8 core tournament with live broadcast

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Hugo

Re: 8 core tournament with live broadcast

Post by Hugo »

Graham Banks wrote:At the end of the month (when I have a two week break from work), I intend running a tournament with each engine using up to 8 cores (ponder off).

It will be a non-CCRL tournament run at a 40/40 repeating time control and will be broadcast through either Playchess or TLCV.

It will be open to private engines, latest beta versions, as well as publicly available ones.
Any authors wishing for their private engine or latest beta to participate should contact me by email.
Hello Graham

this is a great idea, and I wish you all the best for this tournament.
I also am planing to play a bigger tournament with 8 core usage. I have the new Intel E5 16 core for that, so I could use ponder ON. I am just waiting for Hiarcs and komodo MP. The qualifcation for all participants will be 4 cores played. The finals (quarter, half and final) shall be used by 8 cores each engine and ponder ON. I am still thinking on what fits many interests.

regards, Clemens
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Hugo wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:At the end of the month (when I have a two week break from work), I intend running a tournament with each engine using up to 8 cores (ponder off).

It will be a non-CCRL tournament run at a 40/40 repeating time control and will be broadcast through either Playchess or TLCV.

It will be open to private engines, latest beta versions, as well as publicly available ones.
Any authors wishing for their private engine or latest beta to participate should contact me by email.
Hello Graham

I also am planing to play a bigger tournament with 8 core usage. I have the new Intel E5 16 core for that, so I could use ponder ON. I am just waiting for Hiarcs and komodo MP. The qualifcation for all participants will be 4 cores played. The finals (quarter, half and final) shall be used by 8 cores each engine and ponder ON. I am still thinking on what fits many interests.

regards, Clemens

Hello dear Clemens,

Yes...we need more tournaments as the current one by Graham

For example,its will be great if there will be registrations by Engine Programers (with own books)

I mean engine registrations like SCCT/Testo book tournaments

In this way, the new tournaments will be very exiting and we will see no any hardware speed advantage

Best Wishes,
Sedat
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

Hello dear Clemens,

For example,its will be great if there will be registrations by Engine Programers (with own books)

In this way, the new tournaments will be very exiting and we will see no any hardware speed advantage

Best Wishes,
Sedat
Yes, equal speed is essential I feel. It always bugged me that one machine enters with a quad and the next one enters with 5,000 cores. This asymmetry in hardware is not a good test of which program is the best.
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Kingghidorah wrote:
Hello dear Clemens,

Best Wishes,
Sedat
Yes, equal speed is essential I feel. It always bugged me that one machine enters with a quad and the next one enters with 5,000 cores. This asymmetry in hardware is not a good test of which program is the best.
+1

Just i'd like to add,
Unfortunately still there is no such serious tournaments on equal speed hardware (registrations by Top programers) and i hope we will find a such hero, who will organize periodically such interesting LIVE events for the future

And if there will be PRIZE for the Winners, then i think the number of registrations will grow up....

Regards,
Sedat
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Hugo wrote:Hello Graham

regards, Clemens
Really looking forward to your tournament Clemens. I do hope that you'll have a live broadcast. :)

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Graham Banks

Starting this weekend :-)

Post by Graham Banks »

It will be an 8 round swiss run at 40/40 repeating.
Ponder off with a generic book for all (limited to a depth of 8 moves).
Will probably be broadcast in playchess, otherwise in TLCV.

The GUI will either be ChessGUI or Fritz (to be decided, although using the former means not having to use the wb2uci adapters for winboard engines). If Deep Fritz plays, of course the Fritz GUI will be a necessity.

Engines I hope to include, although I'm not sure which ones are unable to use 8 cores yet (only engines that can use 8 cores will participate):

Houdini 2.0c
Stockfish 2.2.2
Rybka 4.1
Critter 1.6a
Vitruvius 1.11C
Ivanhoe 9.46h
Deep Saros 3.2
Naum 4.2
Chiron 1.1a
Deep Fritz 13 (only if I have it by the weekend)
Deep Junior 13
Deep Shredder 12
Spike 1.4 Leiden
Protector 1.4.0
Hiarcs 13.2
Zappa Mexico II
Spark 1.0
Onno 1.2.70
Deep Sjeng WC2008
Thinker 5.4d Inert
Toga II 1.4.1SE
Scorpio 2.7
Bright 0.5c
MinkoChess 1.3
Crafty 23.4
Tornado 4.88
Cyclone xTreme
Jonny 4.00
BugChess2 1.9
Loop 13.6
Gaviota 0.85.1

I'm happy to include any other engines that can use 8 cores, if the engine author lets me know.

If you know that any of the above engines cannot use 8 cores, please let me know, as it will save me time.

Known private engines or latest betas of known engines will be included if the author emails me a copy before the weekend. Of course, you have my word that it will not be shared.

Don't think I've missed anything?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
jmartus

Post by jmartus »

what should the average ply do you expect during the games? I remember seeing 17-18 ply searches between rybka and zappa mexico II at long time control back in the day and thought that was impressive.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

jmartus wrote:what should the average ply do you expect during the games? I remember seeing 17-18 ply searches between rybka and zappa mexico II at long time control back in the day and thought that was impressive.
I don't really keep a close track of these things, but probably around the mid to high twenties I guess, depending on the engine. 8-)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
attakinski

Re: Starting this weekend :-)

Post by attakinski »

it would be a surprise to me if CM XI could not run on 8 cpu's....
gleperlier

Re: Starting this weekend :-)

Post by gleperlier »

attakinski wrote:it would be a surprise to me if CM XI could not run on 8 cpu's....
+1