Another change of heart

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Another change of heart

Post by mar »

dj wrote: Eh? I did not say that I wanted a poll. I suggested that instead of producing puerile posts such as "+1" or "count me in" your might start a poll instead. I also added that it would be better not to write anything at all if "+1" and "count me in" is the limit of your vocabulary and intelligence. Like you I am not on either side. What I cannot abide is somebody - whether on one side or the other or on no side at all - who writes something as inane as +10 or +1.

Just as well that you add that you" don't care about what others think of me."
"vocabulary and intelligence": my english may suck but while i am a puer you are a puella. "best" reagards.

Martin
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

dj wrote:
mar wrote:
dj wrote:All these +10 and +1 posts are pointless - just as it would be for others to respond with -10 or -1. The way to count numbers is not for dozens of posts with +1 or -1 but a poll. Better still would be to post nothing unless one actually has something to say other than a mere "agreed" or its wordy variants such as "count me as well".
+1 means I am annoyed by all these neverending Rybka/ICGA threads. I'm on neither side, i don't care about Rybka and I don't care about ICGA. And I don't care about what others think of me.
If you want to run a poll, do it. If you find my post useless, fine. I feel the same for yours.
Eh? I did not say that I wanted a poll. I suggested that instead of producing puerile posts such as "+1" or "count me in" your might start a poll instead. I also added that it would be better not to write anything at all if "+1" and "count me in" is the limit of your vocabulary and intelligence. Like you I am not on either side. What I cannot abide is somebody - whether on one side or the other or on no side at all - who writes something as inane as +10 or +1.

+6.5
Had I wanted to stand as an individual for reelection as a CTF moderator, my election statement would have been a declaration of intent to ban any poster who simply posted "+1". In fact, during the short time in which I considered the possibility of standing, I prepared and saved the draft below:

“I intend to progressively implement the following sanctions, listed in increasing order of severity, against members who continually respond to the posts of other members with the comment “+1”:
a circumcision without anaesthetic and with a blunt knife.
b brain extraction through the nostrils with a wire hook.
c eternal banishment to the Rybka forum, to dwell in the midst of such as “Banned for Cheating”.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

K I Hyams wrote:
dj wrote:
mar wrote:
dj wrote:All these +10 and +1 posts are pointless - just as it would be for others to respond with -10 or -1. The way to count numbers is not for dozens of posts with +1 or -1 but a poll. Better still would be to post nothing unless one actually has something to say other than a mere "agreed" or its wordy variants such as "count me as well".
+1 means I am annoyed by all these neverending Rybka/ICGA threads. I'm on neither side, i don't care about Rybka and I don't care about ICGA. And I don't care about what others think of me.
If you want to run a poll, do it. If you find my post useless, fine. I feel the same for yours.
Eh? I did not say that I wanted a poll. I suggested that instead of producing puerile posts such as "+1" or "count me in" your might start a poll instead. I also added that it would be better not to write anything at all if "+1" and "count me in" is the limit of your vocabulary and intelligence. Like you I am not on either side. What I cannot abide is somebody - whether on one side or the other or on no side at all - who writes something as inane as +10 or +1.

+6.5
Had I wanted to stand as an individual for reelection as a CTF moderator, my election statement would have been a declaration of intent to ban any poster who simply posted "+1". In fact, during the short time in which I considered the possibility of standing, I prepared and saved the draft below:

“I intend to progressively implement the following sanctions, listed in increasing order of severity, against members who continually respond to the posts of other members with the comment “+1”:
c eternal banishment to the Rybka forum, to dwell in the midst of such as “Banned for Cheating”.
If I may ask, what bothers you about such responses?
dj

Post by dj »

Adam Hair wrote:
K I Hyams wrote:
dj wrote:
mar wrote:

+6.5

If you have to ask the question then you would not understand the answer.
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Adam Hair wrote:
K I Hyams wrote:
dj wrote:
mar wrote:

+6.5

First, I would point out that I may not be alone in finding such responses irritating. When I first gained access to the internet, I bought a book about it. One section of the book was about “netiquette” in that section, it advised people that others would find it irritating if one simply replied to posts with the phrase “I agree”

I note that at least one member of the moderator team took the surprising decision to lock a thread because:
Miguel wrote: There is no more new information coming up, and this has been true for several messages. It is serving, at the moment, no useful purpose. We were hoping this was about to die peacefully (or pick up with something substantial).Miguel
The decision to lock the thread was surprising for a number of reasons, one of which is that those who find it boring know what it contains and need not open it. “+1” posts are vacuous but the readers are not offered the luxury of avoiding opening them. I couldn’t care less whether contributor “X” agrees with a point made by contributor “Y” if he has nothing new to add.
Last edited by K I Hyams on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

dj wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
K I Hyams wrote:
dj wrote:
mar wrote:

+6.5

If you have to ask the question then you would not understand the answer.
And I could respond to you "Missed your afternoon nap, did you?". Yet, exchanges like these among members convey even less content then the simple '+1' posts.

The purpose of the question (to Mr. Hyams, might I add) was to determine if those types of responses interferes with reading the fora. I can understand if a person uses thread view, then such posts would be a nuisance. Otherwise, I can only surmise that it is a matter of taste. For '+1' posts do not interfere much, if at all, when using flat view.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

K I Hyams wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
K I Hyams wrote:
dj wrote:
mar wrote:

+6.5

First, I would point out that I may not be alone in finding such responses irritating. When I first gained access to the internet, I bought a book about it. One section of the book was about “netiquette” in that section, it advised people that others would find it irritating if one simply replied to posts with the phrase “I agree”

I note that at least one member of the moderator team took the surprising decision to lock a thread because:
Miguel wrote: There is no more new information coming up, and this has been true for several messages. It is serving, at the moment, no useful purpose. We were hoping this was about to die peacefully (or pick up with something substantial).Miguel
The decision to lock the thread was surprising for a number of reasons, one of which is that those who find it boring know what it contains and need not open it. “+1” posts do not contain new information either but the readers are not offered the luxury of avoiding opening them. I couldn’t care less whether contributor “X” agrees with a point made by contributor “Y” if he has nothing new to add.
I see. "Y" may would like to know if "X" agrees or disagrees, as conveyed by '+1' or '-1'. But, I do agree that if you are "Z", you may have no interest in reading 'yea' or 'nay' responses between other individuals. And if you use thread view, you have no idea what is in a post until you click on it. Or, if you get email alerts to new posts in a certain thread, you may wish for the new posts to contain content. I mistakenly did that once, and I received 30 notifications concerning new posts. I believe 4 of the posts were worth reading.

Thanks for your reply,

Adam
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

hgm wrote:What is wrong with moving posts where they belong, irrespective if they are annoying to people?
Nothing is wrong with it.

My only objection is for the mentioned reason that
it annoys the majority of users(the poster cannot know it and this claim does not need to be correct in order to justify moving the post)
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Adam Hair wrote:
dj wrote:
mar wrote:+1 count me as well (+1 to Tom as I prefer thread view :)
All these +10 and +1 posts are pointless - just as it would be for others to respond with -10 or -1. The way to count numbers is not for dozens of posts with +1 or -1 but a poll. Better still would be to post nothing unless one actually has something to say other than a mere "agreed" or its wordy variants such as "count me as well".
+1

Seriously, those posts contain more content than they are given credit for. In a face to face conversation, if the listener agrees with the speaker, he/she nods their head. Since there are no physical cues that convey agreement in this sort of format, I find that '+1' an acceptable substitute.
Sorry, Adam but we have no chat here but a forum thus I find the analogy
quite awkward. May be it is a different view for people at a 'certain' age?
I still insist a forum is a forum ... not a chat ;-)
(well I really hate this +/- posts, we could easily add a like/dislike button
instead and ruin the whole thing except for the 'children' I guess)

Guenther
Andres Valverde

Post by Andres Valverde »

mar wrote:
+1
Saludos, Andres