Spark 2.0 Leiden 2011 ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Spark 2.0 Leiden 2011 ?

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Allard,

will be Spark 2.0 Leiden 2011 available free or commercial?
I hope that you will released your next version of Spark.

Spark is a wonderful engine!

Best
Frank
Allard Siemelink

Re: Spark 2.0 Leiden 2011 ?

Post by Allard Siemelink »

Hi Frank,

Since I am currently quite busy with other things, it'll probably
be sometime in December before the next version will be released.
Since I do not expect it to top the ratings lists, it will be freely available.
Best regards,

-Allard
geots

Post by geots »

Congratulations Allard. Very impressive finish.

Best,

George
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Keep up the good work, Allard. Spark is one of the best tactical engines out there, and the best one for mate solving. I hope you kept it that way.
fern

Post by fern »

Hi Allard:
Do you mean that the day you DO reach top five -or something- then you will become commercial?

My best
Fern
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

fern wrote:Hi Allard:
Do you mean that the day you DO reach top five -or something- then you will become commercial?
Fern
Hi Fern!
Do you mean, the day you'd reach top five- or something- you wouldn't (become commercial)?
:)
To be serious: I guess the only way out of computerchess crisis was this one: besides Komodo, Critter, Fire, IvanX, ProDeo and Crafty should become commercial so no one could complain anymore about Rybka and Houdini.
Peter.
fern

Post by fern »

Yes, Peter, my English is not the best, though better than this. I write very fast, sometimes not changing the syntactic rules of Spanish to English before doing it, so I commit mistakes on the run and I know it is so, but this is not a contest of style, so I leave it as much it can be understood.

Maybe some day i will write
like this:

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbeth....
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Ah, Shakespeare and Longfellow!
Dear Fern, as fas as I'm concerned, I like your English and your style quite much.
And then I did not get a joke out of your question without laughing about myself, cause I am the one who would have bought Crafty, IvanX and especially ProDeo for sure, if I would have had to do so, to get them.

I am the poor player, Shakespeare wrote about, I did not know, he knew computerchess already.
The poor player of chess, how can he be responsible to answer the question of the poor programmers, who stole what from whom when first?
It's not my business, so I'd really like to ask the doctors not to ask me, what I'm suffering to sell me the right medicine.

There is no story of more woe, than that of Julia and of her Romeo, except maybe the story of the code, that could not find an author defending its legal rights.
So one more drink to Shakespeare, Chess and Justice!
Peter.
fern

Post by fern »

Shakespeare is my literary hero, together with Cervantes of more or less similar past....well, to a point.
There is, in Sh, at almost every line, something wonderful to amaze any guy with a minimum of understanding.
Those guys, in that golden age, were not too much delicate in this businesses of taking ideas from his colleagues. The point was: who make the best use of the idea.
Faust by Goethe was almost of a piece with some wrote decades ago. Nobody cared.
Of course nobody copied line by line.
Well, all this discussion about clones got me bored to death. I cannot care less even if I am treated as a thief supporting other thieves. Fact is: I do not believe nobody has copied to the last each piece of software here. I bet it is something like one chunk here, an idea there and the main point is still: who makes the best overall thing with all that.
Besides, this is not literature, for God sake. it is just about machines and tools...

My best
Fern
TimoK

Post by TimoK »

Hi Allard,

any news regarding a new Spark version? I'd love to see a new version since Spark is one of my favorites (very aggressive play).

Best regards
Timo