EXchess v6.01

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

dchoman

Re: EXchess v6.01

Post by dchoman »

Let me know if there is something I can fix to make the compile easier. I haven't used the MSVC/Intel compilers in a very long time, so it is possible some stuff that only works on gcc is in there.

- Dan
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

lucasart wrote: Unfortunately, this is what most noobs still think, solely because they've never tried linux. I'm using ubuntu + gnome-shell, and to be honest, it's easier / faster / more reliable than windows... by a long way! and virus / malware free. So it's certainly more appropriate than windows for noobs. the truth is that *change* is what frightens noobs.
if you want to compile for windows, the easiest way is to download mingw on your linux machine an type the same command line you did with g++. anyway, that's how i compile my engine DoubleCheck for Win64.
I fully agree with you regarding linux. And I note your hint about how to compìle windows executables from linux.
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

dchoman wrote:Let me know if there is something I can fix to make the compile easier. I haven't used the MSVC/Intel compilers in a very long time, so it is possible some stuff that only works on gcc is in there.

- Dan

I have recompiled using Mingw with latest Gcc link-time optimizations so it should be pretty fast now.

Windows/Linux/Android 32/64

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/exchess-601-beta-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://cl.ly/Cyoa/exchess-601-beta-ja.zip

Thanks very much for the new Exchess Dan.

Jim.
dchoman

Post by dchoman »

Jim Ablett wrote:
dchoman wrote:Let me know if there is something I can fix to make the compile easier. I haven't used the MSVC/Intel compilers in a very long time, so it is possible some stuff that only works on gcc is in there.

- Dan

I have recompiled using Mingw with latest Gcc link-time optimizations so it should be pretty fast now.

Windows/Linux/Android 32/64

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/exchess-601-beta-ja.zip
Mirror:
http://cl.ly/Cyoa/exchess-601-beta-ja.zip

Thanks very much for the new Exchess Dan.

Jim.
Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for working to make such a variety of compiles available!

I think I found the issue with the speed... I just downloaded the linux version to my netbook, and it looks like it is producing a 'search.log' file when run (32 bit version). This should only happen when DEBUG = 1 in define.h.... this mode is very slow because the search is outputing information to this file at each node. It may be that DEBUG is too general a name for a define and is set by default by the compiler... in a future release, I will rename this to something like DEBUG_SEARCH to avoid any such conflicts.

- Dan
Guerrero

Post by Guerrero »

Hi Daniel, with Winboard X EXchess crash when winboard send "rejected option" because olds winboard no support "feature option".

I did a hack in main.cpp:

else if(!strcmp(response, "option")) {
cin.getline(line, 256);
if(strstr(line, "=") != NULL) {
options = strtok(line,"=");
if(!strcmp(options, " Playing Strength")) {
options = strtok(NULL,"\n");
game.knowledge_scale = atoi(options);
}
}
}

Maybe you might add it.

Thanks by your engine.
tpetzke

Post by tpetzke »

Hi Dan,

I had the pleasure to face the previous EXchess in Olivers Chesswars tournament with my engine iCE.

It gave me and Oliver some trouble because it crashed against iCE but played against other engines. After some analyses of your code it seemed that when winboard sends the name of the opponent engine EXchess might get confused.

The full name of iCE was "iCE 0.2 build 1092" and EXchess seemed to try to build an opening book after it received that engine name and exited with a file not found error.

So just a hint, maybe you want to fix that if the bug is still in there. For the mentioned tournament I provided a special EXchess version of iCE that told its name differently so EXchess survived the initialization.

Thomas...
dchoman

Post by dchoman »

Thanks! I will fix the next version to correctly take the 'rejected option' command from xboard.

- Dan
dchoman

Post by dchoman »

tpetzke wrote:Hi Dan,

I had the pleasure to face the previous EXchess in Olivers Chesswars tournament with my engine iCE.

It gave me and Oliver some trouble because it crashed against iCE but played against other engines. After some analyses of your code it seemed that when winboard sends the name of the opponent engine EXchess might get confused.

The full name of iCE was "iCE 0.2 build 1092" and EXchess seemed to try to build an opening book after it received that engine name and exited with a file not found error.

So just a hint, maybe you want to fix that if the bug is still in there. For the mentioned tournament I provided a special EXchess version of iCE that told its name differently so EXchess survived the initialization.

Thomas...
This bug is probably still there; however, it should be easy to fix. Will do so in the next release.... based on the reports coming in, a number of these issues might warrant a 6.02 release in a few days. I've fixed most of them already, but of course, will need to test to see that no other problem was introduced.

Thanks!

- Dan
tpetzke

Post by tpetzke »

... and some tried Linux and just don't like it.

Thomas...