To Vincent Diepeven

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Flesher

Re: To Vincent Diepeven

Post by Robert Flesher »

fern wrote:Almost surely, I dare to say, Vincent has a "private" UCI version of Diep and of recent elaboration.
If so, he is committing the worst sin to this community: to keep a private engine out of our hands.
God forbid it...

Fern

I believe this approach may work.

1) Locate Vincent
2) Tap on shoulder from behind.
3) Ask Vincent, "Does this rag smell like chloroform?".
4) Fern obtains exclusive Diep release for all us at talkchess.
5) Relocate to a country without extradition.

I believe that by using these steps and these alone is the only way you will every see Diep in the hands of the public. :lol:
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

fern wrote:Vincent, what happened to your projects for Diep?
Did I miss something?
I would like to see a UCI version to run in my fast comp.

Fern
I have an old DIEP 1407 version (1994) on my PC. I would be more than happy to include it for download on my oldies collection page provided Vincent gives permission.
fern

Post by fern »

Hi Ed.
In fact that program can be got from a central Europe country.
The problem is to make it run in W7, thing That I already solverd with D-Fend Reloaded....
Now I will try YOURS DOS Rebels with it, if you do not mind

Fern
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Hi Fern, this is great software indeed, DOSBOX at full screen.
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

fern wrote:Almost surely, I dare to say, Vincent has a "private" UCI version of Diep and of recent elaboration.
If so, he is committing the worst sin to this community: to keep a private engine out of our hands.
God forbid it...

Fern
Don't forget Bruce Moreland's powerful program "ferret" I know he has it under his pillow every night,heehee. I have said this before and I will say it again. I know he's still working on it and when it comes out of hiding it will crush everything.
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

Here is a page with a download link to a freeware version of DIEP... http://www.jadis.demon.co.uk/misctext/download.htm this version of DIEP IS 1407 , great app.
diep

Post by diep »

Did I miss something?

Fern
Hi Fernando,

Had missed your posting, sorry for that; until Andre van Ark pointed me to it.

Diep project has been revived especially to produce a good version for the cluster i'm building here (kind of nearly done with it).

There is no commercial plans for Diep.

Might there be commercial plans, realize that to play strong in uci you must build all kind of tricks to avoid getting dicked in Fritz GUI, not sure i like to do that.

Dicking is the polite wording here.

For example it gives default a 1MB hashtable starting fritz8.

There is more problems than this.

Then you will post here it loses everything, because of not avoiding cheating tricks. Why support UCI then in the first place? Doing much effort to get it strong then lose 1000 elo by supporting UCI, sounds like S&M to me.

I haven't decided there. In meantime it does support DEP protocol (diep engine protocol) which is a more readable format than UCI.

A commercial release has always far stretching consequences and there is no such plans for that right now.

What does happen is improving playstrength of Diep and getting it to work at a cluster.

Vincent

p.s. before things work great at cluster that'll take months and months.
diep

Post by diep »

Rebel wrote:
Did I miss something?

Fern
I have an old DIEP 1407 version (1994) on my PC. I would be more than happy to include it for download on my oldies collection page provided Vincent gives permission.
Why didn't you mail me? I might have said something different then than what i say now.

Of course you're not allowed to do this Ed!
fern

Post by fern »

What about winboard protocol?
Many of us would like to see Diep in action and we just have common PC units, not clusters :-)

I am prepared to pay a sum for a workable advanced diep running in winboard. I am sure many are, too.

Remember that the first and last time I purchased a diep from you it was a simple and private op: I sent the money and you sent me the floppies. That
is.
Now is lot easier.

a hug
Fern
diep

Post by diep »

fern wrote:What about winboard protocol?
Many of us would like to see Diep in action and we just have common PC units, not clusters :-)

I am prepared to pay a sum for a workable advanced diep running in winboard. I am sure many are, too.

Remember that the first and last time I purchased a diep from you it was a simple and private op: I sent the money and you sent me the floppies. That
is.
Now is lot easier.

a hug
Fern
Diep exes usually work for protover2.

However some posters here when they had Diep, 10+ years ago,
they just didn't know how to get winboard protocol to work.

Engines that are textmode only without installer it's useless from a commercial viewpoint. Even majority of the posters here doesn't know how to get it working installed. 'Uncle Bob' , not exactly a linux beginner, when he tried some years ago some Diep version again at my request, forgot he had to set the shared memory limit, causing Diep to not work in linux :)
So that took another few emails.

The mistakes are huge. One of the CCT events Diep joined at a 8 core box Xeon, the operator basically lost a full core to VNC logging in remote there, causing Diep to lose plies of search depth and over factor 2 in nps (the search depth loss is much bigger than the nps loss in such case as it's an exponential effect there). It's already quite something it worked at all - StockFish would slow down factor 1000 in nps for example :)

I simply see that the engines that usually get highest elo are the ones which have most fool proof forms of search and parameter settings. Getting all that right is a special expertise if you ask me :)