Levy's interview on Chessbase about ICGA/rybka

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BubbaTough

Re: Levy's interview on Chessbase about ICGA/rybka

Post by BubbaTough »

Rebel wrote: All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer
I hope your not suggesting I should believe everything that is ridiculed and violently opposed :shock:.

-Sam
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

A Distel wrote:
Rebel wrote:
bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Don wrote:
jdart wrote:Ok, I will agree there are some vocal opponents who are not reasonable. But if I also oppose some of what ICGA has done, that does not mean I side with the most unreasonable opponents in all their unreasonableness.
And I'm not saying that you do. You seem like a reasonable person to me but I do think you have been persuaded by the constant negativity and unfair vilification of the ICGA and anyone perceived to be associated with it.

If you hear enough negative talk, the brain cannot separate it from fact and you start believing it. That is called propaganda and it works extremely well. It's the only way to get entire countries to go to war against other countries due to the will of some leader or leaders.
Does this logic apply to the 5 year long Rybka=Fruit campaign in CCC as well ?
What "campaign"??? The "campaign" to reverse-engineer Rybka 1.0 beta to prove it was derived from Fruit, contrary to the rules. You use inflammatory words like "campaign" when the correct term was simply "5 year investigation." Culminating in the letter YOU signed that caused the ICGA to formally investigate. Never forget YOU were a signatory on the letter that finally caused this to blow up... The rybka stuff had pretty well died away here until that was done.
Some people are able to change their mind. Apparently you have a problem with that.
Rebel,

Change your mind is meant to reveal the truth, not to create it, right Rebel?
Are you saying he is making things up, and if so do you have a proof of him doing that ?
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

BubbaTough wrote:
Rebel wrote: All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer
I hope your not suggesting I should believe everything that is ridiculed and violently opposed :shock:.

-Sam
I like to answer obvious trolling with quotes.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Rebel wrote: I like to answer obvious trolling with quotes.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Rebel wrote:
BubbaTough wrote:
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

-Sam
I like to answer obvious trolling with quotes.
Rebel,
I assume your love for quotation covers the absence of original thoughts,
but i understand your drift to answer with quotes it's a bit like plagiarizing.
Maybe that's why your defending Vasik Rajlich he also loves plagiarizing.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Damir wrote:
A Distel wrote:
Rebel wrote:
bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Don wrote:
jdart wrote:Ok, I will agree there are some vocal opponents who are not reasonable. But if I also oppose some of what ICGA has done, that does not mean I side with the most unreasonable opponents in all their unreasonableness.
And I'm not saying that you do. You seem like a reasonable person to me but I do think you have been persuaded by the constant negativity and unfair vilification of the ICGA and anyone perceived to be associated with it.

If you hear enough negative talk, the brain cannot separate it from fact and you start believing it. That is called propaganda and it works extremely well. It's the only way to get entire countries to go to war against other countries due to the will of some leader or leaders.
What "campaign"??? The "campaign" to reverse-engineer Rybka 1.0 beta to prove it was derived from Fruit, contrary to the rules. You use inflammatory words like "campaign" when the correct term was simply "5 year investigation." Culminating in the letter YOU signed that caused the ICGA to formally investigate. Never forget YOU were a signatory on the letter that finally caused this to blow up... The rybka stuff had pretty well died away here until that was done.
Some people are able to change their mind. Apparently you have a problem with that.
Rebel,

Are you saying he is making things up, and if so do you have a proof of him doing that ?
Yes i'm saying he is making things up.... proof! Read the ICGA report and
you see Rybka was largely based on the code of other engines!
bob

Post by bob »

A Distel wrote:
Damir wrote:
A Distel wrote:
Rebel wrote:
bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Don wrote:

Rebel,

Some is certainly made up. Definitions of things like "semantic equivalence" and such. But some is just a problem of looking through "Rybka-colored glasses." if you wear glasses that only transmit wavelengths in the red range, it is absolutely impossible to see things that are green, yellow, blue, etc. you just see red. Period. So none of the other colors exist no matter how hard you look...
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

bob wrote:
A Distel wrote:
Damir wrote:
A Distel wrote:
Rebel wrote:
bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Don wrote:

Rebel,

Some is certainly made up. Definitions of things like "semantic equivalence" and such. But some is just a problem of looking through "Rybka-colored glasses." if you wear glasses that only transmit wavelengths in the red range, it is absolutely impossible to see things that are green, yellow, blue, etc. you just see red. Period. So none of the other colors exist no matter how hard you look...
+10
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

A Distel wrote:
bob wrote:
A Distel wrote:
Damir wrote:
A Distel wrote:
Rebel wrote:
bob wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Don wrote:

Rebel,

+10
[MODERATION]

There is no more new information coming up, and this has been true for several messages. It is serving, at the moment, no useful purpose. We were hoping this was about to die peacefully (or pick up with something substantial). That is better than us interfering, but, maybe next time.

Thread is locked.

Miguel