The Importance to Be Well named

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Re: The Importance to Be Well named

Post by fern »

Me lo imaginaba. Que te vaya bien en eso.
Lo de los dialogos que hablamos es solo una fraccion infinitesimal de las ideas para un programa que he querido desarrollar por años, pero hasta ahora nadie me ha dado bola. Todos me hablan de lo mismo: muy dificil, tiempo escaso, etc. Les interesa mas la cabrona y ciestion del Elo.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Personally, I wouldn't want a whole bunch of engine authors changing the name of their engines. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
fern

Post by fern »

There are in fact a goo lot of paltry names of engines, but I am not asking nothing to a bunch of programmers, just making a comment a propos Glass.

Programmers are not strong in the field of verb regards
Fern
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

fern wrote:I say this because Glass name is not good for Glass, IMHO.
I don't know, I kind of like Glass. Glass is a good, strong material. Anyway, it is not the worst name - it has to be better that Dorky, for instance.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dirt wrote:
fern wrote:I say this because Glass name is not good for Glass, IMHO.
I don't know, I kind of like Glass. Glass is a good, strong material. Anyway, it is not the worst name - it has to be better that Dorky, for instance.
Programmers give their engines names that they like, just as book authors would probably prefer to choose the titles of their books.
I like Glass too. 8-)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Glassis a good name, and changing names is a bad habit in the first place.
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

fern wrote:That's good!!!

Besides, a prism is in the feeling of people a solid piece of crystal, hard....
A dangerous piece of glass would be a Shard (or Sherd).
Matthew Hull
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

fern wrote:There are in fact a goo lot of paltry names of engines, but I am not asking nothing to a bunch of programmers, just making a comment a propos Glass.

Fern
It is a long-held tradition among Anglo-Saxion engineers to intentionally pick 'bad' names for their projects. Think Unix, Plan 9, fsck, C++, Linux, Skunk Works just to name a few obvious examples. Who cares. At least it is not a child who has to live with it. Mind that a lot of 'artsy' people have no problems at all giving their children non-traditional names because it is 'so original' to come up with one-off names (there is such a deep irony in that).

Names from ancient greek mithology [sic] are nice if you live in the 19th century and converse in Greek and Latin with your Professor of Philosophy, but they are a bit stale by now. Nothing more boring than a match with Zeus 1.5a, Caissa 23.4 or Olympus 2.3.2a in my opinion.

'Glass' not only represents purity, smoothness and clarity but it is also arguably one of the most important technologies that propelled the western world ahead in the development of chemistry, micro-biology and astronomy. Glass has so many facets, that makes it quite suitable for a multi-personality program.

Marcel

P.S. I would agree that 'Rookie' is a poor name and should be changed (but it won't).

P.S.2: On request translations are available in Ancient Greek, Latin, French, German, Dutch, Mandarin, C, Pascal, Assembly, Java, LISP and Python.
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

Fernando , What is the name of your original chess engine ? karger
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

marcelk wrote:
fern wrote:There are in fact a goo lot of paltry names of engines, but I am not asking nothing to a bunch of programmers, just making a comment a propos Glass.

Fern
It is a long-held tradition among Anglo-Saxion engineers to intentionally pick 'bad' names for their projects.
Precisely, an "engineer" would not be the best person to ask anything related to good taste.:-)

Think Unix, Plan 9, fsck, C++, Linux, Skunk Works just to name a few obvious examples. Who cares.
Names are important. People who give names to projects that see the street, generally try to come up with names are are easy to pronounce, easy to remember, somehow unique, catchy, etc. Language is a very powerful tool, and it is made of words, which help to carry a concept. Most successful discoveries in science many times relate a word to a concept, and that is how the concept is easily spread.
At least it is not a child who has to live with it. Mind that a lot of 'artsy' people have no problems at all giving their children non-traditional names because it is 'so original' to come up with one-off names (there is such a deep irony in that).

Names from ancient greek mithology [sic] are nice if you live in the 19th century and converse in Greek and Latin with your Professor of Philosophy, but they are a bit stale by now.
Certain things from our civilization are timeless.

Nothing more boring than a match with Zeus 1.5a, Caissa 23.4 or Olympus 2.3.2a in my opinion.
They are boring because they are obvious, not because they are greek.

'Glass' not only represents purity, smoothness and clarity but it is also arguably one of the most important technologies that propelled the western world ahead in the development of chemistry, micro-biology and astronomy. Glass has so many facets, that makes it quite suitable for a multi-personality program.
Don't tell me you did not see "The Graduate" :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk

Miguel

Marcel

P.S. I would agree that 'Rookie' is a poor name and should be changed (but it won't).

P.S.2: On request translations are available in Ancient Greek, Latin, French, German, Dutch, Mandarin, C, Pascal, Assembly, Java, LISP and Python.