don wrote: Is there any way to get a linux 64 bit version? There are Pascal compilers for Linux, probably the same one you are using.
AFAIK Critter has been written in C++ since version 0.52.

Peter
Maybe I'm thinking of a different program then. But this should make it even simpler to provide a 64 bit version.

I hope Richard is willing to provide a 64 bit version of Critter. It would make a lot of Linux users happy!

Don
brinan
Full name: bri nan

Re Critter 1.0 available

Post by brinan »

Will update my Ladder.

Your work is much appreciated.

Regards.
Click on www button for all event details and games.
News can be received automatically by subscribing to my RSS feed (click on icon near top).
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

rvida wrote:Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?2v80239zxj82yud

Book support

In addition to its own .cbk book format, Critter can now read Polyglot .bin books too. Just set the "Book File" UCI option to point to a *.bin file. Book creation from pgn file ('makebook' and 'mergebook' console commands) works only with native format.

Repetition detection

Critter now scores 2-fold repetition as draw. See this thread on rybka forum.

Enjoy

Richard
Congratulations Richard !!!

It is amazing how quickly you are able to climb on the ELO stair. I know very well how much effort it takes to get another 20-30 ELO when you reach certain levels and this is why your results greatly impress me.

...next station is Rybka 4 :-)

BTW only less than 2 years ago Rybka 3 was the undisputed king, well ahead of competitors and considered unreachable. Now we have at least four free engines stronger than R3. This is impressive !!!
rvida

Post by rvida »

Don wrote: Is there any way to get a linux 64 bit version?
I would be very happy to provide a linux build, I see there are a lot of people who would appreciate it, but I'm afraid it could take quite some time...

Not long ago I was able to compile my sources with gcc/linux, but something went wrong with my SMP code and the binary always crashed with more than 1 thread.

I made a quick test with GCC + Critter 1.0 and apart of some warnings it did compile without errors, but it does crash with the first 'go' command (even single-threaded)

Now here is my plan:
1 - make it compile with GCC under Windows [done]
2 - get rid of any warnings even with -Wall
3 - make the GCC-compiled binary work as intended (same node count in start position with 1 thread)
4 - boot into Ubuntu / compile with gcc / learn how to use gdb
5 - find out what's wrong with the SMP code

If everything fails, I will consider sending my sources to someone with more experience with linux+gcc for advice and/or a working binary...

Richard
UncombedCoconut

Post by UncombedCoconut »

It may also be worth checking whether the problems persist under GCC for Windows (without Cygwin) with -O0. GCC has been known to optimize aggressively based on technicalities in the C/C++ standards. The latest versions have improved in some respects.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

rvida wrote: Not long ago I was able to compile my sources with gcc/linux, but something went wrong with my SMP code and the binary always crashed with more than 1 thread.
If you use CRITICAL_SECTION, then be warned that locking semantic is different with pthreads that are more similar to Windows's SRWLOCK (see SF's lock.h file).
Don

Post by Don »

rvida wrote:
I would be very happy to provide a linux build, I see there are a lot of people who would appreciate it, but I'm afraid it could take quite some time...
That would be great. I would be happy with a single processor version.

Not long ago I was able to compile my sources with gcc/linux, but something went wrong with my SMP code and the binary always crashed with more than 1 thread.

I made a quick test with GCC + Critter 1.0 and apart of some warnings it did compile without errors, but it does crash with the first 'go' command (even single-threaded)

Now here is my plan:
3 - make the GCC-compiled binary work as intended (same node count in start position with 1 thread)

If everything fails, I will consider sending my sources to someone with more experience with linux+gcc for advice and/or a working binary...
possibly Jim Ablett might be able to make it work.

Richard
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Great work Richard! It has almost reached Stockfish level - in 100 games with dual Critter lost 49,5-50,5 against SF2 :) But more importantly it has not lost stunning tactics/analysis speed of Critter 0.90. After about 2000 testpositions I dare to say Critter 1 is better/faster than 0.90. Even better than Houdini in same suites.

Jouni
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

rvida wrote:

Now here is my plan:

Richard
I am impressed and it is looking very good. I still hope you'll consider the option for an aggressive (a la 0.90) version or on/off parameter in the UCI settings.

It might cost it some Elo when activated, but would make watching the games that much more fun. :-)

BTW, I have passed on your new engine to a few GMs.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."