The Importance to Be Well named

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

The Importance to Be Well named

Post by fern »

I have wrote a couple of posts about Glass, whoich impressed me very much, at least the agressive version available with the engine, with others.
Now, maybe due to my profession, I give lot of care to words. Words are lot more than signals. They are loaded with meanings and change or shape the attitude towards things.
I say this because Glass name is not good for Glass, IMHO.
Glass talks of fragile things and gives nothing about the nature of the program. For an engine capable of various available personalities and some of them very strong, I suggest a more adequate name.
Which one?
I do not know, but surely are thousands better than the anodine, effete Glass. As much the engine has many heads, Hydra could be the trick but is already used, as we know.
Anyway, a thought should be given to this.

Fern
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: The Importance to Be Well named

Post by hgm »

Glass is harder than steel, did you know that?
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

fern wrote:I have wrote a couple of posts about Glass, whoich impressed me very much, at least the agressive version available with the engine, with others.
Now, maybe due to my profession, I give lot of care to words. Words are lot more than signals. They are loaded with meanings and change or shape the attitude towards things.
Glass talks of fragile things and gives nothing about the nature of the program. For an engine capable of various available personalities and some of them very strong, I suggest a more adequate name.
Which one?
I do not know, but surely are thousands better than the anodine, effete Glass. As much the engine has many heads, Hydra could be the trick but is already used, as we know.

Fern
Prism.
Matthew Hull
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:Glass is harder than steel, did you know that?
Unfortunately, way more brittle too. however, I have a ceramic-blade knife that is incredibly impressive in its ability to retain an edge, just don't use it to pry. :)
fern

Post by fern »

No, I did not know, but that is not the point. Names are not just to impress chemistry knowledgable people. Or metalurgists. You can also say that Uranium is harder or heavier that steel and so wehat...
Man, we have so many pretty names in just greek mithology to begin with....
Or even in german one....

Fern
fern

Post by fern »

That's good!!!

Besides, a prism is in the feeling of people a solid piece of crystal, hard....
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

fern wrote:I have wrote a couple of posts about Glass, whoich impressed me very much, at least the agressive version available with the engine, with others.
Which one?

Fern
Kaleidos

Miguel
fern

Post by fern »

Buen nombre tambien, mucho mejor que Glass. Oye, ¿qué hay del asunto ese entre nosotros? ¿Funciona o aun no le metes diente?
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

mhull wrote:
Which one?

Fern
Prism.
If the name should be changed, then per the above:

+1
David S.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

fern wrote:Buen nombre tambien, mucho mejor que Glass. Oye, ¿qué hay del asunto ese entre nosotros? ¿Funciona o aun no le metes diente?
Hoy termino el torneo de ACCA, y los preparativos me consumio mi escaso tiempo libre. Ahora seguimos con ese tema.

Miguel