EXchess v6.01

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

dchoman

EXchess v6.01

Post by dchoman »

After a long period of no updates (6 years!), I'd like to announce a new version of my open source chess engine, EXchess.

http://personal.denison.edu/~homand/EXchess.htm

The new version has some playing strength improvements (maybe 100-200 points stronger), a skill setting to allow you to weaken its play for more fun play against humans, and some time control improvements.  

Considering how little time I have to work on this project, an how rarely I update it, I've decided to go with a source code only release.  I also  no longer have the means to produce and test highly optimized executables for a variety of systems.

Enjoy, and Happy New Year!

Dan Homan
Roger Brown

Re: EXchess v6.01

Post by Roger Brown »

dchoman wrote:After a long period of no updates (6 years!), I'd like to announce a new version of my open source chess engine, EXchess.

The new version has some playing strength improvements (maybe 100-200 points stronger), a skill setting to allow you to weaken its play for more fun play against humans, and some time control improvements.  

Considering how little time I have to work on this project, an how rarely I update it, I've decided to go with a source code only release.  I also  no longer have the means to produce and test highly optimized executables for a variety of systems.

Dan Homan

Hello Dan,

Thanks!

Moved the post here as the chances of it being seen and compiled increases with it being here.

Later.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

dchoman wrote:After a long period of no updates (6 years!), I'd like to announce a new version of my open source chess engine, EXchess.

Dan Homan
Thanks, Dan! :D

I always like it when a seemingly dormant engine is brought back to life.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dan Homan
Excellent news. Thanks Dan. :)
Looking forward to some compiles now. :P
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Roger Brown wrote:

Dan Homan

Hello Dan,

Thanks!

Moved the post here as the chances of it being seen and compiled increases with it being here.

Later.
Roger,

I knew that if I had enough patience, you would eventually do something to make my vote for you worthwhile. Thanks for coming through in the eleventh hour.

Just kidding :wink:

Adam
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Congratulations on the release. It compiled smoothly on my 64bit Linux box (not a single error or warning). Will run it through some testing games.
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

Thanks Joshua
As you mention in the readme.txt

$ g++ -o EXchess_console src/EXchess.cc -O2

compiled without problems on ubuntu 11.10 64bits

Regards

E Diaz
dchoman

Post by dchoman »

Thanks! And my thanks to those who have tried it out, it is nice to hear it compiles and works on systems other than my own!
fern

Post by fern »

Can you do it for w7?

Fern
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

Actually the w7 I have installed in my laptop is in the very same state as the day I bought it. I'd have to install the necesary tools to compile it and probably I'd have to mess around for a while.

If in a couple of days nobody else shares a w7 Exchess compilation I can giove it a try.

PS: ah, live is so easy on linux, just a command and you're done! :)