Solving Chess

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

DustinYoder

Solving Chess

Post by DustinYoder »

I know all the impossibilities about solving chess. Please, I'm more interested in finding someone with expertise that could help me refine or disprove a theory on how to build a computer that could solve chess. I have considered most of the limitations and I think I may have some serious ways to overcome them. I fully believe this could be possible. Anyone interested working it out with me. I have what I feel are several breakthrough ideas to reduce the problem down to something manageable.
FlavusSnow

Re: Solving Chess

Post by FlavusSnow »

What do you mean by "expertise"?
DustinYoder

Post by DustinYoder »

Chess programming skills also maybe math skills. Maybe someone that has taken a seious stab at trying to solve chess
gerold

Post by gerold »

DustinYoder wrote:Chess programming skills also maybe math skills. Maybe someone that has taken a seious stab at trying to solve chess
With the current hardware,soft,computers, There is no way to solve chess at this time.

Good luck,
Gerold.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

DustinYoder wrote:Chess programming skills also maybe math skills. Maybe someone that has taken a seious stab at trying to solve chess
Well, I can see only one person in the world able to handle such a great undertaking:

http://youtu.be/eoe5nehiaq4

That's your best shot. ;)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Mark

Post by Mark »

DustinYoder wrote:I know all the impossibilities about solving chess. Please, I'm more interested in finding someone with expertise that could help me refine or disprove a theory on how to build a computer that could solve chess. I have considered most of the limitations and I think I may have some serious ways to overcome them. I fully believe this could be possible. Anyone interested working it out with me. I have what I feel are several breakthrough ideas to reduce the problem down to something manageable.
Well, I wrote an engine that, with a few minor changes, can theoretically solve chess. I just have to increase the maximum ply to about 10,000 or so and let it run... :D
Kirill Kryukov

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

DustinYoder wrote:I know all the impossibilities about solving chess. Please, I'm more interested in finding someone with expertise that could help me refine or disprove a theory on how to build a computer that could solve chess. I have considered most of the limitations and I think I may have some serious ways to overcome them. I fully believe this could be possible. Anyone interested working it out with me. I have what I feel are several breakthrough ideas to reduce the problem down to something manageable.
Hi Dustin,

I've been toying small board chess, solving 3x3 and 3x4 boards. 4x4 is currently underway, but will take years with my current technique. If your idea can be applied on 4x4 board, then I am curious.

I'm extremely sceptical to the claims like making "solving chess" manageable. However if your ideas can help even a little (like making full 7-piece solution appear sooner), then it would still be very valuable.

Best,
Kirill
DustinYoder

Post by DustinYoder »

Well yes I'm sure it could be applied to 4x4. How are you currently solving this? Are you building a database of moves? Do you store board positions?
Kirill Kryukov

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

DustinYoder wrote:Well yes I'm sure it could be applied to 4x4.
Great!
DustinYoder wrote:How are you currently solving this? Are you building a database of moves? Do you store board positions?
I use pretty standard approach, which means storing the metric (like distance to mate) for each position, but never storing positions or moves.
DustinYoder

Post by DustinYoder »

What is your database? Mysql, or is there a common type used in chess progams? Do you use a hash to look up the correct board position?