How strong is the new Fire 1.5 xTreme?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

David Dahlem

Re: How strong is the new Fire 1.5 xTreme?

Post by David Dahlem »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
NJDenson wrote:With the right settings its the strongest program thats out to date.
Correct and I happen to have them....I hope....
I just need more testing....

When it beats my top FireBird 1.1 personality,I will post the settings....
Dr.D
Hi Dr. D

I'm also testing settings, searching for the magic parameters. I have several settings that, so far, are playing equal to Houdini 1.5. Not enough games yet to be significant. I would love to test your settings too. If you are not ready to post them here, could you send to davedahlem "@" gmail.com?

Regards Dave
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

So far, i've only tried tuning eval weights and piece values. Even so, this can result in huge strength improvement. These settings are my best at this time, playing equal to Houdini 1.5. If any one would like to try them ---

Fire 1.5 Ultra
-----------------
King_Safety_Weight 107
Mobility_Weight 105
Pawn_Value 100
Knight_Value 313
Bishop_Value 320
Rook_Value 512
Queen_Value 967

I'm continuing to test other parameters, trying to find the #1 engine.
NJDenson

Post by NJDenson »

If you have a problem of a difficult move post and i will let my best settings fire go at it and compair evals.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

David Dahlem wrote:So far, i've only tried tuning eval weights and piece values. Even so, this can result in huge strength improvement. These settings are my best at this time, playing equal to Houdini 1.5. If any one would like to try them ---

Fire 1.5 Ultra
-----------------
King_Safety_Weight 107
Mobility_Weight 105
Pawn_Value 100
Knight_Value 313
Bishop_Value 320
Rook_Value 512
Queen_Value 967

I'm continuing to test other parameters, trying to find the #1 engine.
Hi David,
I've pm'ed you the parameters of Fire 1.5 xTreme Scylla

It's extremely strong after playing +200 games at long time controls beating Houdini 1.03a and playing at the level of Houdini 1.5 +-5 Elo....

I've changed all the pieces values using the formula applies on a personality of FireBird 1.1 which still tops my rating list even ahead of Houdini 1.5....

I'm running a mamooth tournament engaging 132 engines each playing 4 games against all the other engines running on two overclocked i7 systems 24/7 with a total of 30054 games :!:

See,the thing is,most of the super top engines are tunned against each other,but when they play in a RR tournament facing a big number of various opponents,you'll be surprised how they'll perform....

Head to head matches are simply too wrong to be established as a standard utility to measure a chess engine's strength....sure they shed some light,but the truth is left far far behind....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Gino Figlio

Post by Gino Figlio »

Why not posting the parameters? The number of testers will increase and the results will be more reliable...
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Hi David,
Dr.D
Thank you very much. I'll start testing Fire 1.5 xTreme Scylla right away. If it does better than mine, it is very strong indeed! :lol:

Hopefully we can inspire other users to create strong settings and make them available by posting them here. I also think, with the right settings, this engine is #1.

Regards Dave
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Gino Figlio wrote:Why not posting the parameters? The number of testers will increase and the results will be more reliable...
It's not that I don't want to release them....Eventually I will when I have solid results related to the performance....

Besides,from a personal experience,when you post a special set of parameters in a rush,most of the testers don't take them too serious....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
fern

Post by fern »

Yo are entitled to name anything.
Fern, moderator
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

David Dahlem wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Hi David,
Dr.D
Thank you very much. I'll start testing Fire 1.5 xTreme Scylla right away. If it does better than mine, it is very strong indeed! :lol:

Hopefully we can inspire other users to create strong settings and make them available by posting them here. I also think, with the right settings, this engine is #1.

Regards Dave
You welcome David :D

As you noticed,I've changed all the pieces values using a well tested formula plus changing the king's safety parameter,the mobility and the positional weights....

By the way,I have the strongest Toga personality based on Toga 1.4 Beta 5c and it's the strongest Toga in my rating list....I will post it's parameters when I'm ready to do so....
Dr.D
Gino Figlio

Post by Gino Figlio »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Gino Figlio wrote:Why not posting the parameters? The number of testers will increase and the results will be more reliable...
It's not that I don't want to release them....Eventually I will when I have solid results related to the performance....

Besides,from a personal experience,when you post a special set of parameters in a rush,most of the testers don't take them too serious....
Dr.D
It will be hard to collect enough LTC games if it's only you doing the testing but of course it's your right because you came up with the settings.
Some testers will get discouraged by preliminary settings released "in a rush" but no tester will be able to help if you choose a late release.
God luck and keep us posted, I think Fire is getting stronger from the game analysis perspective which is very subjective of course.