GM Alexander Shabalov comments on Rybka 4 and Houdini.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mwyoung

GM Alexander Shabalov comments on Rybka 4 and Houdini.

Post by mwyoung »

GM Alexander Shabalov comments on Rybka 4 and Houdini on Chessbase Site. Comments start at 12mins. and 20 sec. on video.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7168
Albert Silver

Re: GM Alexander Shabalov comments on Rybka 4 and Houdini.

Post by Albert Silver »

mwyoung wrote:GM Alexander Shabalov comments on Rybka 4 and Houdini on Chessbase Site. Comments start at 12mins. and 20 sec. on video.

The question reads like a plant. Instead of simply asking what engines he uses to prepare, after which he might simply give his opinion relative to Rybka, she asks whether there is anything stronger than Rybka.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Albert Silver wrote:
mwyoung wrote:GM Alexander Shabalov comments on Rybka 4 and Houdini on Chessbase Site. Comments start at 12mins. and 20 sec. on video.

The question reads like a plant. Instead of simply asking what engines he uses to prepare, after which he might simply give his opinion relative to Rybka, she asks whether there is anything stronger than Rybka.
I agree. The whole thing seemed staged, even to the point of Sam saying he still uses Rybka and the GM Ashley saying "maybe that is why you lost.."
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Guess what! Houdini 2.0 will be released as a the next CB engine in 2011 ready for Xmas!! Just Watch :shock:
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Sean Evans wrote:Guess what! Houdini 2.0 will be released as a the next CB engine in 2011 ready for Xmas!! Just Watch :shock:
:roll:
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Sean Evans wrote:Guess what! Houdini 2.0 will be released as a the next CB engine in 2011 ready for Xmas!! Just Watch :shock:
I share the same feeling that the next Houdini will go commercial even though I won't speculate about the release date....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
bob

Post by bob »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
I share the same feeling that the next Houdini will go commercial even though I won't speculate about the release date....
Dr.D
I think in light of recent revelations about Houdini, no company is going to be willing to sell it and take the risk of a major copyright infringement law suit. It is a direct derivative of Robo* and friends.
jmartus

Post by jmartus »

I hope that is the case i dont want to pay for a chessbase engine
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

tomgdrums wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

I agree. The whole thing seemed staged, even to the point of Sam saying he still uses Rybka and the GM Ashley saying "maybe that is why you lost.."
Pathetic. An example of what not to say as a journalist. Shankland said nothing (he must be a gentleman).

It was kind of funny when Shabalov said at the end that one of the important things was to "remember all this stuff".

Miguel
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

michiguel wrote:Pathetic. An example of what not to say as a journalist.
They were just joking of course. These GMs won't take any computer chess stuff very serious. But they pay much more attention than many years ago obviously, which is a pleasure to see for the computer chess fan.
Regards, Mike