Scid error on CCRL pgn file imports

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

FlavusSnow

Scid error on CCRL pgn file imports

Post by FlavusSnow »

I've been getting an error saving to database when I try to import a CCRL sourced pgn. The error occurs at about 260,000 games and states exactly: "Error saving game in database." Also, after the error the index is corrupt. I've had no problems importing similarly sized pgn files from CEGT and have ensured that the problem files from CCRL are not corrupt and function well in other readers. I'm baffled. Any ideas? Has anyone else had this issue?
Adam Hair

Re: Scid error on CCRL pgn file imports

Post by Adam Hair »

FlavusSnow wrote:I've been getting an error saving to database when I try to import a CCRL sourced pgn. The error occurs at about 260,000 games and states exactly: "Error saving game in database." Also, after the error the index is corrupt. I've had no problems importing similarly sized pgn files from CEGT and have ensured that the problem files from CCRL are not corrupt and function well in other readers. I'm baffled. Any ideas? Has anyone else had this issue?
Actually, the problem occurs at the 262,144th game, which is 2^18 (as Kirill pointed out to me once).
FlavusSnow

Post by FlavusSnow »

Why would I not then also get that error when importing a 900,000+ game pgn file sourced from CEGT? It seems to me that if it were an issue with the size of a variable at 2^18 then it would be repeatable regardless of pgn source so long as it surpassed the limit. Its odd that it only happens with CCRL files.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

FlavusSnow wrote:Why would I not then also get that error when importing a 900,000+ game pgn file sourced from CEGT? It seems to me that if it were an issue with the size of a variable at 2^18 then it would be repeatable regardless of pgn source so long as it surpassed the limit. Its odd that it only happens with CCRL files.
I have also never had a problem with CEGT pgns. Only CCRL pgns. And I can not determine why.
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Does the problem occur with Scid vs. PC-4.6 ? I've made a few fixes to the parser. How does it go ?
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Actually you'll have to use the latest snapshot
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scidvsp ... p/download
Overwrite scid.gui and scid.exe in scidvspc-4.6 with the files from this snapshot.
Or under linux, check out subversion with
svn co https://scidvspc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scidvspc
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

stevenaaus wrote:Does the problem occur with Scid vs. PC-4.6 ? I've made a few fixes to the parser. How does it go ?
I tried Scid vs PC 4.6 earlier today and it still occurred. I have tried several modifications to the pgn but the error still occurs at the 262,144th game.

:?

EDIT: I have not tried the latest snapshot. Will do so now.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

The error still occurs.
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

If you can find the offending game PGN, please post it or email me.
Cheers
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Adam Hair wrote:Actually, the problem occurs at the 262,144th game, which is 2^18 (as Kirill pointed out to me once).
Yes - this is interesting. Where is the download link ?
The fact that Scid can import more games than this means perhaps that the CCRL program may have something funny at this number.

Have you tried the pgnscid command line tool. It comes with scid and creates an si4 from the command line. It's more reliable for some reason.