Taming the Tiger :-)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Mike S.

Taming the Tiger :-)

Post by Mike S. »

I made a draw against Palm Tiger 2010. :mrgreen:

The settings were Gambit aggressive / Anti-human, 40 moves in 10 minutes. Draw score -20. Palm Tiger was running in a simulator which gives a Tigermark of ~1.50...1.60 which I think represents a Palm speed of ~60 MHz (only). Nevertheleless we see that Tiger achieved 9 plies in the end. Normally, a superior opponent far beyond my abilities!

We played a Caro-Kann, but I chose 4.Nf3 instead of the more usual 4.Bd3. Tiger felt so bad, that he agreed to an early repetition despite the draw factor being -0.20 pawns. I am celebrating.

Thanks again for this free program.
Regards, Mike
tiger

Re: Taming the Tiger :-)

Post by tiger »

Mike S. wrote:I made a draw against Palm Tiger 2010. :mrgreen:

The settings were Gambit aggressive / Anti-human, 40 moves in 10 minutes. Draw score -20. Palm Tiger was running in a simulator which gives a Tigermark of ~1.50...1.60 which I think represents a Palm speed of ~60 MHz (only). Nevertheleless we see that Tiger achieved 9 plies in the end. Normally, a superior opponent far beyond my abilities!

We played a Caro-Kann, but I chose 4.Nf3 instead of the more usual 4.Bd3. Tiger felt so bad, that he agreed to an early repetition despite the draw factor being -0.20 pawns. I am celebrating.

Thanks again for this free program.

This is the new trend in computer chess. People actually start enjoying playing against a program that is not going to slaughter them game after game.

I enjoy watching this much more than watching copy/paste artists breaking the 3300 or whatever-elo barrier.

// Christophe
fern

Post by fern »

Do you mean, dear christophe, that some routine is inserted in this Tiger in order to give some chances to the human side?
Say, offer a draw or accept it somewhat more easily than in a beast kind of engine?

Fern
tiger

Post by tiger »

fern wrote:Do you mean, dear christophe, that some routine is inserted in this Tiger in order to give some chances to the human side?
Say, offer a draw or accept it somewhat more easily than in a beast kind of engine?

Fern

Chess Tiger for iOS has 28 trainer levels ranging from 100 FIDE elo (totally random play) to 2100 FIDE elo. You can also set the level in USCF elo.

These levels (except for the two lowest) are exactly 50 elo points apart.

I have calibrated these levels on MILLIONS of games so I can guarantee that any trainer level is 50 elo points above the previous one and 50 elo points below the previous one.

It does not take long, starting at the bottom of the scale, to play a few quick games and walk the list until you find a trainer level that is close to your own strength.

At this point the fun begins.

50 elo points is small enough that you will generally be able to make progress or adapt yourself to the engine style and after a while you will be able to start fighting with the next level.

Also, the built-in human detector will activate automatically the antihuman mode. So Pablo's evil techniques will not work againt Chess Tiger for iOS.

// Christophe
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

tiger wrote:
fern wrote:Do you mean, dear christophe, that some routine is inserted in this Tiger in order to give some chances to the human side?

Fern

Chess Tiger for iOS has 28 trainer levels ranging from 100 FIDE elo (totally random play) to 2100 FIDE elo. You can also set the level in USCF elo.

I have calibrated these levels on MILLIONS of games so I can guarantee that any trainer level is 50 elo points above the previous one and 50 elo points below the previous one.

It does not take long, starting at the bottom of the scale, to play a few quick games and walk the list until you find a trainer level that is close to your own strength.

50 elo points is small enough that you will generally be able to make progress or adapt yourself to the engine style and after a while you will be able to start fighting with the next level.

Also, the built-in human detector will activate automatically the antihuman mode. So Pablo's evil techniques will not work againt Chess Tiger for iOS.

// Christophe

Fascinating! Yet not yet proven. hmmmmmmmm.........
fern

Post by fern »

Mmm, I suppose I was left behind. My version for palm is 2010, no selectable players....
I wonder If I can get an update OVER this game ...

Fern
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Maybe Christophe could make an "Anti Engine" setting, that is the opposite of Anti Human and tries to close the position as quickly as possible and then starts making moves very quickly, to try to gain more time on the clock. Maybe this could even defeat all those Super Najdorf books and super hardware on Playchess, just like Pablo does it! I think this must appeal to Christophe's sense of justice :)

Minimal hardware for new tigre:

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
tiger

Post by tiger »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Maybe Christophe could make an "Anti Engine" setting, that is the opposite of Anti Human and tries to close the position as quickly as possible and then starts making moves very quickly, to try to gain more time on the clock. Maybe this could even defeat all those Super Najdorf books and super hardware on Playchess, just like Pablo does it! I think this must appeal to Christophe's sense of justice :)

Minimal hardware for new tigre:

Eelco

Even now, Chess Tiger does not try to repeat won book lines as some other engines do. It just tries to avoid repeating losing lines.

I prefer to use defensive weapons than offensive ones. The antihuman stuff is only a defense.

// Christophe
tiger

Post by tiger »

Nimzovik wrote:
tiger wrote:

Fern

// Christophe

Fascinating! Yet not yet proven. hmmmmmmmm.........

Are you new here?

Chess Tiger is the only program Pablo has never been able to defeat with his tricks.

It has been proven... Years ago. I think it was circa 2003.

// Christophe
tiger

Post by tiger »

fern wrote:Mmm, I suppose I was left behind. My version for palm is 2010, no selectable players....
I wonder If I can get an update OVER this game ...

Fern

The PalmOS version is totally different.

So no you cannot update from Chess Tiger for PalmOS to Chess Tiger for iOS. But you can purchase it, at this time it is ridiculously cheap.

But you told me you don't need/want any iOS gadget anyway...

// Christophe